Classic riffs

Blinking Spirit
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Blinking Spirit » 4 years ago

It's been a while since we've done this, hasn't it? Stop me if you know the tune already: just press "Random Card" somewhere and riff on whatever you get. It's like standing under a roiling storm of ideas and letting inspiration strike. Repeatedly. Like lightning... doesn't. Okay, I may have let that simile get away from me, but never mind that, it's time to riff like it's 2009. It's quick, it's fun, it's almost like being creative but much less work!

Deathstealer
2B
Creature — Nightstalker
Menace
B: Until end of turn, target creature an opponent controls gains indestructible and can't be sacrificed.

The cruelest thief takes nothing at all.
— Femeref proverb

2/2
Untamed Dragon
Creature — Dragon
(Nonexistent mana costs can't be paid.)
Whenever a Mountain enters your graveyard from the battlefield, if there are five or more land cards in your graveyard, you may cast Untamed Dragon without paying its mana cost.
Flying

"I spit upon your 'summons.' I fight when I will."

5/5
Path of Pity
2W
Enchantment
Creatures can't attack unless their total power is less than the defending player's life total.

"Kondo's first lesson was how not to kill."
— Gerrard

Herd of Ibex
XWW
Creature — Goat
Herd of Ibex enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
Herd of Ibex gets +0/+1 for each +1/+1 counter on it.
Each combat, Herd of Ibex can block a number of additional creatures equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on it.

The wolves' siege could not breach their walls of horn.

0/0
Treefolk Aflame
2RG
Creature — Treefolk
Trample
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on Treefolk Aflame, then Treefolk Aflame deals damage to each other creature you control equal to the number of -1/-1 counters on it.

When a treefolk screams in the forest, and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

6/6

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

I think that's the first time I've ever seen anyone design "gets +0/+1 for each +1/+1 counter on it." anywhere, that was really cute. Treefolk Aflame gave me flashbacks of getting total party wiped in Earthbound!

Path of Pity seems a bit OP actually. these were fun to read though, and I like your favour texts!

NUMBERS
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NUMBERS » 4 years ago

Blinking Spirit wrote:
4 years ago
I dig what you're doing here! My only comment would be that without "equal or less than" Path of Pity is a lock, right?

Also glad to see you're still around!
[FOB] Fallen Obalt | A custom set of Crime, Clues, and Sacrifice.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Deathstealer - Neat Johnny toy, but feels more uncommon than common. Seems meant for a set (or Commander deck?) with a sacrifice removal theme.

Untamed Dragon - Needs some rewording because triggered abilities can't trigger from hidden zones unless they're on revealed cards; something like "You may cast this without paying its mana cost if a Mountain was put into your graveyard from the battlefield this turn and you have five or more land cards in your graveyard."

Path of Pity - Neat, feels very... Weatherlight (the set), and not just for the flavor text.

Herd of Ibex - I gotta love this one. How could I not enjoy a one-card flock of 1/2 Goats? (Then again, I have an unreasonable love for +1/+2 bonuses.)

Treefolk Aflame - That drawback seems harsh for what you get. After all, this card is going to (usually) make its first attack as a 5/5, and a 5-power trampler for four mana should have a considerably lesser drawback than both shrinking AND damaging your own creatures. Could cost BRG and be a base 7/6, something like that? (I don't think blocking as a 6/6 for one turn is that big of an extra advantage after all.)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Blinking Spirit

Thank you for the comments, guys!
NUMBERS wrote:
4 years ago
My only comment would be that without "equal or less than" Path of Pity is a lock, right?
If they can't remove the enchantment, burn you out, or just pump creature power after attackers are declared, then yes.
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Untamed Dragon - Needs some rewording because triggered abilities can't trigger from hidden zones unless they're on revealed cards; something like "You may cast this without paying its mana cost if a Mountain was put into your graveyard from the battlefield this turn and you have five or more land cards in your graveyard."

Treefolk Aflame - That drawback seems harsh for what you get. After all, this card is going to (usually) make its first attack as a 5/5, and a 5-power trampler for four mana should have a considerably lesser drawback than both shrinking AND damaging your own creatures. Could cost BRG and be a base 7/6, something like that? (I don't think blocking as a 6/6 for one turn is that big of an extra advantage after all.)
Yeah, I was wondering about the wording on that Dragon. Doing it your way, I should probably either word it "if a Mountain entered your graveyard from the battlefield since your last turn ended" or else give the card flash, since I'd want it to be able to trigger off of sorcery-speed land destruction.

