What would you do to fix War of the Spark?

LordYogg
Pronoun: he / him

Post by LordYogg » 4 years ago

I'm relatively new to Magic and I felt a lot of the underlying ideas (Liliana turning on Bolas, Gideon dying to save her life, Niv-Mizzet, Bolas's ultimate fate) we're fine on paper. It seems though that a lot of people didn't like the book. So the question I ask is how do you make War a good story while keeping the basic outline

clariwench
Disgruntled Izzet
Pronoun: she / her

Post by clariwench » 4 years ago

Hire an actual novelist to write it, release the damn "prequels" on time (a company like Hasbro should have been able to foresee the legal difficulties) so people know what is going on, and find a better form of exposition that isn't a character who can do literally everything and knows literally everyone.
"Would that both gods above and demons below could protect me from good people. A man dubbed evil will take your purse, but a so-called ‘good man’ will not be content until he has ripped out your very heart.” - Davriel Cane, Children of the Nameless

Alchemy Mono Red Burn -- Historic Izzet Phoenix -- Historic Grixis Yorion Fires RIP -- Modern Burn -- Legacy Burn -- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV EDH -- Melek, Izzet Paragon EDH -- Kess, Dissident Mage EDH -- Jorn, God of Winter Brawl -- Gutmorn, Pactbound Servant Historic Brawl -- Chandra, Acolyte of Flame Historic Brawl -- Killian, Ink Duelist Historic Brawl -- Niv-Mizzet, Parun Historic Brawl

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by The Fluff » 4 years ago

I pretty much enjoyed the storytelling during the WAR spoiler season. Gideon riding Rakdos after his mount was shot down by Oketra.. it's like a scene froma movie. I feel nothing needs to be fixed in the story.. but of course, that's just my opinion. I know some people did not not like it.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

wildfire393
Answers: 1

Post by wildfire393 » 4 years ago

The biggest thing that would have "fixed" War of the Spark would have been continuing to release the story in serialized weekly columns on their website. The novel didn't make a lick of sense because it was the middle third of the story, and we didn't get the first third until considerably later and we're still waiting on the final bits more than six months later.

Also the treatment of Dack Fayden was atrocious. If you're a player with a normal level of investment - you buy the cards and you read the Mothership articles - you have no idea who Dack Fayden is, what he's done, or even that he's involved at all in this story, and now he's dead for good. He was introduced in a series of comics that never got widespread coverage, his only set appearance was Conspiracy 1 where he has no real ties to the story of the set, and then everything he does in WAR is done off "screen" in the novel and the trailer. Total and complete waste of a fairly interesting character. This would be like if the trailers for Avengers: Endgame showed Alex Wilder from Runaways (which has only aired on Hulu) dying, it never happens in the actual movie, but then the MCU still treats this as a thing that actually happened and is cannon.

5colorsrainbow

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

wildfire393 wrote:
4 years ago
Also the treatment of Dack Fayden was atrocious. If you're a player with a normal level of investment - you buy the cards and you read the Mothership articles - you have no idea who Dack Fayden is, what he's done, or even that he's involved at all in this story, and now he's dead for good. He was introduced in a series of comics that never got widespread coverage, his only set appearance was Conspiracy 1 where he has no real ties to the story of the set, and then everything he does in WAR is done off "screen" in the novel and the trailer. Total and complete waste of a fairly interesting character. This would be like if the trailers for Avengers: Endgame showed Alex Wilder from Runaways (which has only aired on Hulu) dying, it never happens in the actual movie, but then the MCU still treats this as a thing that actually happened and is cannon.
How does a pov character do things off stage? And your Endgame metaphor lost me since in the book Dack dies and that is canon.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

wildfire393

5colorsrainbow wrote:
4 years ago
wildfire393 wrote:
4 years ago
How does a pov character do things off stage? And your Endgame metaphor lost me since in the book Dack dies and that is canon.
But that's the thing: The book isn't Endgame in this scenario. War of the Spark, the set, was Endgame. The book was supplemental material that was gated off from the majority of the playerbase by being suddenly shifted from a free and open online column to a paper book. If I'm a player who primarily plays the card game and maybe reads the Mothership columns occasionally, I have no idea that Dack Fayden is dead. I have no idea that Dack Fayden was even IN War of the Spark, besides someone who looks kind of like him dying in the trailer.

5colorsrainbow

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 years ago

wildfire393 wrote:
4 years ago
5colorsrainbow wrote:
4 years ago
wildfire393 wrote:
4 years ago
But that's the thing: The book isn't Endgame in this scenario. War of the Spark, the set, was Endgame. The book was supplemental material that was gated off from the majority of the playerbase by being suddenly shifted from a free and open online column to a paper book. If I'm a player who primarily plays the card game and maybe reads the Mothership columns occasionally, I have no idea that Dack Fayden is dead. I have no idea that Dack Fayden was even IN War of the Spark, besides someone who looks kind of like him dying in the trailer.
We have characters and events that doesn't show up in the cards all the time, even a time when you had to buy novels to get that vorthos info. By your logic Elspeth isn't dead. You can say the set and story content didn't line up but the idea of stuff isn't canon is really silly.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 4 years ago

Wait Dack died? Not even trolling

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

yeah, he died. It was talked about a bit during spoiler season in mtgs.

he sort of died "off-screen" because it was not depicted in a card..
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

wildfire393

5colorsrainbow wrote:
4 years ago
wildfire393 wrote:
4 years ago
5colorsrainbow wrote:
4 years ago

We have characters and events that doesn't show up in the cards all the time, even a time when you had to buy novels to get that vorthos info. By your logic Elspeth isn't dead. You can say the set and story content didn't line up but the idea of stuff isn't canon is really silly.
I'm not saying it isn't cannon. I'm saying it IS cannon, but in a really stupid way. Elspeth died off-screen, but that was in an era where they were worse about the story integration. For most of the past five years, they've been really good about the story. The primary story beats were in the cards, and the story itself was on the website. Then, suddenly, at the culmination of their biggest ongoing storyline in a decade, they pull out the rug. The apex of the story ends up in a novel, gated off from most Magic players, and significant portions of the story have no in-game reference at all. We might as well be back in Apocalypse where the ultimate fate of most of the main cast is entirely unknown to the majority of the playerbase.

TheMagicWord

Post by TheMagicWord » 4 years ago

I agree, typically we would see big story events on cards and they would use a planeswalker watermark, or sometimes have "story card 1/5" or something like that. With a story as big as War of the Spark they couldnt do that in the set, but to not have dack in at all is just so strange. It doesnt matter enough to WotC to put him in the set but he was made into a main character in the book? It should be consistent. In this case, if he isnt in the set, take him out of the book too, not every PW had to be on Ravnica.
clariwench wrote:
4 years ago
release the damn "prequels" on time (a company like Hasbro should have been able to foresee the legal difficulties)
I thought it was strange we didnt get much story during the two prequel sets, but I am not sure what the backstory is on the legal difficulties. Can you expand on that?
Check out EDH Magic Online Magic Videos
Check out my The MTG Word instagram for pictures of crazy edh boardstates

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

BeneTleilax wrote:
4 years ago
Wait Dack died? Not even trolling
2 months late. But here's a follow up image. :)

owned
SPOILER
Show
Hide
owned.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Lore”