So, the first Chapter of the Kaldheim story is up. [Potential Spoilers]

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

And it seems pretty obvious that Kaya was fighting Vorinclex itself.

Theory: From what little info we have, it looks like the reason the Phyrexians are coming is because New Phyrexia and Kaldheim are about to crash into each other in a Doomskar. From what little we learned from the world building part of the stream the other day, A Doomskar starts with a weakening of the dimensional barriers, which could have lead some Phyrexians through.

The implications of this is that New Phyrexia is hurtling through the blind eternities, much like Shandalar, but much more violently.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Zazdor

Post by Zazdor » 3 years ago

I haven't read the story yet, but I love a potential consideration of planes acting as Shandalar did as a rogue plane! I'll try to get to it later this week.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

I thought it made pretty good reading, too. Nice to be able to say.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
I thought it made pretty good reading, too. Nice to be able to say.
It was very well written. Kaya having zero clue what a Phyrexian is, or what was obviously mycosynth for that matter, but instinctively warning her traveling companions not to touch it was a nice touch. As was the reveal of the God.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

CommanderMaster999
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

Oh geez look at chapter 3

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2021-01-20
SPOILER
Show
Hide
See, this Horrible Beast had heard about Tibalt's many talents and desperately needed his help. The beast knew that a handsome and powerful planeswalker such as Tibalt would never stoop to helping a hideous, stupid monster unless his hand was forced, so the Horrible Beast snuck up on him one day and stuck Tibalt with a nasty, tricky sort of poison. He called this poison a "seed"—and the only way the Horrible Beast would remove it was if Tibalt caused a distraction on his behalf.

What the monster didn't realize was that Tibalt had already been planning to stir up trouble in Kaldheim. So, while the wise and mighty planeswalker agreed to the Horrible Beast's terms, he was really only doing what he had meant to do anyway.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Holy **** tibalt is gonna end up compleated?!?!

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Nope, Tibalt is a planeswalker and thus immune to the compleation process by way of having a spark.

CommanderMaster999

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
3 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Nope, Tibalt is a planeswalker and thus immune to the compleation process by way of having a spark.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
We gone over this zillions of times with people

Walkers are not immune to compleation tezzert had to take a antidote to prevent himself from that

It takes way longer for walkers because it's got to snuff out the spark

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
3 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Walkers are not immune to compleation tezzert had to take a antidote to prevent himself from that

SPOILER
Show
Hide
I am pretty sure that is different from what we were told in Scars of Mirrodin because Karn near instantly got purified when he got Venser's spark. Not to mention that WoTC has stated multiple times that Phyrexians, being artificial beings, can't house a spark.

It may be different for Tezz specifically because he is partially mechanical to begin with due to having replaced parts of himself with etherium.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide

SPOILER
Show
Hide
I am pretty sure that is different from what we were told in Scars of Mirrodin because Karn near instantly got purified when he got Venser's spark. Not to mention that WoTC has stated multiple times that Phyrexians, being artificial beings, can't house a spark.

It may be different for Tezz specifically because he is partially mechanical to begin with due to having replaced parts of himself with etherium.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Yeah, and it makes no sense for the creative team to mention Vorinclex implanting Tibalt with his "seed" if Tibalt is indeed inherently immune. This "seed" is a chekov's gun IMO, simply by virtue of mentioning it guarantees it'll go off at some point. I personally wouldn't mind the Phyrexians putting a little %$#% like Tibalt through his paces with the horror of compleation, as it might scrub off some of his chaotic evil-for-evil's-sake nonsense and give him some actual purpose by the end of it. And ain't no one gonna save his ass either, having literally and figuratively burned everyone who encounters him. As the old saying goes, the enemy of my enemy is my friend and I haaaaate Demon Skrillex a whole bunch. Phyrexians are rad though, hope to see more of them soon.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
3 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide

