Juancu
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Juancu » 4 years ago

Let's try some ideas:

Flaxen Intruder G
Creature - Human Warrior
The Three Bears 5GG
Sorcery Page
Chapter 3 (To cast a copy of this page, turn Flaxen Intruder face down and put three +1/+1 counters on it.)
Create three 2/2 green Bear creature tokens.
1/2

You turn the page, get it?

Another idea, based on the [Redacted] from the Developer comment "treasures and [redacted]"

Flaxen Intruder G
Creature - Human Warrior
3G: Put a +1/+1 counter on Flaxen Intruder and create a Page token (it's an artifact.)
The Three Bears 5GG
Sorcery Tale
Chapter 3 (To cast a copy of this tale, sacrifice 3 Pages.)
1/2

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

The book clearly has two sides, so that should be important to the mechanic. That makes the second version a bit more likely.

Good call on seeing that second line which could be a type line of a virtual spell card.

A reason even your second version seems dubious: The page with the mana cost is left and by western norms and precedence that would indicate the left side comes first. and the right-side is the end or aftermath of the tale (as also indicated by the art showing the bears dead).

Maybe something more like:

Flaxen Intruder G
Creature - Human Warrior
The Three Bears 5GG
Sorcery — Tale
Whenever a Bear enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
G, T: ~ fights target creature.

1/2

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

these are nice ideas, hey!
My first thought on seeing that card frame was that the ability would be a new attempt at Monstrous/Adapt, but instead of putting +1/+1 counters on the creature to unlock a static ability, you'd be casting the spell detailed on the left panel. something like:

Flaxen Intruder, G
Creature - Human Scout
<Taste Test, 1GG
Sorcery
Gain 3 life for each creature you don't control.
Tale - Play this spell only once, and only if Flaxen Intruder is on the battlefield.>
When this creature has told its tale, put a +1/+1 counter on it, it gains non-basic landwalk, and each of your opponents may create a 2/2 green Bear token.
1/1

(edit: imagine a version of this ability which would actually fit on the card template, lol. I know this doesn't!)

SecretInfiltrator

Yeah, the page-analogy makes it likely that the right box somehow is only active after the first. I like the "has told its tale" phrasing. The question to me is whether it appears as card text or just as reminder text and is implicit in the frame (as is e. g. the case for levelers). I expect the second to be the case, so by default the creature might be vanilla.

Juancu

I had the same thoughts about ordering at first, but then decided it was probably the P/T box being on the right, that forced the issue.

italofoca
Pronoun: he / him

Post by italofoca » 4 years ago

I think it's weird that the second box is an ability that it's only active after you play the spell. This way each tale creature is vanilla by default and each tale have two separate effects by default. As consequence we can't have a bird tale creature because we can't have bird without flying.

A more flexible template would be having the left side page being just standard creature abilities. However you guys are probably right otherwise the tale would be on the left hand side to begin with...

CubJay

Post by CubJay » 4 years ago

Personally I figure the two-column layout is just so they have extra space. The left hand "page" doesn't have much room for text because of the cost line and the (presumed) type line. They save space by making those only take up half the textbox, then they added the nifty flavouring of the book shape. At any rate I definitely don't think casting the left side will be dependant on something you do on the right, cuz that'd be counterintuitive for readers of Left-to-Right scripts like English. (Raises the question though: will Japanese versions be mirrored so that the first page is on the right?)

Otherwise, I like the ideas. The morph-esque one is especially interesting given the potential leaks for commandee 2019 themes. Could be cool with blink effects.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

My first thought was it's a sort of level up that unlocks the right page. If that's true though I can't figure out what the darker green bar is for: it doesn't seem big enough for reminder text.

I like the idea that it's a spell you can cast, but it'll be a pretty small spell if so. That makes it basically an activated ability that's instant or sorcery that leaves only a bit of space for other creature abilities on the right page. Somehow I feel there's going to be more to it than that.

Juancu

Another try.
Sin título.png

CubJay

Post by CubJay » 4 years ago

Can anyone with a more in-depth rules knowledge speak to the implications of casting a permanent card as a sorcery from the battlefield? My intuition is that it would only work if the permanent ceases to be a permanent on the battlefield and becomes a sorcery on the stack, treated as if it had just been cast. Then I figure it would go to the graveyard on resolution like any other sorcery unless otherwise specified. Would a card that worked like that break the rules in half?

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

CubJay wrote:
4 years ago
Can anyone with a more in-depth rules knowledge speak to the implications of casting a permanent card as a sorcery from the battlefield? My intuition is that it would only work if the permanent ceases to be a permanent on the battlefield and becomes a sorcery on the stack, treated as if it had just been cast. Then I figure it would go to the graveyard on resolution like any other sorcery unless otherwise specified. Would a card that worked like that break the rules in half?
Your intuition is correct. The card would move from the battlefield to the stack and leave the battlefield just as thoroughly as any other zone change (exiled, died, bounced, etc). Spell resolution says to put the spell into the graveyard if it's not a permanent spell, or onto the battlefield if it is.

The whole process would be super weird.

Juancu

It'll probably work by casting a copy of the spell subcard. I don't think it's that complex to make it work like that.

SecretInfiltrator

Thinking about it... maybe it is a variant of evoke/kicker rather than monstrous - i. e. the templating of the fabled spell/permanent split card. Casting a copy of a printed sorcery from the battlefield is certainly possible, but you could easily imagine this being a choice from hand as well. Having seen just one card we don't know whether e. g. the page cost is always the higher cost or whether the permanent is always a creature.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”