On the origins of the new legends in Jumpstart.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

The home plane of some of the new legendary creatures in Jumpstart are pretty obvious, but for the rest not so much, this thread is for discussing where these various characters are from.

The obvious ones are (so far) -

Bruvac the Grandiloquent - Clothing and name suggest that this character is a member of the Azorious Guild on Ravnica.
Kels, Fight Fixer - Is an Azra, her name has to do with games and sport, and the background indicates an arena setting, which indicates she's from the plane that Battlebond takes place on (The name escapes me at the moment.)
Sethron, Hurloon General - Is clearly from the Hurloon mountains of Dominaria, it's in his name even.

The currently unknown (so far) -

Emiel the Blessed
Inniaz, the Gale Force
Muxus, Goblin Grandee
Neyith of the Dire Hunt
Ormos, Archive Keeper
Tinybones, Trinket Thief
Zurzoth, Chaos Rider

The lists will be updated as more new legends are revealed and a consensus is reached about their origins.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Emiel - The fact that this is a legendary Unicorn and the faint Arthurian feel to the name makes me want to put this on Eldraine.

Inniaz - We can rule out Tarkir, but other than that, not the slightest clue. Probably not a known plane.

Muxus - The art has a faint Core Set feel to it, especially with the siege machines in the background; nothing other than a general impression makes me want to put this on Dominaria, but Dominaria is what I say.

Neyith - She looks for all the world like a bonder emulating her monster, so I'll say Ikoria.

Ormos - I can't think of a plane where Sphinxes look like this, and the surreal giant-book-staircase landscape is also unusual. This strange place could be one of the more abstract planes featured in Planechase, such as Iquatana.

Tinybones - This feels a lot like modern-day Urborg, which in its last appearance almost felt Tim Burtonesque. So I'm going to say Dominaria, present day.

Zurzoth - Innistrad would be the assumption for a legendary Devil but Zurzoth's seemingly too big and with too humanoid a bodyplan to be a Devil's Breach Devil.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Emiel - The fact that this is a legendary Unicorn and the faint Arthurian feel to the name makes me want to put this on Eldraine.

Inniaz - We can rule out Tarkir, but other than that, not the slightest clue. Probably not a known plane.

Muxus - The art has a faint Core Set feel to it, especially with the siege machines in the background; nothing other than a general impression makes me want to put this on Dominaria, but Dominaria is what I say.

Neyith - She looks for all the world like a bonder emulating her monster, so I'll say Ikoria.

Ormos - I can't think of a plane where Sphinxes look like this, and the surreal giant-book-staircase landscape is also unusual. This strange place could be one of the more abstract planes featured in Planechase, such as Iquatana.

Tinybones - This feels a lot like modern-day Urborg, which in its last appearance almost felt Tim Burtonesque. So I'm going to say Dominaria, present day.

Zurzoth - Innistrad would be the assumption for a legendary Devil but Zurzoth's seemingly too big and with too humanoid a bodyplan to be a Devil's Breach Devil.
Emiel - could be literally anywhere, there are no clues in the art at all. Could just as easily be Ulgrotha, Dominaria, or Shandalar for all we know.
Inniaz - Due to their appearance, we can also rule out Dominaria, Emberwilde, and Rabiah. Still leaves a lot of options.
Muxus - Does not look like a Dominarian goblin at all. We can also safely rule out Kamigawa, Tarkir, Alara, Rath, Mercadia, Lorwyn, Eldraine, and Ixalan, as their goblins are very distinct in appearance. Could be Zendikar, but the warmachines makes that doubtful.
Neyith - Can't be Ikoria, Wolf doesn't look Ikorian.
Ormos - Agreed, could very well be Iquatana, however, we have seen Sphinxes with a similar profile to Ormos previously. Twice even. Once on Alara (some of the artifact sphinxes from that plane have the same sleek form) and once on Mirrodin (although the head is wrong), but they were still different enough from Ormos to show that they were quite unlikely to be from either of those planes. Although it does look a bit like Atemsis, the wings are wrong, but that could be due to Atemsis's magic.
Tinybones - Seems very likely.
Zurzoth - I agree that they are most definitely not from Innistrad, their mount kinda gives it away. We have seen nothing even remotely like that on Innistrad, plus they don't look anything like Innistradi devils.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 3 years ago

Tinybones - feels like someone from Ixalan with the stealing that he's doing. Got the idea that since there are ghosts in Ixalan ships, why not a skeleton?

Zurzoth - looks like a devil from Grixis. Just guessing from the way it is drawn.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 3 years ago

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2020-06-22

Answers solved

Muxus being quintuplets is hilarious.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Muxus being quintuplets is hilarious, as is the idea of Tinybones's tiny family. Although the tiny family of skeletons needing food does sort of raise further questions..... maybe they just need extra calcium? Hmmm...

I also appreciate Ormos's flavor. 'Read three books: add five books to your library'?

I'm going to look forwards to someone translating the blurb for the Phyrexian Swamp.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

So the canon answers are:

Emiel - Unknown (Dominaria is mentioned, but only as part of an extended analogy/Chuck Norris joke)

Inniaz - Dominaria (part of a previously unknown tribe of Dominarian djinni)

Ormos - Unknown

Kels - Kylem

Tinybones - Dominaria

Zurzoth - Unknown (a "hellscape" plane of some sort)

Sethron - Dominaria

Muxus - Unknown

Neyith - Unknown (Blurb seems to hint at either Valla or Kaldheim)

A lot of the blurbs made me chuckle, but they're not super enlightening as far as settings.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

CalebLost
The Prince of the Ravens
Answers: 5

Post by CalebLost » 3 years ago

I'd say the mentioning of Kjeldor locks Emiel to Dominaria
Neyith I'd like to think of Neyith as a seed for Kaldheim (long time requested)

Anyone tried to translte the blurb of the phyrexian swamp?
Current Duel Commander Decks
EnemyShard
MerenAlesha
Rashmi
Jhoira
Tajic

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 years ago

Here's something very very interesting to note

Body wise doesn't inniaz look alarmly similar to ashiok?

Did we finally solve ashiok creature type before the spark?

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 3 years ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
3 years ago
Here's something very very interesting to note

Body wise doesn't inniaz look alarmly similar to ashiok?

Did we finally solve ashiok creature type before the spark?
There are surprisingly few similarities.
Inniaz Vs Ashiok
Skin: tone Blue vs Pale(almost deathly)
Ear: Pointed(elf like) vs Rounded(human like)
Gaseous "hair?": Appears as hair(flows out from the back of head) vs Is part of dissolving face(is released as a sort of smoke from where their face ends including the entirety of their horns)
The dissolved face and and claw-like nails can be considered a corruption by their powers but if we assume that then it becomes harder to justify any semblance based on any features including the smoke like substance as that is a known part of their power, just not to what extent.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Plus Inniaz is officially from Dominaria, while Ashiok's clothing show that they are not from Dominaria.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Lore”