SPOILER
Show
Hide

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Yeah, and it makes no sense for the creative team to mention Vorinclex implanting Tibalt with his "seed" if Tibalt is indeed inherently immune. This "seed" is a chekov's gun IMO, simply by virtue of mentioning it guarantees it'll go off at some point. I personally wouldn't mind the Phyrexians putting a little %$#% like Tibalt through his paces with the horror of compleation, as it might scrub off some of his chaotic evil-for-evil's-sake nonsense and give him some actual purpose by the end of it. And ain't no one gonna save his ass either, having literally and figuratively burned everyone who encounters him. As the old saying goes, the enemy of my enemy is my friend and I haaaaate Demon Skrillex a whole bunch. Phyrexians are rad though, hope to see more of them soon.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I don't think it is supposed to compleat him as much as it is a sort of "parasite" or "egg of a parasite", intended to hatch and kill him if he didn't go along with helping the Phyrexian.

After all, Vorinclex is a praetor that represents a very warped nature. And parasites are a big, if horrific, part of nature.

It could even be something that functions like the Glistening Oil and Karn, using Tibalt as a vector to spread phyresis to multiple worlds.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide

SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I don't think it is supposed to compleat him as much as it is a sort of "parasite" or "egg of a parasite", intended to hatch and kill him if he didn't go along with helping the Phyrexian.

After all, Vorinclex is a praetor that represents a very warped nature. And parasites are a big, if horrific, part of nature.

It could even be something that functions like the Glistening Oil and Karn, using Tibalt as a vector to spread phyresis to multiple worlds.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
the glistening oil theory is interesting, but phyrexia has been trying to get their greasy hands on planewalker sparks before this, so I'd think it would be a bit short sighted to simply strap tibalt with a time bomb and command cooperation. I think, given their history and general disbelief in doing anything halfway, that if the phyrexians knew Tiablt could planeswalk they'd bother to give him the full makeover and bring him into the fold properly rather than waste a precious potential resource. But if they were next level big brain, they'd use him as a carrier as you said to spread phyresis to other inaccessible planes. Saves all the trouble of interplanar war, but phyrexians are big on invasions so who knows.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
3 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
SPOILER
Show
Hide

SPOILER
Show
Hide
the glistening oil theory is interesting, but phyrexia has been trying to get their greasy hands on planewalker sparks before this, so I'd think it would be a bit short sighted to simply strap tibalt with a time bomb and command cooperation. I think, given their history and general disbelief in doing anything halfway, that if the phyrexians knew Tiablt could planeswalk they'd bother to give him the full makeover and bring him into the fold properly rather than waste a precious potential resource. But if they were next level big brain, they'd use him as a carrier as you said to spread phyresis to other inaccessible planes. Saves all the trouble of interplanar war, but phyrexians are big on invasions so who knows.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
The old phyrexian were big on interplanar war, and that was mostly because of Yawgmoth's aspirations and because their old home was literally, and very slowly, falling apart at the seams. We don't know how these neophyrexians work other than that they want to compleat everything, and that they are driven to do so by the glistening oil. Spreading the "seed" of phyresis to other worlds through subterfuge is more cost efficient than invading a world spending untold resources and maybe losing.

CommanderMaster999

Oh and one more thing
SPOILER
Show
Hide
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2021-01-21

It's a lore on each legend

Including vorinclex
It's still unknown how he got to kaldheim but...

Wizards may have goofed and revealed the answer with one sentence
The method he used to travel between planes is also a mystery. Vorinclex's organic parts were destroyed in the journey leaving only metal and bone
Why is this the reveal let me link this
https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Planar_Bridge

If you look at the nature part
SPOILER
Show
Hide
When the Mending occurred, all existing planar portals had stopped working.[3][4] The Planar Bridge is the only known example to replicate their function The Planar Bridge, however, can only transport non-organic or dead matter Planeswalkers are the one exception
It means phyrexian metal and bones can make it like lazotep but they need to repair the organic part after entering so with this said

It's tezzert he made a deal with the praetors and vorinclex was probably a the first test subject

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

That is quite interesting indeed.

