where did this Sphinx come from?

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

Hi, a few days ago, I came across this art of Consecrated Sphinx by Adame Minguez.
surprised that the pic is not the one corrupted in new phyrexia. It's a friendly looking one instead.

just as the thread title says. Anyone know which plane in the multiverse this sphinx came from?
SPOILER
Show
Hide
5957-consecrated-sphinx.jpg
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

It's from the Extra Life Secret Lair. As for the plane... I would guess Dominaria, but there doesn't seem to be an explicit declaration.

link

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

thanks for the reply. This shows that phyrexia is not needed for a sphinx to be consecrated. Would be nice to know where exactly this sphinx got "consecrated" though, and who did it, or if this occurs naturally in the species.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

con·se·crate
/ˈkänsəˌkrāt/
verb
    make or declare (something, typically a church) sacred; dedicate formally to a religious or divine purpose.
(Oxford)
Consecration just means declaring something sacred - it can be done by pretty much any religious authority, on any plane. It's not a naturally occurring attribute. Assuming Dominaria, I would imagine the Church of Serra (see: Serra Sphinx, although since that's from planar chaos...).

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!
Pronoun: he / him

Post by JovialJovian » 3 years ago

The style of the headdress makes me think Amonkhet. I'm thinking either a pre-Bolas Amonkhet, or perhaps a happy future now that he's gone.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

JovialJovian wrote:
3 years ago
The style of the headdress makes me think Amonkhet. I'm thinking either a pre-Bolas Amonkhet, or perhaps a happy future now that he's gone.
It looks nothing like the Amonkhetian Sphinxes we know of though.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

late reply. But feels like I have to mention...

... only now realized that he's smiling as he let the children paint him - so this one is really friendly. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Lore”