Places to visit in the Multiverse

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

Hi, since the game says we as players are "planeswalkers" in this game. :)

Out of curiousity and maybe for a bit of fun. What planes in the Multiverse would you like to visit, and which ones would you avoid?

Places I would visit.

1. Ravnica - I know it's probably a bit of mess there right now. But still want to see the "grand city". The azorius hallowed fountain looks like the perfect tourist spot! Get a permit first of course.
2. Innistrad - would visit just to see the beautiful angels. I would create a spell that puts images into paper, so to have souvenir pictures of them.
3. Zendikar - hiking in this indiana jones world would be fun.

Places would avoid.

1. Grixis - flesh eating zombies and demon lords. Certain death awaits here.
2. New Phyrexia - don't want to be compleated.
3. Sarpadia - overpowered murderous thrulls, even yawgmoth's phyrexians consider this a dangerous place.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

Most

1) Eldrain- Beautiful fairy tale world high fantasy all the yes.

2) Theros- As a Percy Jackson fan this lets you do that but also be a mage since most people can use magic.

3) Kaladesh/post-mending Dominaria - Basically the only plane aside from the above ones where the mortality rate isn't high.

Least

All the other plane in magic really seem like just a not fun place to live with top choices going to any plane with Phyrexia, Grixis, Innistrad and Amonkeht.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Somewhat depends on what sort of stats I'd have, and at what point I'd be visiting - most planes during a story arc are significantly more dangerous than they are when they're offscreen.

If I'm a Traveling Philosopher, the multiverse seems like a fairly hostile place. Kaladesh and Bant are probably the safest places, especially with all of Bolas's stuff out of the picture. Kamigawa also seems to be pretty peaceful at the moment. Some of the nicer parts of Ravnica would be pleasant, although it depends a lot on what district I'm in and which guilds are in charge. Similar story for Dominaria.

On the other hand, if I'm more of a Transcendent Master, seeing the sights on Zendikar sounds amazing. Similar story for the wilds of Eldraine. Mirrodin would have been cool to visit, but New Phyrexia significantly less so. I might briefly visit Theros, but would skedaddle if I caught the eye of any gods.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

interesting choices. :)

[mention]5colorsrainbow[/mention]

ah, I forgot about Eldraine. That place is nice to visit indeed! A beautiful world where stories and fantasies are real.

Wait, why avoid innistrad? Isn't that place safe to visit during the day, since Emrakul sleep inside the moon? Of course, I'd planeswalk away before night time comes. :omg:

[mention]Mookie[/mention]

good point. That didn't cross my mind, planes are much more dangerous when they're on a story arc. I imagine Kamigawa during the kami war, spirits killing people everywhere.. but now that O-kagachi and Konda are defeated, the place is peaceful.

Well, if you're the power level of tarnscendent master.. that should indeed be enough to fight off any leftover eldrazi drones and smaller beasts in zendikar.

and lastly. Why run if a Theros god sees you? Is it mentioned in the story that theros gods now recognize planeswalkers, and are hunting them down? I'm curious of this.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Mookie
Answers: 47

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
and lastly. Why run if a Theros god sees you? Is it mentioned in the story that theros gods now recognize planeswalkers, and are hunting them down? I'm curious of this.
I've read enough Greek mythology (and Magic's story) to know that getting involved with gods rarely ends well. See: Elspeth, Xenagos, Gideon, and Kiora's interactions with gods. Also see Arachne, Medusa, and Cassandra. Does depend somewhat on which god you're interacting with though - Kruphix seems pretty chill.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
interesting choices. :)

5colorsrainbow

ah, I forgot about Eldraine. That place is nice to visit indeed! A beautiful world where stories and fantasies are real.

Wait, why avoid innistrad? Isn't that place safe to visit during the day, since Emrakul sleep inside the moon? Of course, I'd planeswalk away before night time comes. :omg:
Even during the day humans are the bottom of the food chain on Innistrad and I'd rather not be lunch/ have my body and soul become undead. But thats me :)
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Jace

Post by Jace » 4 years ago

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
I've read enough Greek mythology (and Magic's story) to know that getting involved with gods rarely ends well. See: Elspeth, Xenagos, Gideon, and Kiora's interactions with gods. Also see Arachne, Medusa, and Cassandra. Does depend somewhat on which god you're interacting with though - Kruphix seems pretty chill.
Agreed. I wouldn't want to cross paths with planar overlords that command the mana of that entire dimension you're on. Kruphix is very reclusive and wise, and would know who is a Planeswalker immediately, but wouldn't intervene. The other gods hardly demonstrate his maturity and insight though, and may be even more inclined toward Planeswalker hostility after the events of Godsend. I doubt Thassa is going to toy around with the targets of her fury again. She has probably just gone for the kill immediately at the first sign of dissent, and any indication of a Planeswalker capable of escape is a kill on sight for her I bet. Frankly a 2/2 bear sighting you could be enough cause to flee a plane, let alone a god on one.

