Some Boros Commanders

Subject16
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

For a long time now Boros has been regarded as the weakest color pair in Commander, and for valid reasons in that it lacks what the other three colors can produce very easily - ramp, card advantage and removal. Wizards have struggled for a while in its design space for commanders to move in a direction other than Combat, but recently they've been improving with cards like Firesong and Sunspeaker, Feather and Tiana. I would like to share a few designs I've made for Boros legendaries and would like to hear what you think:

Adrianna, Rouser of Hearts
3RW
Legendary Creature — Human Knight
First Strike, Vigilance
If an effect would create one or more tokens under your control, it creates twice that many of those tokens instead.
3RW: Create a 1/1 white Soldier creature token. Creatures you control get +1/+1 and gain haste until end of turn.
4/4
Krana Resurrected
2RW
Legendary Creature — Minotaur Monk
Vigilance, haste
Exalted (Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn.)
When Krana Resurrected attacks alone, discard your hand, then draw a card for each enchantment you control.
Free at last from a thousand year burden.
3/4
Yan Ha, Soulweaver
2RW
Legendary Creature - Human Monk
At the beginning of your end step, if you exiled one or more cards from the top of your library this turn, shuffle those cards into a face down pile, then manifest them.
Tap an untapped face-down creature you control: Add R.
If a face down permanent you own would leave the battlefield, exile it instead. Until the end of your next turn, you may play that card.
"My worst impulses have become my greatest strength."
2/4
Zurgo Scalebreaker
RW
Legendary Creature — Orc Warrior

Haste, protection from dragons
Each creature card in your hand has dash . Their dash cost is equal to their mana cost reduced by 2. (You may cast a creature card from your hand for its dash cost. If you do, it gains haste, and it's returned from the battlefield to it's owner's hand at the beginning of the next end step.)
Whenever a creature you control, leaves the battlefield, if it wasn't put into a graveyard, Zurgo Scalebreaker deals 1 damage to any target and you gain 1 life.
3/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

These are always very nice, and I always liked Krana from when I first saw them. ;) Yan Ha feels the least white I think and it's considerably more build-around than the others but there are at least way more ways to trigger that ability than just with manifest.

All in all nice ideas.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Subject16

Post by Subject16 » 4 years ago

Thanks, I'm glad you like them! Krana I think is one of my best designs because of how it's a powerful card but also very simple.

I agree that Yan Ha feels a lot more red than white. I had planned on giving her lifelink but then the text box would be VERY busy. She interacts with red's impulsive draw and manages to turn it into a more long-term resource (which is her white "I control my impulses" side."

Adrianna isn't especially original, but she does to Boros what Yarok did to Sultai and I think Boros Tokens is a far more viable strategy when you can guarantee a token doubler.

Zurgo is more of an aggressive commander what with giving everything Dash, but his other ability to ping damage for dashing or blinking could be fun.

I'm looking into other ways to ramp up. I'm thinking a way to generate mana when you gain life perhaps?

TearsOfTomorrow
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by TearsOfTomorrow » 4 years ago

Yan Ha seems a bit convoluted. I'd simplify it into something like "when declaring attack pay x to manifest x cards, tap face-down to make mana". I dunno, I just feel that less is more.
That said, I'm a huge fan of your other creations. Krana in particular, could make for a great Voltron commander :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”