As for Treefolk Aflame, if I were to push its power level a little more, my first thought would be just to give it haste. But I suspect that would be pretty monstrous. Perhaps instead of rather than in addition to trample? I dunno, not every card needs to be at the peak of the power curve, and there's a Stuffy Doll deck out there somewhere just waiting to abuse the "drawback".

Blinking Spirit

Onward with the riffs!

Manathirst
2R
Enchantment
Whenever a player taps a land for mana, they tap another land they control for mana if able.

"Spare your waterskin. In this desert, it is not for a drink that you thirst."

Reconciliation
W
Instant
Exile two target creatures that dealt damage to each other this turn.

Sometimes the best apology is "Let's go get drinks."

Petrified Forest
Land — Forest
(: Add .)
You may play Petrified Forest from your graveyard, but not from anywhere else.

Death has no hold on that which stone remembers.

Thallid Symbiote
1G
Enchantment — Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each Saproling you control.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a spore counter on enchanted creature.
Remove three spore counters from enchanted creature: Create a 1/1 green Saproling creature token.

Aleig used to hate thallids, but they were beginning to grow on him.

Oberon's Pendulum (2.0)
Artifact
At the beginning of your draw step, exchange your graveyard and hand. Then exile a card from your hand. Then choose a number of cards in your hand equal to the number of cards in your graveyard and exile the rest.

It swings between dreams and reality — but which is which?

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Oberon's Pendulum (1.0)
Artifact
At the beginning of your draw step, exchange your graveyard and hand. Then exile a card from your graveyard or hand. Then if there are more cards in your graveyard than your hand or vice versa, exile a number of cards equal to the difference from the zone with more cards.

It swings between dreams and reality — but which is which?

Last edited by Blinking Spirit 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

I don't know if you realize this, but Manathirst would force you to tap all your lands for mana if you tap one.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

Manathirst is an interesting take on War's Toll but seems too powered down. You only have one of the effects and it affects both players for only 1 less. War's Toll's wording is more efficient as it makes it obvious that they lose all lands not have it feel like a gotcha. Considering how little the effect actually does costing at 1r, maybe even just should be fine.
Reconciliation is such a weird card. Though I love it. Its exactly the type of effect white should get but its rather narrow.
Petrified Forest, I guess this is a viable card.
Thallid Symbiote, for flavor reasons I would like this to kill the creature if it's removed but its probably too many extra words.
Oberon's Pendulum, because when it does its check your hand should always have the larger amount I think you should cut out the excess text to make it read smoother. The reason your hand should always have the most is that prior to the exchange the graveyard should have your previous hand and any cards you cast from your previous graveyard the last turn. There are situations where it's not true but wording for the default will save room and comprehension.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

If the intention is that Manathirst should only force you to tap twice as many lands as you otherwise would and not tap all your lands, then R would be a fine cost, what with it being somewhat narrow and also symmetrical. Do keep in mind that the most elegant wording for that intent that I can think of off the top of my head involves granting the lands substance, so. Side note: WotC bring back mana burn pls, it usually doesn't come up but leads to fun design space when it does (Valleymaker, Spectral Searchlight).

Reconciliation is very neat for multiplayer, although I can't think of the best way to use it for a wombo combo; is there any efficient way to make two opposing creatures deal 1 damage to one another?

Thallid Symbiote is RAD.

Oberon's Pendulum is bizarre but I like it, user_938036 covered the logistical aspects.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

chochky

Post by chochky » 4 years ago

I wonder if Manathirst could be reworded to:
"Whenever a player taps a land for mana, another untapped land of their choice that they control becomes tapped."

NUMBERS

I really like what you did with Reconciliation and Thallid Symbiote is incredibly on flavor in my opinion.

Blinking Spirit

Manathirst was supposed to have the first effect of War's Toll. I forgot War's Toll existed. I originally worded it like that effect, too, but I thought it might be better to be more explicit that it just wants you to draw all your mana at once, rather than require players to realize that they can tap out before the effect resolves and float the mana through it.

Yeah, I think I can clean up Oberon's Pendulum.

Blinking Spirit

Exotic Wayfarer
2G
Creature — Elephant Scout
Nonbasic landwalk
When Exotic Wayfarer enters the battlefield, each opponent may search their library for a nonbasic land card, reveal it, put it in their hand, then shuffle their library.

Where does a nine-hundred-pound loxodon walk? Wherever he wishes.

