Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 3 years ago

Card of the Day 2021-01-14 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Soul Witness {2}{W}
Creature — Spirit (C)
Whenever one or more cards leave your graveyard, you gain that much life.
2/3

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-01-15 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Stormbringer {3}{R}
Creature — Viashino Shaman (U)
{T}: ~ deals 1 damage to any target.
Whenever you cast a spell from exile, untap ~.

1/2

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Soul Witness - Might be a bit to powerful as a common, doubly so if the environment in which it was printed has a graveyard theme (Unearth, Flashback, and Delve being the main culprits). So it should probably be an uncommon.

Stormbringer (Elric flashbacks intensifies). Anyway, Seems like a solid uncommon, works well with both rebound, adventure, and foretell.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-01-16 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Brightsmoke Rite {R}
Sorcery (U)
Each player exiles the top card of their library and may play cards they own exiled this way until the end of their next turn.
Flashback {1}{W} (You may cast this card from your graveyard for its flashback cost. Then exile it.)

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-01-17 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Charge of the Brotherhood {W}
Instant (C)
Target creature and each creature that shares a name with it controlled by the same player gets +2/+1 until end of turn.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Brightsmoke Rite - I like this card, it's a very interesting ability. However, I don't see what about the card is white, so to me the Flashback cost doesn't make sense.

Charge of the Brotherhood - Now, this card is pretty awesome. Has shades of the Echoing cycle from Darksteel (Echoing Courage and friends.) It might be a little to strong for its casting cost, but I think that is mostly dependent on the set it got put in. In a set with a lot of token generation the card is a lot stronger than one without a lot of token generation. But generally it should be fine as is, a good common, but possibly a very strong one. I like it.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

SecretInfiltrator

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Brightsmoke Rite - I like this card, it's a very interesting ability. However, I don't see what about the card is white, so to me the Flashback cost doesn't make sense.
Since Happily Ever After symmetrical card draw is back on the table for white. So this is just temporary symmetrical card draw, the intersection of red's and white's approach to card draw.
Charge of the Brotherhood - Now, this card is pretty awesome. Has shades of the Echoing cycle from Darksteel (Echoing Courage and friends.) It might be a little to strong for its casting cost, but I think that is mostly dependent on the set it got put in. In a set with a lot of token generation the card is a lot stronger than one without a lot of token generation. But generally it should be fine as is, a good common, but possibly a very strong one. I like it.
I should have remembered, or at least guessed, that cycle exists already. I bet token decks would make better use of this in Constructed than the Limited archetype this was meant for, but it's not so far off of Echoing Courage that I'm too worried.

---

Card of the Day 2021-01-18 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Unexpected Flourishing {3}{G}{W}
Sorcery (R)
Mill six cards. For each card type, you may return a card of that type milled this way from your graveyard to your hand.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
3 years ago
Since Happily Ever After symmetrical card draw is back on the table for white. So this is just temporary symmetrical card draw, the intersection of red's and white's approach to card draw.
It's not the symmetrical thing I have an issue with for Brightsmoke Rite, it's the exile then cast part. It's not a white ability. It being symmetrical doesn't make it white.

As for Unexpected Flourishing, I am not really sure what makes this card green or white. It's a really nice card though.

SecretInfiltrator

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
SecretInfiltrator wrote:
3 years ago
It's not the symmetrical thing I have an issue with for Brightsmoke Rite, it's the exile then cast part. It's not a white ability. It being symmetrical doesn't make it white.
I consider exile-draw to be a diminished form of draw the same way restricted damage (e. g. to only attacking/blocking creatures) is a diminished form of burn, compare Burning Oil.

If you don't subscribe to the idea that "temporary draw is just diminished draw", you will have a problem with this card, obviously.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
SecretInfiltrator wrote:
3 years ago
I consider exile-draw to be a diminished form of draw the same way restricted damage (e. g. to only attacking/blocking creatures) is a diminished form of burn, compare Burning Oil.

If you don't subscribe to the idea that "temporary draw is just diminished draw", you will have a problem with this card, obviously.
It's an ability that is, so far, exclusive to red. An argument can be made for it in blue, but I just can't see it in white. Sorry.

Morpic_Tide
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Morpic_Tide » 3 years ago

Brightsmoke Rite would work a lot more "cleanly" as a hybrid card, as those (at least recently) allow mixing the downsides, such as a Black/Blue draw effect that asks for discard and life payment, despite being castable with only one of the two colors. Downsides are still part of the color pie, "Impulsive draw" is still mono-Red, and Flashback has yet to do this sort of overlap. Granted, the aforementioned situation with hybrid mana does allow for this bleed to exist, but it's a new bit of design space, however marginally. The general argument around White not getting card draw is moot because it's not getting card advantage doing symmetrical draw.

Blue/White can be technically justified without altering the color pie, if one goes back to the ancient Wormfang mechanic (Which is not what Oblivion Ring is doing, MaRo, Wormfangs were a downside, White's thing is its version of bouncing), but that would need to be on an ETB effect to properly operate in that paradigm. In that case, a White/Red Unearth cost could be used as it makes the effect impulsive, but then we're talking a very different model of hybrid Flashback and that variety of color blend hurts me to look at.

SecretInfiltrator

I actually see no reason to not use the same perspective for a card that can be cast using both a mono-red cost and a mono.white cost as you would use for a card with a hybrid red-white cost. I would argue the exact same rules should apply.

