Just How Important is MTG Lore To You?

Card Slinger J
Nope Not Today
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Card Slinger J » 3 years ago

Considering that MTG seems to be entering the IP Crossover era with Godzilla in Ikoria: Lair of Behemoths and now Walking Dead in Secret Lair how much does the lore of MTG mean to you? Back when I started playing Paper Magic I didn't really think much of it until Lorwyn introduced Planeswalkers as a new card type where the lore centered mostly around these beings who could travel to all kinds of planes. There's an aesthetic about MTG lore that IP Crossovers spanning all kinds of pop culture can't replace that If the crossovers become too saturated throughout every format then I feel the game in a way loses it's sense of identity. It reminds me of what Tolarian Community College said about IP Crossovers in MTG, "I want to play Magic: The Gathering not the Walking Dead TCG."

So to answer the question is MTG Lore important to me? To some extent yes. Even though I don't read the MTG novels the lore still fascinates me to some degree especially the Brothers War between Urza and Mishra leading up to the Weatherlight and the Phyrexian Invasion of Dominaria by Yawgmoth. I was kind of hoping that Wizards of the Coast would focus more on returning to Mirrodin instead of Zendikar to help tie loose ends with the Praetors currently dominating there while possibly involving Jhoira's Weatherlight crew somehow. I get why they needed to explain why Nissa disbanded from the Gatewatch after the events of War of the Spark and clue us in as to what Nahiri's been up to after defeating Sorin Markov in Ravnica. I just don't understand what it is about MTG lore that doesn't sell when it comes to Wizards of the Coast and Hasbro.

Thoughts?
"Salvation is for those who are afraid of Hell. Spirituality is for those who have lived through it."

- Ralph Smart

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

The lore is very important to me.

The cards and quality of the game is the most essential aspect, but having an ongoing, arching story line is still very significant. Little side sets and supplemental product don't have to have a story line basis, but even they can benefit from this. Conspiracy, for instance, had a nice story line and was used to introduce Kaya, as well as the whole Monarch aspect that was quite awesome. But I don't expect anything from Modern Horizons, or Commander products.

The core expansion and planes we visit in the "normal releases", however, absolutely need a story. Unquestionably. It's what invests us into the characters, gives us a setting, and immerses us into the game. Any planeswalker-heavy set could be cool, but the story of War of the Spark elevated the set and is what made it all make sense and feel cohesive. It gave meaning and value to the cards, the story-driven spells, etc.

While I enjoy the game, I am also quite the Vorthos.
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

Gerrard and crew of the weatherlight, with their wizard ally Urza.. fighting against the phyrexian super villains. The cool story got me interested in the game right away.

even one of my friends from the cosplay community who never played mtg. She enjoyed reading about the Gitrog monster.

Oketra and Kefnet fighting the Scorpion God is exciting.

lore is important to me. Would not have lasted this long in the game, if there is no decent back story to keep things interesting.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Ginuqu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Ginuqu » 3 years ago

The books don't mean much to me but the capacity the game gives you to figure out its general themes just from the flavour text on the cards seems to me to be a vital part of Magic. When they add in official cards depicting characters from different properties it dilutes the imagination and the efforts of the player.
sorta mad at magic right now

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 3 years ago

It means quite a lot to me. As much as I enjoy playing the game, the real joy comes from the lore. That's why I find non-Magic IP's in black border so abhorrent.
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Lore is important to me, however certain types of crossovers/sponsorships I am fine with.

For example, the Godzilla alternate art/frames from Ikoria is fine. Things like "The Walking Dead" secret lair are not. The former doesn't affect the game other than giving an alternate piece of art and name to an actual MTG card (with the cards real name in a smaller textbox under the cards title), the latter however was just so wrong on so many levels. It wouldn't have bothered me so much if they had given the cards the same treatment as the Godzilla cards. However, it is important for WotC to find out what is acceptable and what isn't, and the Walking Dead backlash from the MTG community served that purpose. Had the walking dead cards been silver bordered I doubt anyone would have batted an eye.

Now, with that out of the way, I am actually looking forward to the D&D set for a few reasons: 1, M:TG and D&D are already canon to each other thanks to the M:TG campaign setting books made for the game. 2, Both are high fantasy settings that feature planar travel as a core of the game. 3, Read Halaster Blackcloak's entry on the official D&D wiki, that just screams he just sparked. And the thought of a planeswalking Halaster Blackcloak makes me giggle like a catholic schoolgirl about to go on her first date.

(For those who do not know who Halaster Blackcloak is, he is an "evil" wizard from the Forgotten Realms/Faerûn who is most famous for building a megadungeon known as the Undermountain, he is around 400 years old by now. Did I mention that he is human? Yeah, he's such a badass that he basically told death to bugger off. He is also completely and utterly a Nutcake with capital 'N'. And unlike the other ancient human mage, he isn't the champion of a god. He is basically the third most powerful wizard from the Forgotten Realms, the other two are either A, the champion of a God of Magic, or B, an ancient Lich.)
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 3 years ago

lore matters to me.

when I was started, a fine day, there were zero suns, now there are 5. ive wondered the razor field, the mephidross, well I didn't like it before but it doesn't bother me now, the tangle? has no tree I can't smite, and there's no depth of the quicksilver sea I cannot walk. such is at is from my perspective. all I do now is anticipate the coming of the new lord of machines. . .well sounds weird I guess I mean, we aren't machines, but rather the new. . .well the leader, someone that can compleat everyone, so everyone understands. . .the greatness. I think we are on to great things and everyone will understand one day. just let the record state that I voted for Karn, I get stared at by the other levels. . .so I keep to myself about it, in other words no hats.

Darksteel Colossus
Blightsteel Colossus

I think that about sums up how I feel about it whether or not that answers any questions.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

@The N82O Molecule

that's nicely written.

phyrexians are good at improving things. Even here in the real world, their creation has a higher price tag than the original! :P
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 3 years ago

@The Fluff :) :) XD

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Lore”