Ripplicate

wizyard
Pronoun: they / them

Post by wizyard » 4 years ago

1R
Instant (C)
Ripplicate (When you cast this spell, copy it for each card with ripplicate in your graveyard. You may choose new targets for the copies,)
~ deals 1 damage to any target.

G
Instant (C)
Ripplicate (When you cast this spell, copy it for each card with ripplicate in your graveyard. You may choose new targets for the copies,)
Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.

2W
Instant (C)
Create a 1/1 white Soldier creature token.

2U
Instant (C)
Return target nonland permanent to its owner's hand.

3B
Sorcery (C)
Target player sacrifices a creature.

user_938036
Answers: 21
Pronoun: he / him

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

I can't imagine this mechanic being safe at any reasonable cost. After the first spell with Ripplicate they are all mostly reasonable cards however after the third they are all beyond broken. Because it functions off of self mill I think this would have to be costed such that not until your third or fourth copy are you getting anywhere close to your manas worth. Which makes the read as unplayable, though some might still be good.

wizyard
Pronoun: they / them

Post by wizyard » 4 years ago

i see what you're saying.

these are inspired by the Odyssey burst cycle, but i tried to make a less parasitic version of the mechanic.

perhaps if the effects of the commons were more minor tho.. like gain 1 life / scry 1 / twiddle...

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

This seems fun - however, it is a fun storm variant. That makes it scary. The reason Kindle-alikes are usually not broken is because they are self-limited by the 4-to-a-deck rule. Once you take that out of the equation, you could reasonably imagine the burn one being a latter-day Grapeshot, for example, and in a way that's maybe even easier to set up than a high storm count is.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

It seems unlikely that powering down the weak ones will actually work. Because you don't ever have to actually cast the weaker cards it's all about the payoffs. If you don't make any payoffs then this mechanic could be printed but at that point is it worth printing? It's the same with storm. The could print lots of cards with storm that don't really accomplish anything but would anyone actually be happy if they brought back storm and it was confined to cards like Astral Steel?

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Raptorchan » 4 years ago

I personally think you better stuck to "copy it for any card with the same name in your graveyard". It still brings fantastic results when you play four such cards. For example, my old design.

Another Manic Monday
u
Sorcery
Target player puts the top two cards of their library into their graveyard.
Accumulation (When you cast this spell, copy it for each card with the same name in your graveyard. You may choose new targets for the copies.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”