---

Card of the Day 2021-01-19 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Artisan's Reward {2}{W}
Sorcery (U)
Return an Aura card from your graveyard to your hand, then do the same for Equipment, Saga, and Vehicle.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-01-20 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Ranging Carnosaurus {3}{G}{G}
Creature – Dinosaur (U)
When ~ enters the battlefield after it was cast, if you have four or more cards in hand, create a token that is a copy of ~. Otherwise, draw a card.
3/3

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Artisan's Reward - This card could be really, really strong in the right environment, but most often it'll only get one or two cards. It is more limited in scope than say, Reconstruction as it only hits subtypes, so I think it is perfectly balanced, as all things should be /meme.

Ranging Carnosaurus - You could probably drop the last "us" from the name without issue, as for the mechanical aspect, it seems fairly balanced for a green uncommon. It gives you a nice reward if you have a fair amount of cards in hand, by giving you a 3/3 dinosaur token, and if you don't, it's basically a Kavu Climber. Good card, both for limited and constructed decks.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-01-21 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Humming Drone {5}
Artifact Creature – Drone (U)
Whenever a player discards a card, that player mills two cards.
If a player would mill any number of cards, they mill that many cards plus two instead.

3/5

BOVINE
Legendary Creature – Ox

Post by BOVINE » 3 years ago

Very interesting. I've always liked mill as a late game finish effect. Now this doesn't finish along obv but it enables some deep mill. Keep up the amazing daily work. I'm sure it has been very instructive. Consistent part of my day.
B O V I N E

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Only issue I have with Humming Drone is that with the current wording, it mills four cards whenever an opponent discards a card. Now, I don't know if that is intentional or not, but in case it isn't, the second part of the card needs to read:

"If a source other than Humming Drone causes a player to mill any number of cards, they mill that many cards plus two instead."

Now, other than that, I really like the card, but it may be a tad overcosted, I think the casting cost could be reduced to 4 without issue, possibly even as low as 3 depending on the environment it got printed in.

SecretInfiltrator

BOVINE wrote:
3 years ago
Very interesting. I've always liked mill as a late game finish effect. Now this doesn't finish along obv but it enables some deep mill. Keep up the amazing daily work. I'm sure it has been very instructive. Consistent part of my day.
Glad to hear it. : )
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
Only issue I have with Humming Drone is that with the current wording, it mills four cards whenever an opponent discards a card. Now, I don't know if that is intentional or not
It is intentional. If I didn't want these to interact I'd probably write it as a single replacement effect though: "If a player would discard a card or mill one or more cards, they do so and then mill two more cards."

---

Card of the Day 2021-01-22 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Dreamshard of Growth {2}{G}
Artifact Enchantment — Shard (C)
When ~ enters the battlefield or leaves the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on a creature you control.
{2}, Sacrifice ~: Scry 1, then draw a card.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
3 years ago
It is intentional. If I didn't want these to interact I'd probably write it as a single replacement effect though: "If a player would discard a card or mill one or more cards, they do so and then mill two more cards."
Glad to hear it, it's a great card. :)

As for Dreamshard of Growth, seeing an artifact enchantment feels kinda weird, but there is really nothing preventing it. It's clearly inspired by the puzzleknots, and looking at its abilities, I think you could drop the casting cost to 1G without issue, as it is not that powerful. All in all, a solid design, and even as is, I could see myself playing it. Particularly in decks that care about +1/+1 counters.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-01-23 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Graven Tombguard {2}{W}
Artifact Creature — Graveborn (U)
When ~ is put into your hand from your graveyard, you may pay {1}{W}. When you do, return another target artifact card from your graveyard to your hand.
3/2

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-01-24 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Hushgrove Guardian {2}{G/W}{G/W}{G/W}
Enchantment Creature — Elk (U)
When ~ enters the battlefield, choose any number of creature and/or enchantment cards in your graveyard. You gain 1 life for each card chosen this way, then shuffle them into your library.
3/6

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-01-25 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Altar of Aspiration {U}{R}
Artifact (R)
{T}, Discard a card: Draw a card.
{5}{U}{R}, {T}, Discard your hand, Sacrifice ~: Draw seven cards.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-01-26 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Irritable Oxen {3}{R}
Creature — Ox (C)
As long as you have discarded a card this turn, ~ has haste and gets +2/+0.
Madness {3}{R} (If you discard this card, discard it into exile. When you do, cast it for its madness cost or put it into your graveyard.)

2/3
Last edited by SecretInfiltrator 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

SecretInfiltrator

Card of the Day 2021-01-27 >>

Text Card
Show
Hide
Phantasmal Pike {2}{U}
Creature — Fish Spirit (C)
Whenever ~ attacks, you may pay {1}{U}. If you do, draw a card, then discard a card.
As long as you've drawn two or more cards this turn, ~ gets +1/+0 and has flying.

2/2

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Graven Tombguard - This card requires a very specific deck build to be useful (reanimation and artifacts), I could see this card be a commander allstar. 8/10

Hushgrove Guardian - I don't get why this card is white, as the shuffle into library from graveyard ability is usually seen on green and blue cards. That said I literally can't see anything mechanically wrong with the card, and it could be very strong in Devotion decks, or other decks that care about mana symbols. A very solid card. 8/10

Altar of Aspiration - A very solid rare that would be a must have in Niv-Mizzet commander decks. 9/10

Irritable Oxen - Ox creatures are usually green or white, however everything about this card just screams red. A solid common, and the flavor is great. 7/10

Phantasmal Pike - I'll be entirely honest here, after reading the name I got confused that the card wasn't an artifact, then I read the typeline, and everything clicked. The hilarity of a fish having the same name as a weapon. Seems like a solid common. 7/10

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”