void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Eliminate by Wind 1U
Instant (U)
Kicker 1W
Counter target artifact, enchantment, or planeswalker spell. If this spell was kicked, exile all permanents that share a card type with that spell, then return them to the battlefield under their owners' control.

Confuse by Darkness 1U
Instant (U)
Kicker 4B
Counter target creature spell. If this spell was kicked, if that creature spell is countered this way, put it onto the battlefield under your control instead of into its owner's graveyard.

Smother by Heat 1U
Instant (U)
Kicker 3R
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 2. If this spell was kicked, it deals damage to that spell's controller equal to the number of tapped lands they control.

Capture by Branches 1U
Instant (U)
Kicker 2G
Counter target instant or sorcery spell. If this spell was kicked, if that instant or sorcery spell is countered this way, exile it instead of putting it into its owner's graveyard and choose target creature you control. That creature gains "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, you may copy the exiled card and cast it without paying its mana cost."
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 2 years ago

The choice in what was countered made sense until I got to red and green was a massive curveball.

Eliminate by Wind. a very reasonable card. in something like kaladesh limited where there are lots of artifacts with ETBs this is both a maindeckable answer and a useful tool to reuse your artifacts.

Confuse by darkness, Desertion is only 5 and counters and spell. Though the added value of actually only costing 2 is significant. If you want to push it the kicker could drop by 1.

Smother by Heat. I'm shocked there aren't many similar cards in existence. The closest is Essence Backlash. I was initially shocked this didn't counter instants and sorcerys but it's a better card for breaking that trend.

Capture by branches, it feels so very wrong after the first two that the green one counters instants and sorcerys. Though I can see why this is the way it is. That said. A change to help templating and powerlevel. Always exile. That way you don't have to have the double if. Also don't target with the kicker.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Thanks for the comments!

The cycle sprang out of the red entry. I thought Smother by Heat would be neat to make as a tax-counter with an extra effect that punished paying off the tax. Then I wanted to make all the off-color kicker entries. I agree Capture by Branches feels off but I also thought the green-influenced one hitting instorceries would fit due to hexproof.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”