Three Commons: Obalt Brute, Suspicious Murder, and Obalt Fixer

NUMBERS
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NUMBERS » 4 years ago

Obalt Brute
B
Creature - Vampire Mercenary

Lifelink

When Obalt Brute deals combat damage to a player, they investigate. (To investigate, create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

Organized crime thrives on Fallen Obalt.

2/1
Suspicious Murder
BB
Instant

Destroy target creature. It's controller investigates. (To investigate, create a colorless Clue artifact token with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

"Killed in broad daylight, everyone's talking, and we're still no closer to an arrest."
-Aithen, Constable

Obalt Fixer
2B
Creature - Goblin Mercenary

This spell costs less to cast for each Clue an opponent controls.

"Sure we're blatant, but that's our strength."
-Grie, Goblin Fixer

3/2
Original Cards
Show
Hide
Obalt Fixer
2B

-Grie, Goblin Fixer

3/3
Obalt Brute v.2
B
Creature - Zombie Mercenary

When Obalt Brute deals combat damage to a player, they investigate. (They put a colorless Clue artifact token onto the battlefield with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

Cycling (, Discard this card: Draw a card.)

2/2

Obalt Brute v.1
B
Creature - Zombie Mercenary

When Obalt Brute deals combat damage to a player, they investigate. (They put a colorless Clue artifact token onto the battlefield with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

2/2
Suspicious Murder
1B
Sorcery

Destroy target creature. It's controller investigates. (They put a colorless Clue artifact token onto the battlefield with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Draw a card.")

"Killed in broad daylight, everyone's talking, and we're still no closer to an arrest."
-Aithen, Constable

Obalt Fixer
2B

-Grie, Goblin Fixer

3/3

Apparently I am not so good at actually posting commons.

Mini-Cycle of "Clues Matter" cards.
Last edited by NUMBERS 4 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
[FOB] Fallen Obalt | A custom set of Crime, Clues, and Sacrifice.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Clues as a drawback is neat and feels like it at least could be black. I want to see more of this setting. Why is Obalt called "Fallen"? How can there be so much crime?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

Obalt Brute produces far too much advantage for the opponent for it to be common. As a stronger card, it could be an interesting rare but as it stands it's in an awkward place.

Suspicious Murder looks good but I would personally like it better as an instant at .

Obalt fixer is just the kind of card needed to make this "clues as a downside" feel like an actual theme. The only problem is its rarity. Cost reduction isn't really done at common. For obvious reasons.

NUMBERS

void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
Clues as a drawback is neat and feels like it at least could be black. I want to see more of this setting. Why is Obalt called "Fallen"? How can there be so much crime?
Yeah, I think it can fit flavorwise roughly, but mechanically it is a bit more of a stretch.

As to the setting questions, I'm not saying I'm making it all up as I go along, but I'm sure I'll have some good answers to those questions once I've thought the setting out a little further. :)
user_938036 wrote:
4 years ago
Obalt Brute produces far too much advantage for the opponent for it to be common. As a stronger card, it could be an interesting rare but as it stands it's in an awkward place.

Suspicious Murder looks good but I would personally like it better as an instant at .

Obalt fixer is just the kind of card needed to make this "clues as a downside" feel like an actual theme. The only problem is its rarity. Cost reduction isn't really done at common. For obvious reasons.
Oh gosh, yeah I brainstormed a slightly different Obalt Brute, but ended up posting the earlier idea. I don't know that this is an actual fix, but I think the easiest fix, while keeping it at common and mostly thinking of how to make it more limited viable, might be to give it Cycling , that way it can be a decent early enabler and beater, but once the board state has developed to the point where a one mana 2/2 is less relevant it can just be cycled away into something more relevant.

Suspicious Murder probably could be BB and instant, but when I started the post I had it at common and that would be way too good of a common. At uncommon I definitely agree that it probably should be that way, so I'll update it thusly.

I didn't realize cost reduction wasn't done at common, my first thought was Winged Words, but after a quick search it does seem uncommon to do cost reduction at common. As of now I'm tempted to leave it at common, but could definitely see their being others with this kind of cost reduction at uncommon or rare.

Blinking Spirit

Post by Blinking Spirit » 4 years ago

This idea of using clues as a drawback for criminal cards is just dripping with flavor. Very well done.

To bring Obalt Fixer more in line with common design philosophy, you might try the simpler "costs less to cast if an opponent controls a Clue". Also, does black do Centaur Coursers these days? I might knock off a point of toughness: a 3/2 body seems more typical of what three mana will get you in the color.

NUMBERS

Blinking Spirit wrote:
4 years ago
This idea of using clues as a drawback for criminal cards is just dripping with flavor. Very well done.

To bring Obalt Fixer more in line with common design philosophy, you might try the simpler "costs less to cast if an opponent controls a Clue". Also, does black do Centaur Coursers these days? I might knock off a point of toughness: a 3/2 body seems more typical of what three mana will get you in the color.
Thank you!

And I think you're right on it needing to be a 3/2, but the wording I used was so that it can be discounted to if an opponent controls 2 or more Clues (which increases my inclination that it needs to lose a point of power).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”