CommanderMaster999

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2021-02-03

Last chapter

Ragnorak goes down every realm fighting each other like a riot

Kaya meets niko and teaches both Tyvar and niko about planes walking

And now for the super mega big part
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Vorinclex finds esika little sanctum (very first to ever find it as well)

He kills her during her last moments vorinclex finally talks again about "not enough hunger, not enough fear to survive"

Also during the last moments she sees vorinclex drip something identical to the tyrite into the sanctum and here's where the stuff is going down

He got some tyrite (sample) from the Tyrite Sanctum then after that he singles "I'm ready return"

The description of the portal is like this
Suddenly, there was a bright, strobing light in the center of the chamber—a hissing, sparking red glow that began as a single star and spread, slowly, into a circle. The circle widened
Then after he entered the portal esika very last moment was hearing a scary voice (a phyrexian or another praetor or atraxa) say "Welcome back, Vorinclex. We step ever closer to perfection"

It's going down!!!

Oh did a mention Kaya failed to kill vorinclex on kaldheim.

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 3 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Esika's fate is still up in the air. She might be dead... or she might be undergoing compleation. Death means the gods lose their powers, compleation means the plane is in major trouble.
Either way, the Phyrexian plot thread has made me actually excited about this plane and I can't wait to go back to see the fallout from Doomskar and Vorinclex.

I do wish we got to see a bit more of the gods, they're fascinating. I'm glad they confirmed there's one more side story going up on Friday.
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

CommanderMaster999

clariwench wrote:
3 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Esika's fate is still up in the air. She might be dead... or she might be undergoing compleation. Death means the gods lose their powers, compleation means the plane is in major trouble.
Either way, the Phyrexian plot thread has made me actually excited about this plane and I can't wait to go back to see the fallout from Doomskar and Vorinclex.

I do wish we got to see a bit more of the gods, they're fascinating. I'm glad they confirmed there's one more side story going up on Friday.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Yep I did realize esika was by just barely alive after vorinclex battled/attacked her and with the "soon" part he probably injected ichor (phyrexian ichor)/glistening oil in her so she will end up compleated a little bit later
Anyway here's the last side story

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2021-02-05

Zazdor

I have not yet read the side stories (and realized I should have when I got to Chapter 5!).

My general thoughts:

- The short form (as opposed to a full novel as we had for WAR or a digital novella like we had for IKO) could help those who do not normally engage with the story to do so (since it's short and accessible).

- The final chapter had a whole lot to it, but I'll take it given the format (see first bullet).

- Was Kaya supposed to kill Vorniclex based on card art? Or was that art supposed to be her attacking him from Chapter 1?

- The general plot here reminded me of Alara: worlds colliding due to Planeswalker intervention with a good number of Planeswalker characters.

- I wish Kaya could have made some random thought about Liliana or Rat or Teyo. She at least gave a shout-out to Chandra in reference to Tibalt (re: the Chandra comic). Any more solid references to prior stories (even her Conspiracy stories) would have been welcomed, even in passing to help make some bridges.

- The gods could have benefitted from a little more exposure/establishment.

- I was really hoping for Tezzeret to play the Father of Machines, and we may have that here (as CommanderMaster999 noted). I would LOVE to write the New Phyrexia arc.... I have an itch to do some fanfiction again (it's been so long).

- The LGBTQ representation, along with racial and gender representations, were noticeable and positive here. Bravo.

- I wonder now if Tibalt was responsible at all for the mess on Ikoria...

- I hadn't caught the Phyrexian oil/seed point (I must have been skimming too quickly). I wonder if it would have been removed or how it will affect Tibalt in the future.

- The stolen tryrite is for... who? Tezzeret? The praetors? Tezzeret was Bolas's agent the same time Ramaz was. Perhaps Tezzeret learned what he needed to of tyrite from Ramaz at some point?

