Post by SecretInfiltrator » 2 years ago

Card of the Day 2021-09-05 >>
Cardset of the Week: [Tribute] Dreamvale

Text Card
Show
Hide
Mistkin Entrancer {3}{U}
Creature — Elemental Wizard (C)
Flying (This creature can't be blocked except by creatures with flying or reach.)
When ~ enters the battlefield, phase out target creature. It doesn't phase in during its controller's next untap step.
Your own dreams are an enticingly pleasant prison

2/2

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Card of the Day 2021-09-06 >>
Cardset of the Week: [Tribute] Phlea

Text Card
Show
Hide
Tideswept Sage {1}{U}
Creature — Plant Wizard (C)
{U}, {T}: Scry 1, then draw a card, then discard a card.
"If the kelp hasn't read about it in the tides, probably no one anywhere has."
—Zonyx, vellum scribe

1/1

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-09-07 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Weathered Stoneroot {2}{R}
Creature — Treefolk Shaman (U)
As an additional cost to cast this spell, reveal a Treefolk card or Forest card from your hand or pay {3}.
At the beginning of your upkeep, add {R}{G}. Until end of turn, you don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.

2/4

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

Good stuff as usual. Very thoughtful designs.

Scarred Berserker seems like it could warp limited.

Somber Bay I like it alot though to me feels more like an Eldrazi emerge/breach of a 3/2 colorless Eldrazi Horror.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

SecretInfiltrator

Thank you! I'm happy even french vanilla designs get liked.
Legend wrote:
2 years ago
Somber Bay I like it alot though to me feels more like an Eldrazi emerge/breach of a 3/2 colorless Eldrazi Horror.
The colorless Zombies definitely get their very own creative treatment. If Eldrazi were not quite such walking world-devouring cataclysms, I could see that, too. The ominous unsettling necro-biology of the Foul Ones is definitely something I wouldn't have come up with if I didn't have this prompt.

I suppose, every choice you make closes some doors for you. Doesn't mean there is no room for those designs in another project.
Last edited by SecretInfiltrator 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-09-08 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Clear-Cut Solution {2}{B}{B}
Sorcery (R)
Choose a creature type or cardname of a nonbasic land. Destroy all permanents with the chosen type or cardname.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-09-09 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Grace of Ancestral Laurels {4}{W}
Enchantment — Aura (C)
Enchant creature
When ~ enters the battlefield, create a 2/2 white Plant Spirit creature token with lifelink.
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has lifelink.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-09-10 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Cherryfolk Herder {3}{G}
Creature — Treefolk Shaman (U)
Reach (This creature can block creatures with flying.)
{T}: For each color among Saprolings you control, add one mana of that color.

2/4

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-09-11 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Benthic Surge {3}{U}
Sorcery (C)
Create three 1/1 blue Saproling creature tokens.
{3}{U}, Exile ~ from your graveyard: Up to three target token creatures gain flying until end of turn.
At the signal of their swarmherd a host of detritivores rushes from the sediment farms all the way to the surface and bursts into the air to pluck gulls from the winds.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-09-12 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Rustle of Leaves {1}{G}
Sorcery (C)
Search your library for a card that's a Plant, Treefolk and/or Forest, reveal it and put it into your hand. If you reveal a basic Forest card this way, you may put it onto the battlefield instead.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-09-13 >>
Cardset of the Week: [Tribute] Primeriad

Text Card
Show
Hide
Hideous Creeper {4}{B}
Creature — Slug (C)
Feral — ~ has menace as long as its power is the greatest power among creatures you control.
Seldom there is a warning not to get close to the cavern slugs despite their danger. If you don't turn around from the smell or at the first glance of it, what are the chances you would heed a warning?

4/4

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 2 years ago

I think this is the first card I've seen you make that doesn't work in the rules. Because of the way layers work you can't have a continuous ability that checks things deeper in the layers to grant something in a previous layer. Which means you can't check p/t to grant an ability unless it checks only at a specific time like a trigger or activated ability. The game can't "go back" and grant an ability after checking the p/t.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

user_938036 wrote:
2 years ago
I think this is the first card I've seen you make that doesn't work in the rules. Because of the way layers work you can't have a continuous ability that checks things deeper in the layers to grant something in a previous layer. Which means you can't check p/t to grant an ability unless it checks only at a specific time like a trigger or activated ability. The game can't "go back" and grant an ability after checking the p/t.
Maybe if it checks base power then?
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

No need for that. It just needs to be a triggered ability that triggers every turn.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

user_938036

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
user_938036 wrote:
2 years ago
Maybe if it checks base power then?
Its still checking layer 7b to apply an effect in layer 6. Which is a problem. Continuous effects simply can't function this way for the purpose of internal consistency. A triggered ability would work fine as they handle the reading of the game differently. Just trigger at combat to grant menace. Other than the odd case of an opponent powering up a creature so it loses menace mid combat so it can be blocked by a single creature it should accomplish the same goal.