4/4
Portal Rat
1UB
Creature — Rat
Flash
You can't cast Portal Rat unless an opponent controls a creature spell (on the stack).
Whenever an opponent casts a creature spell, you may create a token that's a copy of Portal Rat.

Rats are stowaways on even the most esoteric forms of transport.

1/1
Turncoat
2U
Enchantment — Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature doesn't untap during its controller's untap step and has "At the beginning of your upkeep, target opponent gains control of this creature and untaps it."

She followed whichever general was leading away from battle at the moment.

Giant's Skis
Artifact — Equipment Vehicle
First strike
Crew 1
Equip
Giant's Skis can be attached only to a creature with power 4 or greater.
Equipped creature gets +3/+3 and has first strike.

Never criticize a giant until you have traveled a mile in his shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.

3/3
Terrace Farm
Land
Level up
: Add .
LEVEL 1-4
: Add or .
LEVEL 5+
: Add RR, RW, or WW.

Blinking Spirit

Time to Think
1U
Sorcery
Draw a card.
At the beginning of the next end step, if you cast no other spells this turn, you may return Time to Think from its owner's graveyard to their hand.

When the wizard paused to stroke his chin, the raiders knew they were doomed.

Prismatic Storm
3R
Sorcery
Exile Prismatic Storm. Then reveal the top card of your library. Unless that card shares a color with the last exiled card, or both are colorless, exile it and repeat this process.
Prismatic Storm deals damage to any target equal to the number of cards exiled with it.

From a distance, it is one of the most beautiful sights in the multiverse. From a distance.

Gvoom the Anathema
UUBB
Legendary Planeswalker — Gvoom
Creatures your opponents control attack Gvoom the Anathema each combat if able.
+1: When Gvoom dies before your next turn, destroy all creatures that dealt damage to him this turn.
-7: When Gvoom dies before your next turn, gain control of all creatures that dealt damage to him this turn.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

Nice designs! What's Gvoom based on? They made me think of False Prophet.

Blinking Spirit

Gvoom was a riff on Custodi Lich. And now that I look at him again, he may be very undercosted for what could be a slow Plague Wind.

Blinking Spirit

Random Card button had a beast-of-burden theme this time around.

Plagued Pegasus
2B
Creature — Pegasus
Flying, deathtouch
1W: Plagued Pegasus gets +0/+2 until end of turn.

The fen now claims her flesh, but her spirit still belongs to the open sky.

1/1
Alpine Caravan
1R
Creature — Camel
Mountainwalk
Whenever Alpine Caravan attacks and isn't blocked, the defending player chooses a permanent they own and control. Exchange control of Alpine Caravan and that permanent. If you do, create a Treasure token.

Any other people would call the mountains impassable. The Nuacha called them home.

0/3
Herd Instinct
3G
Enchantment
Creatures an opponent controls can't block unless all creatures they control block the same creature.

Prey will repeat any successful behavior. But predators will exploit any repetitive behavior.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

Scaled Reveler 3B
Creature - Naga Shaman (U)
Deathtouch
When Scaled Reveler dies, each player draws a card.
2/4

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Blinking Spirit

Thick-Skulled Giant
4R
Creature — Giant
Whenever Thick-Skulled Giant is dealt damage, it gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
2R: Thick-Skulled Giant fights target creature that dealt damage to it this turn.

He thinks "thick-skulled" and "headstrong" mean the same thing.

2/5
Void Tempest
XB
Sorcery
Each player reveals their hand and the top X cards of their library, then exiles all creature cards revealed this way with toughness X or less. (They put the remaining cards from library back in the same order.)

Nothing shook, and Anzino heard the screams of all those who would never be.

Solipsism
2UB
Enchantment
Nothing except you can be the target of spells or abilities.
Creatures can't attack anything except you.

"Only I think; therefore, only I am."

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

Void Tempest is a logistics nightmare because "They put the remaining cards from library back in the same order." It requires a higher level of care in playing than is normally expected. And it is ripe for such easy and unintentional abuse that I don't think it would be done for this reason alone.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

user_938036 wrote:
4 years ago
Void Tempest is a logistics nightmare because "They put the remaining cards from library back in the same order." It requires a higher level of care in playing than is normally expected. And it is ripe for such easy and unintentional abuse that I don't think it would be done for this reason alone.
Agreed - a "random order" clause would help tremendously. The card, however, is definitely not a common no matter how you slice it - it's complex, takes a while to resolve, and potentially exiles a bunch of cards from hands. Rare is where this should go.

I REALLY like Alpine Caravan.

NUMBERS

Really digging this project of yours; especially your flavor text. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”