Usurper's Throne

wildfire393
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by wildfire393 » 4 years ago

Usurper's Throne
Legendary Artifact
t, exile Usurper's Throne: You may choose a Commander you own and control or a Commander card in your command zone. If you do, that Commander is no longer your Commander for the rest of the game, and exile it. Then, search your library for a legendary creature or planeswalker card and put it into your Command zone, and for the rest of the game, that card is your Commander.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

That seems like it could be abuseable with certain planeswalkers, like, oh, I dunno, Karn Liberated just to name one. I think it would be better to limited it to only planeswalkers that can already be your commander.

But then again, you'd have to be very careful regarding which legendary creature or planeswalker you fetch with this, as if you pick the wrong one you could accidentally lock yourself out of one or more colors in your deck.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 4 years ago

My mono-W deck would *love* this. Really cool idea!

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

Alternate templating:

T, Exile Usurper's Throne: Exile target commander card you own from the battlefield or command zone. It's no longer your commander. Search your library for a legendary creature or planeswalker card and put it into the command zone. It becomes your commander.

(There's only one command zone; players don't each have their own.)
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
But then again, you'd have to be very careful regarding which legendary creature or planeswalker you fetch with this, as if you pick the wrong one you could accidentally lock yourself out of one or more colors in your deck.
Good point—the mana generation rule would still limit you to the colors of your commander. If you're playing Sultai then exile your commander and pick a BG card, you can no longer generate blue mana.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Maybe limit this to tutoring a card that could have been your commander during deck construction (using "...with the same color identity..." templating)? I do agree that it maybe shouldn't get non-commanderable planeswalkers as that invites abuse imho.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

wildfire393

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
That seems like it could be abuseable with certain planeswalkers, like, oh, I dunno, Karn Liberated just to name one. I think it would be better to limited it to only planeswalkers that can already be your commander.

I think the cost should be high enough (between costing a bunch and requiring that you get rid of your current commander, and you lock yourself out of colors if you select Karn or Ugin.
spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
Alternate templating:

T, Exile Usurper's Throne: Exile target commander card you own from the battlefield or command zone. It's no longer your commander. Search your library for a legendary creature or planeswalker card and put it into the command zone. It becomes your commander.

(There's only one command zone; players don't each have their own.)
Right, I guess it doesn't need to specify "your" command zone. I don't believe you can target a card in the Command Zone though, which is why I used the "choose" wording, which then necessitated "if you do". I'm also pretty sure you need to make it no longer your commander before you try to exile it or your can just stick it back into the command zone with the replacement effect.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

wildfire393 wrote:
4 years ago
Right, I guess it doesn't need to specify "your" command zone. I don't believe you can target a card in the Command Zone though, which is why I used the "choose" wording, which then necessitated "if you do". I'm also pretty sure you need to make it no longer your commander before you try to exile it or your can just stick it back into the command zone with the replacement effect.
You can target a card in any zone. See for example Pull from Eternity, the oracle text of which says "target face-up exiled card". Nothing about the command zone makes it any less able to be targeted.

That said, sticking with "choose" might be for the best anyway because your commander on the battlefield might have shroud.

Good point on de-commander-ifying the card before exiling it. That said, thinking about it, if they did choose to apply the replacement effect then the card would just be stuck in the command zone forever. Since it's no longer your commander, you no longer have any permission to cast it from the command zone. That's probably a situation we'd want to prevent anyway to prevent play mistakes.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago

Good point—the mana generation rule would still limit you to the colors of your commander. If you're playing Sultai then exile your commander and pick a BG card, you can no longer generate blue mana.
Wasn't the mana generation rule done away with years ago? This being the case I think it should limit you to having to control your commander. I just don't like the idea of "Progenitus is my commander but I only actually play three colors but I want to have some cards like the bringers and now my commander is something useful, possibly even colorless." It doesn't feel right at all.
If I'm wrong and the mana rule still exists then this isn't really a problem but would still like to limit it to you control. Maybe even add a clause to handle partners.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

D'oh, of course. 🤦 The mana generation rule is totally gone. In my defence I wrote that late at night.

This means there's no actual gameplay consequence to switching to a commander that is only a subset of the other's colors. Your deck's already legal and remains fully playable.

wildfire393

user_938036 wrote:
4 years ago
spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago

Wasn't the mana generation rule done away with years ago? This being the case I think it should limit you to having to control your commander. I just don't like the idea of "Progenitus is my commander but I only actually play three colors but I want to have some cards like the bringers and now my commander is something useful, possibly even colorless." It doesn't feel right at all.
If I'm wrong and the mana rule still exists then this isn't really a problem but would still like to limit it to you control. Maybe even add a clause to handle partners.

Wait, you're right. The mana generation rule was done away with a while ago.

The way I have it worded at the moment works with partners - you just get rid of one to choose a new commander. The other one is still partners with the new guy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”