SecretInfiltrator

Let thatbe a lesson: Never blindly copy the wording of another custom card creator. But then again the/a point of [Tribute] sets is for me to throw caution into the wind and work with a foundation of cards that I often wouldn't have created myself. Feral is a perfect example not just because ofits iffy use on static abilities, but because caring about having a single greatest power is really creating a deck that plays against itself if you have e. g. two or three feral creatures out. The mechanic is flawed in many ways.

The observation that layers are problematic here is correct. The cards needs to be changed. Triggering at combat would seem suitable, but then this card is part of a pretty tight cycle that doesn't involve only combat abilities. Granting hexproof only at the beginning of combat seems less useful.

So for now it seems like an activated ability seems the best way to go. And I actually have already a grand way to make this ability potentially cool and unique and still common. I'll update the card soon, but here is my preview solution:

Feral{B}: ~ gains menace until end of turn. This ability costs {B} less to activate if ~'s power is the greatest power among creatures you control.

Maybe I'll be able to do something about this card being worse than Cavern Whisperer, too, at some point. : )

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-09-14 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Zher Vul Firecat {2}{R}
Creature — Elemental Cat (C)
Haste, trample
At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice ~.
Scavenge {4}{R}{R} ({4}{R}{R}, Exile this card from your graveyard: Put a number of +1/+1 counters equal to this card's power on target creature. Scavenge only as a sorcery.)

4/2

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-09-15 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Dustwing Aquillix {W}{W}{W}
Creature — Lizard Beast (C)
Flying (This creature can't be blocked except by creatures with flying or reach.)
2/4

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-09-16 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Secretive Undorak {1}{G}{U}
Creature — Beast (U)
Creatures you control and haven't controlled since the beginning of your most recent turn get +2/+2.
3/2

user_938036

That is an ability. Five times reading it outloud to myself before I had any idea what it actually did and I'm still uncertain. If you could confirm, this is supposed to give all creatures +2/+2 except those that have been swapped control by threaten?

SecretInfiltrator

user_938036 wrote:
2 years ago
That is an ability. Five times reading it outloud to myself before I had any idea what it actually did and I'm still uncertain. If you could confirm, this is supposed to give all creatures +2/+2 except those that have been swapped control by threaten?
It's actually supposed to work best with flash, haste and change of control.

Here a proposal for an improved less ambiguous wording o the functionally same ability: "Each creature you control that you haven't controlled since the beginning of your most recent turn gets +2/+2." The wording is IIRC identical with the definition of summoning sickness.

If I had intended your interpretation I would have doubled on mentioning "creatures" i. e. "Creatures you control and creatures that you haven't controlled since the beginning of your most recent turn get +2/+2." Alternatively I could have used "and/or".

Useful to have those extra pairs of eyes discovering ambiguous and hard to parse wording.

---

Card of the Day 2021-09-17 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Slickwing {1}{U}
Creature — Bird (C)
Flying
Evolve (Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, if that creature has greater power or toughness than this creature, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)
"I never noticed before the resemblance of those small coastal predators to the terrors that hunt mammoths far inland."
—Mmoya, eye witch

1/1

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-09-18 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Rotten Larva {B}
Creature — Insect Zombie (R)
Whenever another creature card leaves your graveyard, you may pay {1}{B}. If you do, return ~ to the battlefield tapped.
Many echin brood hills are corrupted by necromantic miasmas from the Urak. Their larval stock will hunger forever, but never grow beyond the feeding stage.

1/1

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-09-19 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Infernal Hellkite {R}{R}{R}{R}{R}
Creature — Dragon Beast (M)
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield, sacrifice two nonland permanents.
The peaks of Zher Vul are home to those that breath smoke and bleed fire.

7/7

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-09-20 >>
Cardset of the Week: [Tribute] Raythar

Text Card
Show
Hide
Leyline Archmage {3}{U}{U}
Creature — Human Wizard (R)
If ~ is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.
Flying
~ can't attack or block unless you control five or more lands.
{U}, {T}: Scry 1.

3/3

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-09-21 >>
Cardset of the Week: [Tribute] Raythar

Text Card
Show
Hide
Roaring Fume-Jaw {4}{R}
Creature — Elemental Dinosaur (C)
Menace (This creature can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.)
When ~ enters the battlefield, up to two target creatures can't block this turn.
The faith of the populace is fueled by fear not only of the Cloth, but also of the things that claw their way out of the earth.

4/3

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”