Overall, an enjoyable read that starts to connect some pieces.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

For the oil stuff. Scars (and I guess time spiral) set up that planeswalkers are effectively immune to the the negative effects of the oil, but that they can still spread it. Karn having lost his spark in Time Spiral is what drove part of the story in Scars block. When he got Venser's spark (and heart) to replace the Heartstone he recovered from the corruption incredibly fast. But Karn spreading the oil was what led to Memnarch's, and then Mirrodin's, corruption. The corruption (as Mycosynth) spread across Mirrodin much faster than it did on other planes because the entire plane was mostly metal to begin with. Compare with planes like Dominaria (and arguably Mercadia) that both have Phyrexian influences.

(And speaking of Phyrexian influences, it is pretty obvious by now that Phyrexians have at least visited Ravnica. I can make another thread on this topic if there is an interest, because my claim is backed up by literal evidence!)

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
(And speaking of Phyrexian influences, it is pretty obvious by now that Phyrexians have at least visited Ravnica. I can make another thread on this topic if there is an interest, because my claim is backed up by literal evidence!)
Pray tell.

cheonice
Sand is overpowered.

Post by cheonice » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
The corruption (as Mycosynth) spread across Mirrodin much faster than it did on other planes because the entire plane was mostly metal to begin with.
Gnhihihi, let's see, what the oil does to the "most metal plane ever", Kaldheim. :rimshot:
Nope, not feeling sorry for that one.

+1 for that Ravnica/Phyrexia topic.

CommanderMaster999

Zazdor wrote:
3 years ago
I have not yet read the side stories (and realized I should have when I got to Chapter 5!).

My general thoughts:

- The short form (as opposed to a full novel as we had for WAR or a digital novella like we had for IKO) could help those who do not normally engage with the story to do so (since it's short and accessible).

- The final chapter had a whole lot to it, but I'll take it given the format (see first bullet).

- Was Kaya supposed to kill Vorniclex based on card art? Or was that art supposed to be her attacking him from Chapter 1?

- The general plot here reminded me of Alara: worlds colliding due to Planeswalker intervention with a good number of Planeswalker characters.

- I wish Kaya could have made some random thought about Liliana or Rat or Teyo. She at least gave a shout-out to Chandra in reference to Tibalt (re: the Chandra comic). Any more solid references to prior stories (even her Conspiracy stories) would have been welcomed, even in passing to help make some bridges.

- The gods could have benefitted from a little more exposure/establishment.

- I was really hoping for Tezzeret to play the Father of Machines, and we may have that here (as CommanderMaster999 noted). I would LOVE to write the New Phyrexia arc.... I have an itch to do some fanfiction again (it's been so long).

- The LGBTQ representation, along with racial and gender representations, were noticeable and positive here. Bravo.

- I wonder now if Tibalt was responsible at all for the mess on Ikoria...

- I hadn't caught the Phyrexian oil/seed point (I must have been skimming too quickly). I wonder if it would have been removed or how it will affect Tibalt in the future.

- The stolen tryrite is for... who? Tezzeret? The praetors? Tezzeret was Bolas's agent the same time Ramaz was. Perhaps Tezzeret learned what he needed to of tyrite from Ramaz at some point?

Overall, an enjoyable read that starts to connect some pieces.
Actually about tezzert

How vorinclex goes back home with the tyrite may have potentionally proved tezzert innocent

In the art Emergence Zone the planar bridge is blue aura

But in the epilogue
a hissing, sparking red glow that began as a single star and spread, slowly, into a circle. The circle widened
Vorinclex left from a red one how can it be tezzert if this planar portal is red rather than blue

Zazdor

I am hesitant to accept all small details--especially those between card art and narrative as far as Magic's storytelling goes. Tezzeret is interested in artifice, he was on New Phyrexia the last time we were there in-story, and we know he as interplanar technology (the Bridge). I think a lot points to Tezzeret's involvement. However, I am fine holding out on who's behind what until we see him (and the Phyrexians) again. We also have the mysterious interloper on Ikoria. We're getting threads of plots, but hopefully some questions will be answered sooner rather than later.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Lore”