Is there a chance of tarmogoyf prices coming back up?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 2 years ago

Hi, as everyone probably knows. Tarmo is just a 20-30 dollar card now. Unfortunately, bought mine when they were 50 dollar something, and I even had one that's bought at 70 dollar. lol

times have been difficult here in my country.. is it worth selling my playset of M17 tarmos for 80 dollar now? Planning to use the money to help buy a new gpu for pc. Or is there a chance the price of the goyf could rise back up again?
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Ed06288
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ed06288 » 2 years ago

I feel that this is the bottom for Tarmogoyf, although I also said that after the Ultimate Masters reprint. I think it could modestly rise in price, similar to what Dark Confidant did after the Double Masters reprint.

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 2 years ago

if I may, is goyf still used in all the decks or is the "tech" old (or outdated). cause if this is the bottom this seems like a good opportunity to finally get a playset but not sure I see it in many lists anymore

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 2 years ago

I would like to restate by saying that it seems that the glamour of goyf is gone. over shadowed by RagavanRagavan, Nimble Pilferer. id also note that ol tarmo has several printing but still holds a spot in a top deck. I suppose if they walk away from reprints for a couple years you could see a increase?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

yeah, I still sometimes see tarmo in tournament reports..

maybe someday it's price will come up again.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

SquirrelToken

Post by SquirrelToken » 2 years ago

In order for 'Goyf's price to rise, demand has to rise. That means that not only does it need to appear in a Modern deck, it needs to crush. AND more physical Modern events need to fire. Vegas was a start, but we really need to see a lot more big events for the price of a card like Goyf, which now has a fairly robust supply, so start to pick up. So I don't see prices going up in the near future.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

@SquirrelToken

I see... well then, hoping / praying goyf starts to ground pound some decks. So I could resell at a decent price. lol

events are still not firing a lot here in the Philippines, because we are slow to recover from corona. :sweat:

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 2 years ago

I don't know how much room it has for a price increase at this point. It's been printed so much and I'd say its level of play is at its lowest since I've seen it

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

I really think it will depend on the version. I suspect that the extended art boxtopper and Future Sight printings will rebound in a year or two, but I think the rest will stay in the $20 to $30 range. Though, I would like to preface that with I also don't know how much The List printing of Tarmogoyf will affect the Future Sight one.

wildfire393
Answers: 1

Post by wildfire393 » 2 years ago

One thing to note is that Tarmogoyf has had a minor resurgence in Modern, being something you can include in Lurrus of the Dream-Den decks, while the various Delve fatties are not. Lurrus Jund is the second most popular Lurrus deck after Hammer Time, and consistently runs 4 copies of it. This somewhat offsets the fact that the card has effectively vanished from the Legacy meta, with a scant handful of RUG Delver/Canadian Threshold lists since Ragavan and DRC were printed, and some of those not even running Tarmogoyf.

If paper play in general picks up again post-Pandemic and this brings a resurgence of Modern, this could lead to more demand for Tarmogoyf. Couple that with no reprints for a few more years and it could likely creep back up to the $50 mark. I doubt we'll ever see it hit $80, $100, or its grand heights at $200 though ever again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Finance”