Creating squirrels for commander

jamievb1970
Pronoun: he / him

Post by jamievb1970 » 4 years ago

Hello all,
For nearly 2 years I have been coming up with cards for a squirrel commander deck that has morphed into a whole set I would like to call Squirreltopia. I am used to linking card images so please bear with me as i try to write a few examples. I also post on reddit and instagram so if you wish to see more send a message. Here goes:
Field Tiller
2g
creature-squirrel

When Field Tiller enters the battlefield or dies search your library for a basic land card, reveal it and put it into your hand then shuffle your library."
1/1

NUMBERS
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NUMBERS » 4 years ago

I think something got thrown off with the formatting you posted, is this what you were going for:

Field Tiller
2G
Creature - Squirrel

When Field Tiller enters the battlefield or dies, search your library for a basic land card, reveal it and put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
1/1

Seems fine to me, thought I'm unsure if it needs to be uncommon? At 2G it feels a little overcosted to me, maybe.
[FOB] Fallen Obalt | A custom set of Crime, Clues, and Sacrifice.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

The cost seems fine, however, it should probably be a common. Even if it put the basic land onto the battlefield tapped it would be fine as a common.

Now, if it could collect any land and put it into your hand, then it would look fine as an uncommon.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
The cost seems fine, however, it should probably be a common. Even if it put the basic land onto the battlefield tapped it would be fine as a common.
Double Rampant Growth and a chump blocker are quite a lot for a three mana common. I actually think the card advantage is reasonably high here to make this something you'd consider more of an uncommon. You'd also not want a card that requires you to search+shuffle twice to be a common either, so I'd call this well situated no matter where the land goes.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Agreed, an effect like this should not be common. Cost seems fine, and I like cards with "ETB or dies" effects for their potential for broad spectrum usefulness. (Worth nothing that based on how Commander deck-exclusive cards' rarities work, this would also have to be uncommon in one of those products.)
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Double Rampant Growth and a chump blocker are quite a lot for a three mana common. I actually think the card advantage is reasonably high here to make this something you'd consider more of an uncommon. You'd also not want a card that requires you to search+shuffle twice to be a common either, so I'd call this well situated no matter where the land goes.
Dammit, I missed that it fetches upon death as well. >.<

Yepp, totally an uncommon, my bad.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

NUMBERS
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NUMBERS » 4 years ago

Yeah, effect wise it feels uncommon on further thought. It being a 1/1 just feels bad to me at its cost, that's more what I was getting at I think?
[FOB] Fallen Obalt | A custom set of Crime, Clues, and Sacrifice.

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

If you put all your cost into being good at card advantage, you don't get to put the cost into being a fatty. And it's not like this needs a big body since it doesn't mind being just sacrificial fodder or a chump blocker.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”