New Cards, Old Characters

Gelcur
Ancient Lore Master
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Gelcur » 2 years ago

Was just browsing Modern Horizons 2, I was thrilled to see the Old Borders come back and what do I find references to some of my favorite old lore!!! :grin:

The Underworld Cookbook
Piru, the Volatile
Geyadrone Dihada
Carth the Lion
Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar
Garth One-Eye :love: MY FAVORITE! :love:
Dakkon, Shadow Slayer

Now to figure out how to get as many of these in the "alternate" original art.

P.S. I noticed the the old borders often have flavor text that is left out on the new ones, even more reason to love the old ones.
SpringSummerFallWinter
W

G Greek Alliance U
Forever

RB

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!
Pronoun: he / him

Post by JovialJovian » 2 years ago

I don't think there's an old frame version of Geyadrone Dihada or Dakkon, Shadow Slayer, since there is not such thing as an old-style planeswalker frame.

The N82O Molecule

Post by The N82O Molecule » 2 years ago

this may be a "hot take" or "salty" but honestly I don't know who these people are. well ok I know some of the them, but like not really. these characters are really old school, before school even.

that being said Ive been all Dakkon Blackblade since the beginning, the original art is one of the reasons I fell for magic. RKF art yes. I sorta fell off a bit since the story of the sword was revealed and destroyed in a bad way (opinion). but anyway in future sight Korlash, Heir to Blackblade picked the sword up and man I really liked that card (the grandeur mechanic).

but these other characters are "a reach"

one thing I would like to note is that why modern horizons has any lore at all, like why are they printing "characters" instead of printing strong modern cards. like why does modern care about a cookbook, if the card is invoking flavor, my modern doesn't want flavor, my modern is power. edh brain is infecting everything. hot take

Gelcur
Ancient Lore Master

I'm sure if they wanted to they could figure out something using old style frames with planeswalkers.

Most of these characters are from the original novels or comic books. Before the Urza Saga books, only thing missing like 5 or 6 flavors of Taysir to make an appearance. These were the stories that sucked me into magic. They were how you learned what the random mentions in the flavor text meant.

As you can tell from my Avatar I'm also a big Dakkon Blackblade fan. I haven't followed any of the newly added stories so I have no idea what has become of him.

I honestly don't know much about the Modern format, the only thing I still play is Vintage whenever I can find real world people to play against. I don't see why cards can't have both flavor AND power, personally I hate the very concept of even printing Planeswalker as a card type. Makes no story/lore sense. Would have been better like the Saga type, sort of a brokered deal, another Planeswalker owing a favor, sort of a trade off for sending them mana, or something.

I just like the fact that someone at WotC hasn't forgotten that some players have been playing since the start of the game.
SpringSummerFallWinter
W

G Greek Alliance U
Forever

RB

The N82O Molecule

well id just like to say that I agree overall that these cards, well its almost a must that they get the old frame treatment. I will also say that I want all these cards.

I like that they explore these characters and such. its just that some of them are rather janky, and not sure how modern will treat them, maybe that doesn't matter lol

Gelcur
Ancient Lore Master

Yeah I agree janky is definitely the feel of them. For such amazing characters from Magic's history they are being treated poorly. They should have been epic, the kind of cards that everyone is looking to play, in every format. Instead these new "planeswalkers" get all the fun. *sigh*

There is an article about Garth's creation here. The prototype one would have been better though confusing and would slow the game down.

Maybe if they chose better cards, Ancestral Recall, Demonic Tutor, Channel, Balance, Wheel of Fortune? Or better yet just give it access to the entire Vintage Restricted list :rofl: . There's lots of cool stuff they could have done.

And of course they should have put some special rule on it if a land named Arena is in play with Garth, Garth's controller wins the game. Sadly it was reprinted in Time Spiral but would have been a nice plus for those of us who actually cut the coupon out of the back of the novels and sent it in to get our card.
SpringSummerFallWinter
W

G Greek Alliance U
Forever

RB

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 2 years ago

I started mtg in Invasion, so have not played with the much older cards... but by reading wikis, have come across and enjoyed reading the story on the creation of blackblade, Dakkon, Geyadrone, Piru... and others involved. Glad to see them brought to life in modern card frame.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

Now we just need cards for the other four known elder dragons (Vaevictis's brothers, and the unnamed sister of Bolas, Ugin, and the other firstborn Elders).
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Gelcur
Ancient Lore Master

Would be even nicer if we got sets featuring these characters. As opposed to constantly introducing new "planeswalkers". *sigh* Better yet if it turned out if Bolas wasn't the only one trying to restore his planeswalker spark to what it was before, that was his scheme in a nutshell right? I really haven't followed anything after the Time Rift stuff.
SpringSummerFallWinter
W

G Greek Alliance U
Forever

RB

The N82O Molecule

The Fluff wrote:
2 years ago
I started mtg in Invasion, so have not played with the much older cards... but by reading wikis, have come across and enjoyed reading the story on the creation of blackblade, Dakkon, Geyadrone, Piru... and others involved. Glad to see them brought to life in modern card frame.
honestly I figured with the time spiral story line they wanted to walk away with the "ultra powerful" planes walker and move away from the "old school"
Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
Now we just need cards for the other four known elder dragons (Vaevictis's brothers, and the unnamed sister of Bolas, Ugin, and the other firstborn Elders).
would you want them with the upkeep cost or as a new and improved? like legends vs 2019 core set. (or whatever core set it was with the new "elder dragons")
Gelcur wrote:
2 years ago
Would be even nicer if we got sets featuring these characters. As opposed to constantly introducing new "planeswalkers". *sigh* Better yet if it turned out if Bolas wasn't the only one trying to restore his planeswalker spark to what it was before, that was his scheme in a nutshell right? I really haven't followed anything after the Time Rift stuff.
I really like the lore of updating planes with "new" so like yeah Venser? Koth? . . .ive mentioned in another thread that these characters (ol one eye and the grist) are "distant" in that not a lot of "new" players won't know. ok so yes idk what im talking about in regards to the data. but as im a "older" player I suppose they are in my "wheel house" with like Dakkon, though I didn't know his side characters and never knew if it was him who had the power equal to lands or the sword but its all playing out now.

anyway yes im "Phyrexian" and I really was hoping that Venser would be the new "lord of Machines" and he's lost his spark to Karn. but that is not what made Venser cool, it was the device he made before he "sparked" so my dream still lives. . .he is the gateway for the compleat banner that Tezzeret was for Bolas. get our hands on tezz well. . .how long to do I have to tell you how beautiful what would be

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

The N82O Molecule wrote:
2 years ago
would you want them with the upkeep cost or as a new and improved? like legends vs 2019 core set. (or whatever core set it was with the new "elder dragons")
Both, old style like Piru first, then neo-versions.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

The N82O Molecule

Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
Both, old style like Piru first, then neo-versions.
I support this message.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Lore”