To answer the thread:

1. Theros would be my home plane, not just a visit. I would choose to be Theran and rarely Planeswalk elsewhere actually. I'd only leave to explore other oceans, but consistently return. No other plane holds a candle to Theros for me.

2. Zendikar. I get Theros vibes from Zendikar, albeit in its own archaeology/adventure world way. I admire the exploration aspect of Zendikar as a vibrant world.

3. Lorwyn. I have a preference for Idyllic worlds, and I do love Lorwyn. It seems peaceful and innocent.

4. Tied with Lorwyn is Kamigawa. I'd like to visit Minamo Academy and Oboro, the Soratami capital in Otawara. The Kami War resolved and this plane has some scenic locations.

Avoid:
1. Mirrodin / New Phyrexia - And yet, this plane is even more horrifying than Innistrad somehow.
2. Innistrad - Gothic and Cosmic Horror World? This place literally traded Avacyn for Emrakul. Hard pass.
3. Grixis

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Mirrodin / New Phyrexia - And yet, this plane is even more horrifying than Innistrad somehow.
agreed on this. Being skinned alive is probably among the worst deaths ever. Safe zone also gone, because Norn kicked out Urabrask.

motleyslayer

Post by motleyslayer » 4 years ago

most:
Innistrad. I love the Gothic Horror theme of the world and love the way they've built the plane
pre-Phyrexian Mirrodin. I love teh artifact/metal theme of the world and would love to explore it.
Ravnica-I loved how guilds fit into the every day life and would have fun trying to fit in

least:
Eldraine: don't really like the fairy tale theme of it
Kaladesh: the Consuls or whatever seem miserable to live under and I don't really like steam punk
Amonkhet: Bolas made that world seem awful to live in and I'd live in fear of him wanting to send me in a trial

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

[mention]motleyslayer[/mention]

nice, another person who wants to visit Innistrad. Well, we just have to be careful not to become monster food.. stay away from forests, strange people, and planeswalk away at night.

yeah, the consuls are pure dictatorship. Btw, were they overthrown by end of the block.. or are they still in charge?

motleyslayer

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
motleyslayer

nice, another person who wants to visit Innistrad. Well, we just have to be careful not to become monster food.. stay away from forests, strange people, and planeswalk away at night.

yeah, the consuls are pure dictatorship. Btw, were they overthrown by end of the block.. or are they still in charge?
tbh I don't know the political landscape of Kaladesh after we left the block, so I don't know for sure. I just hated how much of a dictatorship it was

I can't imagine becoming monster food would be that pleasant either

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

I am going to show my age with these, but whatever.

Visit:

Ulgrotha, the original gothic plane, home of Baron Sengir and his family. But if you stay out of the Dark Barony and away from Koskun, the plane is mostly chill, well, except for the giant predatory fish, but, eh. I'd of course make a stop over in Port on the Floating Isle and visit the Wizard's Academy, and I'd visit Aysen Abbey so I could experience Serra's Aviary.

Rabiah, the world of a the thousandfold refraction, birthplace of Taysir. The nicer of the refractions are pretty chill places as long as you behave, gonna stay away from the black and red aligned ones though, they're pretty nasty, and I wouldn't want to run afoul of a Juzam djinn, or worse, Nailah. Still, being a planeswalker and getting your hands on something like Aladdin's Ring would be pretty useful, if mana intensive.

Dominaria: Specifically Benalia, Avenant, Hurloon (To see how the Minotaurs are faring) and the Sursi Plateaus. I'd probably visit Femeref as well, as it apparently still exists according to the current map of Jamuraa. I'd also like to visit the feral jungle Mwonvuli, to see Jolrael's palaces and give the ageless Empress of Beasts my respects if she still lives (she might). I would also visit Quirion in the White Woods of Corondor, the elves there are considerably friendlier than the other elves of Dominaria.

Never visit:

New Phyrexia: Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope. I've seen enough body horror to know that a visit to a plane ruled by the masters of body horror is a really, really, really bad idea.

Grixis: Same as New Phyrexia, except the body horror is more of the undead kind than the biomechanical kind. Still, a massive NOPE.

Equilor: Look at the art for Bloodhill Bastion and see if that is a place you'd want to visit.

Wildfire: Unless I am immune to fire, a place not worth a visit. I'd prefer to spend my life without third degree burns.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

@Krishnath

wow, you know a lot of places I don't know. On the way you described it, Rabiah looks amazing. :)

Equilor had to check the wiki to know what this is. Yeah, the living tissue mountain is gross.. but the rest of the people seem to be good natured. Assuming the inhabitants allowed me, I still wouldn't visit because leaving that plane takes 100 years! I guess only those immortal or have really long lifespan can visit this place.

