Get A Clue: Obalt Sneak, Evidence Processing, Obalt Island

NUMBERS
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NUMBERS » 4 years ago

Obalt Sneak
{g/u}{g/u}
Creature - Merfolk Rogue
Obalt Sneak has flash as long as a player controls a Clue.

Cycling (, Discard this card: Draw a card.)

When you cycle Obalt Sneak, each opponent investigates. (To investigate, create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
2/2
Evidence Processing
1U
Enchantment
When Evidence Processing enters the battlefield, investigate. (Create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

, Sacrifice a Clue: Draw a card.
Obalt Island
Land
As Obalt Island enters the battlefield, if an opponent controls a Clue, investigate and Obalt Island enters the battlefield tapped. (To investigate, create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

: Add to your mana pool.

Original Versions
Show
Hide
Obalt Island
Land
As Obalt Island enters the battlefield, if an opponent controls a Clue, investigate. If you do, it enters the battlefield tapped. (To investigate, create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

: Add to your mana pool.
Evidence Processing
1U
Enchantment
When Evidence Processing enters the battlefield, investigate. (Create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

Activated abilities of Clues you control cost up to less to activate. This effect can't reduce the amount of mana an ability costs to activate to less than one mana.
Evidence Processing
1W
Enchantment

Activated abilities of Clues you control cost up to less to activate. This effect can't reduce the amount of mana an ability costs to activate to less than one mana.
Obalt Island
Land - Island
(: Add .)

As Obalt Island enters the battlefield, you may investigate. If you do, it enters the battlefield tapped. (To investigate, create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")
Some more Clue centric cards. As always extremely interested in feedback / thoughts! :)
Last edited by NUMBERS 4 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
[FOB] Fallen Obalt | A custom set of Crime, Clues, and Sacrifice.

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Lands shouldn't be strictly better than basic lands.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Obalt Sneak is interesting. And apparently Crashing Tide gains flash instead of using "as though it had flash" so the wording's appropriate.

Evidence Processing doesn't feel white; I don't think white has ever reduced activated ability costs, with the limited exception of reducing equip costs. The card is blue all the way.

Obalt Island is not an acceptable design. The ability should be mandatory and not optional, and even then I'm wary of fetchable lands with ETB abilities, no matter how minor the ability. Yes, the Shadowmoor "basic type nonbasic" cycle is comparable but their activated abilities cost a T and require you to control specific permanents.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

NUMBERS

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
Lands shouldn't be strictly better than basic lands.
void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Obalt Sneak is interesting. And apparently Crashing Tide gains flash instead of using "as though it had flash" so the wording's appropriate.

Evidence Processing doesn't feel white; I don't think white has ever reduced activated ability costs, with the limited exception of reducing equip costs. The card is blue all the way.

Obalt Island is not an acceptable design. The ability should be mandatory and not optional, and even then I'm wary of fetchable lands with ETB abilities, no matter how minor the ability. Yes, the Shadowmoor "basic type nonbasic" cycle is comparable but their activated abilities cost a T and require you to control specific permanents.
It seems I greatly overestimated the significance of non-basic land hate as a drawback. I'll have to think on how this could be rectified...

Yeah, I definitely checked on Obalt Sneak's wording. :)

I definitely see the argument for it being Blue, but I was initially wary of making Blue even better at card advantage and was hoping the flavor could justify the color shift. But on reconsideration I suspect I agree with your argument!

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Improvd wording for Evidence Processing: "1, Sacrifice a Clue: Draw a card." : )

NUMBERS

[mention]SecretInfiltrator[/mention] That is ... so much more elegant. Thank you!

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Obalt Island could be reworded to be simpler:
Original wrote:As Obalt Island enters the battlefield, if an opponent controls a Clue, investigate. If you do, it enters the battlefield tapped.
Rephrase wrote:As Obalt Island enters the battlefield, if an opponent controls a Clue, investigate and Obalt Island enters the battlefield tapped.
"If you (investigate)" will never be false after all.

Alternately:
Obalt Island enters the battlefield tapped.
When Obalt Island enters the battlefield, investigate.
Now it's a Zendikar-like utility land. In this set "if an opponent controls a clue" will frequently be true after all.

NUMBERS

I like the rephrase! I agree that in this set it should be a trivially true check, but considering other formats and the worries over fetching a land and getting a clue being potentially problematic I suspect the first rephrase might be safest.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

That's fair. If they don't have a clue it's a nonbasic island, if they do it's a utility land.

I like this series you're making. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”