[Assorted][Daily] SecretInfiltrator's SecretBase

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Great tech for my all-time favorite commander.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Card of the Day 2020-03-05 >

Creepy Chanteuse {2}{U}{B}
Creature – Siren Horror (U)
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, each opponent discards a creature card. If a player can't, they reveal their hand and sacrifice a creature.
2/1

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

That is a very interesting design. The reveal part if they fail to discard a creature is a nice touch and a necessity to prevent cheating. Though the card could easily have been monoblack, it works fine as a blue and black card.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2020-03-06 >

Gilded Bones {1}{B}
Creature – Skeleton Pirate (R)
When ~ dies, if it wasn't tapped, return it to the battlefield tapped. When you do, target opponent creates a Treasure token
2/1

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Yarr, there be plunderin to do.

Seriously though, it's an interesting card, but unless you have a way to give it vigilance consistently, it's a glorified and hard to kill wall. I don't really think it should be a rare card.

It is an interesting take on "pseudo-regenerate" however.

Edit: Accidentally a word.
Last edited by Krishnath 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2020-03-07 >

Synergy Slith {G}{U}
Creature – Slith (U)
~ can't be blocked by creatures with power 2 or less.
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it or proliferate.
1/1

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Synergy Slith is a fun card, many potential decks it would be good in. Perfect for commander, where it would be good in most Simic decks and all Atraxia decks.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2020-03-08 >

Resemblance Sliver {1}{U}
Creature – Sliver (R)
You may have ~ enter the battlefield as a copy of any Sliver creature on the battlefield.
0/0

Morpic_Tide
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Morpic_Tide » 4 years ago

Really? A 2-mana Clone for Slivers? Give it the actual Clone mana cost or more and some base P/T. Having it be, say, 2uu and be base 3/3 then means there's some conditions you want that stronger body.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

I read Morpic_Tide's comment before looking at the card and I thought a sliver clone would make all of your slivers clone something not be a clone for slivers. The clone for slivers makes way more sense but I think a sliver that makes your slivers clone something would be awesome as well.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Morphic_Tide has a valid point, a two mana sliver that clones another sliver is quite powerful. Slivers as a tribe is incredibly powerful by default, and being able to make a copy of any other sliver you control for only two mana is an incredibly powerful effect. People are running Clone effects in sliver commander decks already, and this is giving them access to an additional and cheaper clone effect.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Morphic_Tide has a valid point, a two mana sliver that clones another sliver is quite powerful. Slivers as a tribe is incredibly powerful by default, and being able to make a copy of any other sliver you control for only two mana is an incredibly powerful effect. People are running Clone effects in sliver commander decks already, and this is giving them access to an additional and cheaper clone effect.
Treating tribes differently has been an occurrence as early as Alpha with Lord of Atlantis vs Goblin King. However, slivers have never been treated as an overpowered tribe; getting multiple 2 mana lords and most of their other creatures tend to be costed as though they exist by themselves. As such a 2 mana tribe clone has been done in a very powerful tribe already Jwari Shapeshifter so it seems completely reasonable for slivers to get their own 2 mana clone.

M00NSIDIAN

Post by M00NSIDIAN » 4 years ago

user_938036 wrote:
4 years ago
However, slivers have never been treated as an overpowered tribe
I kind of feel like this is one of the big problems with slivers that lends to their status as being overpowered. Most slivers are fine in a vacuum, but are utterly busted outside of one on account of the fact that the creature type's identity is literally "all of these creatures are lords for lords." (Although, even saying that, some would be gross regardless -- Galerider Sliver is a "what were you even thinking" card if ever there was one, and in other creature types, would be a huge deal.)

I'm not really sure that "you have to play this creature type to get the most out of the card" is a real detriment unless it's tribal support for, like, brushwaggs or pangolins. (The world of Magic 100% needs more pangolins, though.) This -- a sliver that clones other slivers -- is a card design that is probably a good idea, but also probably shouldn't exist. If it's too cheap, it's a huge upgrade compared to existing clone effects, and if it's too expensive, it doesn't do anything to convince me to sub out Clone, or maybe even Cackling Counterpart, for it (although Fated Infatuation will probably be encouraged to take a hike), if we assume those are my only options for putting this into the build. Balancing this card out is really hard.

also imo allies are not that strong compared to slivers so maybe that's not the choicest power metric there

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

user_938036 wrote:
4 years ago
Treating tribes differently has been an occurrence as early as Alpha with Lord of Atlantis vs Goblin King. However, slivers have never been treated as an overpowered tribe; getting multiple 2 mana lords and most of their other creatures tend to be costed as though they exist by themselves. As such a 2 mana tribe clone has been done in a very powerful tribe already Jwari Shapeshifter so it seems completely reasonable for slivers to get their own 2 mana clone.
I have been playing sliver decks pretty much since their introduction way back in Tempest, and when I started playing Commander I played a nasty Sliver Deck with Sliver Queen as the commander (It won by Warp Worlding away almost all my opponents creatures), and the only reason I stopped is because Slivers are crazy busted in the format, and a well tuned Sliver deck is nearly unbeatable unless your opponent has mass removal that exiles. And I can tell you, a two mana clone effect for a sliver deck is insane and not in a good way. It makes an already busted archetype even more broken.