Wildfire, is this a plane in the multiverse? Cannot find any info on it.

Ulgothra, seems like a dangerous area already at this point? From what I checked on the story.. Baron Sengir already completed his conquest of the plane. :thinking:

Femeref, checked a wiki for this one too. Nice place to visit, and hopefully they won't get angry if I try get some gold. :grin:

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
Krishnath

wow, you know a lot of places I don't know. On the way you described it, Rabiah looks amazing. :)

Equilor had to check the wiki to know what this is. Yeah, the living tissue mountain is gross.. but the rest of the people seem to be good natured. Assuming the inhabitants allowed me, I still wouldn't visit because leaving that plane takes 100 years! I guess only those immortal or have really long lifespan can visit this place.

Wildfire, is this a plane in the multiverse? Cannot find any info on it.

Ulgothra, seems like a dangerous area already at this point? From what I checked on the story.. Baron Sengir already completed his conquest of the plane. :thinking:

Femeref, checked a wiki for this one too. Nice place to visit, and hopefully they won't get angry if I try get some gold. :grin:
Wildfire is a plane halfway between Rabiah and the Burning Isles, its mentioned in both Arabian Nights and the Mirage Block and Time Spiral Blocks. It contains natural interplanar portals that open up in the Burning Isles, Jamuura, and Rabiah.

As for Ulgrotha, the account of it being entirely under the Barons thumb is unreliable as the source is Leshrac, and he was only there for less than a minute and likely popped in somewhere in the Dark Barony, stuck around for a very short time, and then left the plane.

And yeah, Femeref is really nice, pastoral tropical farmland, very safe, friendly population, what is not to like?

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

@Krishnath

hmm, ok that's a reasonable enough theory on Ulgothra. I guess there is still hope, since Leshrac only peeked into the plane.

oh, and on another thing. I would also like to visit the Temple Garden in Ravnica. The art piece by Alayna Danner for mtgo is simply stunning. Shows the rebuilt Vitu-Ghazi after the war. I only have to avoid getting brainwashed by the selesnya guild members. :)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
Krishnath

hmm, ok that's a reasonable enough theory on Ulgothra. I guess there is still hope, since Leshrac only peeked into the plane.

oh, and on another thing. I would also like to visit the Temple Garden in Ravnica. The art piece by Alayna Danner for mtgo is simply stunning. Shows the rebuilt Vitu-Ghazi after the war. I only have to avoid getting brainwashed by the selesnya guild members. :)
I can tell you, if I visited Ravnica, I'd do two things. Seek Niv-Mizzet's council on something, and visit Selesnya for the sole purpose of trying to wake Maat'Selesnya from her slumber. But to be honest, if Bolas trying to conquer the plane didn't wake her, I doubt I could.

Zazdor

Post by Zazdor » 4 years ago

Krishnath, I'd love to travel with you to the "old places." You do them justice!

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

the old places do sound amazing. Although I only know a few of them. I think back in the 90's the only way to know extensively about the old storylines is to read the books? And I didn't really have any access to those.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
the old places do sound amazing. Although I only know a few of them. I think back in the 90's the only way to know extensively about the old storylines is to read the books? And I didn't really have any access to those.
Or you could do what I did and hang out on the early MTG forums whenever you had access to the internet for a half hour. :laugh:

motleyslayer

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
the wiki on MTGS is usually my go to for lore, especially older content

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

in the 90's my pc back then was running something lower than windows 95 with no internet connection. Internet was only something I could access in our school library. So there was no way for me to keep up with novels. The only stories I've heard were passed on by casual talk among our local communities.

of course today, have dsl and the wiki is just a few clicks away. Times have changed.

Back on topic. Another place that looks like would be fun to visit... is the unknown place of the original Horizon Canopy art with giant leaves. Looks like those leaves smell like mint, maybe they would emit something like eucalyptus smell if you stepped on them? :)
mtg_02.jpg

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

@The Fluff You mean Pyrulea? Yeah, that would be an interesting place to visit. And yes, the leaves do produce a scent when stepped on, it's both sweet and spicy, so that sounds pretty minty.

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

ah, so the name of the place of Horizon Canopy art is Pyrulea. I didn't know that. Thanks a lot. :)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

The Fluff wrote:
4 years ago
ah, so the name of the place of Horizon Canopy art is Pyrulea. I didn't know that. Thanks a lot. :)
The MTG wiki is full off interesting and useful information. :)

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

yeah, wiki is full of useful stuff.

oh, and just one last thing. Thought about this while I was at work. If I was a walker with a long life, and had a chance to visit Equilor. Thought of summoning a charging monstrosaur to eat meat mountain, as a practical joke on the sphinxes. But I would probably be killed on the spot as the beings there are very powerful, or executed for treason for doing such a thing. Will just think about doing it, and not actually do it. Hopefully, they cannot read minds. :halo:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Lore”