Gemstone Mine

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

Hi, currently have a playset of Gemstone Mine in good condition. Time spiral version. Someone wants to buy the playset for 80 dollars. Is this a good sell?

Or should I not sell, and wait for the card to get higher?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 4 years ago

Gemstone has no reason to suddenly explode in price- it won't be a target for a buy out, it is not RL and there is no new tech or deck for it, so waiting for it to go up seems bad. The general rule is if you don't want and use the cards, sell and get something that you will use now or that you know will go up. I would rather sell lots of 80 dollar sets and turn them into liquid but safe bets like revised dual lands if I am looking to insure against reprint price drops, but it would be just as valid to convert straight away into staples that have recently been reprinted like shocks or legacy break out cards like Elvish Reclaimer that could one day go nuts in Modern.
As for the price, use SCG and Mkm (cardmarket) for a rough guide for trade, use ebay completed or tcg for sales.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

thanks for the explanation. Ok, I'm moving them.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

drmarkb

Post by drmarkb » 4 years ago

Good luck- as with all cards you have a chance to make or lose cash as new decks come into fashion, but I have shipped a few of these out this past year with no regrets as yet.

SquirrelToken

Post by SquirrelToken » 4 years ago

Gemstone Mine is also the kind of card that could be reprinted in a supplemental product like Commander decks or a Masters set and nobody would really bat an eye, but the price would crash. It's a useful card to have, but I'd definitely ship them if you're not using them.

The most breakout tech possible for EDH was probably already printed - Atraxa. I can't imagine any other commander possible who'd want that card any more than a four-color deck that dumps counters on everything.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Finance”