Why are the signature spellbook cards cheaper than other versions?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

Today I was shopping a bit at SCG looking for a few useful cards to put into the cart for next month. Then I noticed that the "signature spellbook" cards are cheaper than other versions of the same card.

For example, the rest in peace in Gideon's signature spellbook is cheaper than the others, also the thread's of disloyalty in Jace spellbook are cheaper as well. Is the reason simply because the cards in the spellbook are the newest versions of the card?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

TearsOfTomorrow

Post by TearsOfTomorrow » 4 years ago

I know next to nothing about MtG secondary market works, but I do know one thing: a gem that MIGHT be in a dangerous, inaccessible place is going to cost more than a gem that is GUARANTEED to be in an easily accessed area anyone can go to.

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 4 years ago

I might be able to add something to this.

theories anyway. . .cause why not

1, people probably bought the spellbook for a different card thus flooding the market with the remaining cards that are not particularly different then the originals. in my case i bought it for RKF blackblade art, and i would value this under a original printing

2, the art itself doesn't stand up on its own. this implies that if you had to pick between a spellbook card and the original you would pick the original.

3, rest in peace is a niche card that sees some top tier play. it has had a additional printing with 25, but you want people to be on the new card. lower its price slightly to force a lean to for that player that doesn't care about printing.

4, the truth (this is where what is real is the truth lol)

5, also, maybe the price of original moments peace has had upward movement and the baseline is actually warped? (i think this one can easily be debunked)

lol cheers

SquirrelToken

Post by SquirrelToken » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
Today I was shopping a bit at SCG looking for a few useful cards to put into the cart for next month. Then I noticed that the "signature spellbook" cards are cheaper than other versions of the same card.

For example, the rest in peace in Gideon's signature spellbook is cheaper than the others, also the thread's of disloyalty in Jace spellbook are cheaper as well. Is the reason simply because the cards in the spellbook are the newest versions of the card?
Good question. Basically, the spellbook flooded the market at $22. That's the upper bound on what a set of 8 cards will cost, and a lot of that has to be absorbed by the foil. So there's no room for people to sell Rest In Peace (not a niche card, BTW) for $15 - people will just go out and buy a whole spellbook instead. So, sellers have to lower their prices.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

ah, I see. Thanks, so that explains it.

Reason for asking the question is.. my baseless imagination that the card stock of the cards in the spellbook might be lower quality than other printings. Glad it's all cleared up now. Have put some into my shopping cart. :)

EDIT: noticed that the thread got moved. Well, this does fit in the finance section of the forum.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Finance”