SecretInfiltrator

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
I have been playing sliver decks pretty much since their introduction way back in Tempest, and when I started playing Commander I played a nasty Sliver Deck with Sliver Queen as the commander (It won by Warp Worlding away almost all my opponents creatures), and the only reason I stopped is because Slivers are crazy busted in the format, and a well tuned Sliver deck is nearly unbeatable unless your opponent has mass removal that exiles. And I can tell you, a two mana clone effect for a sliver deck is insane and not in a good way. It makes an already busted archetype even more broken.
The Sliver deck in Commander is problematic, but fortunately this Eternal format has its own method of addressing things and I'm not changing cards based on the Eternal card pool of Commander.

That said, I also used some experience from Singleton formats and took into consideration that Slivers often care about finding key cards (e. g. protection in the form of shroud or removal) but also have a wide array of Slivers were a second copy is redundant (two instances of flying?).

I don't see saving one mana over Mirror Image as the key problem on a card for any such deck.

---

Card of the Day 2020-03-09 >

Gastric Gastropod {3}{B}{G}
Creature – Slug Elemental (U)
Whenever ~ attacks, defending player loses 6 life unless they sacrifice a permanent.
You step into the acid-trail, you can toss the shoe now, or toss the whole foot later.
0/6

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

I like the Gastropod, it *might* be to powerful for an uncommon, but then again I feel the same about Lim-Dûl's Paladin.

Still, I love the card, and would put it as an autoinclude in most Golgari decks.

M00NSIDIAN

Gastropod seems like it'd be really good in Doran, and pretty decent elsewhere. Making an opponent sac one permanent to prevent six damage is not necessarily a huge tradeoff, but with the appropriate setup, it can put the opponent in a very tight spot easily.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2020-03-10 >

Relentless Hydra {3}{G}
Creature – Snake Hydra (R)
~ enters the battlefield with four +1/+1 counters on it.
Eternalize {5}{G}{G} ({5}{G}{G}, Exile this card from your graveyard: Create a token that's a copy of it, except it's a 4/4 black Zombie with no mana cost in addition to its types. Eternalize only as a sorcery.)
0/0

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Ooh, that is an interesting eternalize card, as it comes back bigger when eternalized. I could see this becoming a mainstray of Atraxa, Praetors' Voice commander decks.

M00NSIDIAN

Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Ooh, that is an interesting eternalize card, as it comes back bigger when eternalized. I could see this becoming a mainstray of Atraxa, Praetors' Voice commander decks.
Depends on what else the deck is doing.

But this is a good, smart design regardless, and I'm surprised something to this effect was not created already in HOU. ...actually, there were extremely few creatures with eternalize. Over half of them were rare, too!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Yeah, brilliant stuff honestly. Eternalize has so much unmined design space.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

M00NSIDIAN wrote:
4 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
4 years ago
Depends on what else the deck is doing.

But this is a good, smart design regardless, and I'm surprised something to this effect was not created already in HOU. ...actually, there were extremely few creatures with eternalize. Over half of them were rare, too!
If you ain't doing +1/+1 counters, you're playing Atraxa wrong. :P

SecretInfiltrator

M00NSIDIAN wrote:
4 years ago
That's the kind of shallow exploration of a mechanic (that admittedly is quite shallow) you get with something only introduced in the final small set of a block - especially a mechanic that's just a variant of something you already explored in the large set before.

This design in particular was not available to the people at Wizards because HOU - being part of AKH-block - used -1/-1 counters and excluded +1/+1 counters, so maybe someone had it on their mind and just couldn't put it into the set. The same design making a smaller eternal just doesn't feel exciting.

---

Card of the Day 2020-03-11 >

Daxos, Champion's Companion {1}{G}{W}
Legendary Creature – Human Soldier (R)
Heroic — Whenever you cast a spell that targets ~, reveal the top three cards of your library. Put a land card revealed this way onto the battlefield and a creature or planeswalker card revealed this way into your hand. Put the remaining cards on the bottom of your library in any order.
2/2

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

That is a pretty nice card, I could totally build a deck around him. Put a few reusable (i.e. buyback, rebound, and/or flashback) cards that target him into the deck, and you could have a nice value engine going.

M00NSIDIAN

GW Daxos' Heroic trigger is pretty powerful. As per Krishnath: Anoint and Change of Heart are good choices to sit there building up for a couple turns.
SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
This design in particular was not available to the people at Wizards because HOU - being part of AKH-block - used -1/-1 counters and excluded +1/+1 counters, so maybe someone had it on their mind and just couldn't put it into the set. The same design making a smaller eternal just doesn't feel exciting.
Point. Amazing how much I forget and how fast.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”