Tul-Tazlan - Post Apocalypse Set - Brainstorming thread

Incredium
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Incredium » 2 years ago

So I've been pretty burnt out on the SCP set I was making for good while now and decided to start up on a new one that I didn't have to reverse engineer from pre-existing lore just to give myself a break. Decided to do a full set inspired by Tul-Tazlan, a set touched on in the collaborative create a booster game over on contests and games. The whole concept of the plane involves a fantasy world that was reduced to a mostly desert wasteland with every kind of apocalypse imaginable seeming to have been simultaneously triggered a long time ago in an unknown event. Posted about it on set creation but haven't gotten much response so figured more people would see it here (also might make more sense to go in the main area anyways.)

Possible Mechanics:
Found in booster

Kicker
Caprice (when you cast this spell, flip a coin until you lose a flip.)
Sandsoul
Mirage (3, exile this card from your graveyard: create a 2/2 blue illusion creature token. Activate only as a sorcery.)

New additions
Wither
Salvage (Cast this spell only from your graveyard. If it would leave the battlefield, exile it instead.) Double sided card similar to Disturb or Aftermath but is always a non-creature artifact. Comments on mechanic is appreciated.
Example for clarification

Rusted Shambler2b
Artifact Creature - Zombie Construct (c)
Has it decayed from what it once was, or was it ever alive at all?
2/2
//
Corpse Burner 3b
Salvage (Cast this spell only from your graveyard. If it would leave the battlefield, exile it instead.)
b,t, exile target creature card from your graveyard: Draw a card and lose 1 life.

Improvements to the mechanic would be appreciated

Subthemes
Deserts
-1/1 counters
Vehicles (a la Mad Max)

I'm going to for sure include kicker, sandsoul, caprice and Salvage (if it needs to be modified to work I will include the modified version) but do not know if I want to include Mirage or Wither. I'd like to keep it it down to 5 mechanics. This is probably the biggest issue. I can't decide which of these two would make the cut. I don't know if the effect of Mirage is unique enough to include as a named mechanic and I don't know if I should include wither to expand the design space of the -1/-1 counters subtheme (and make it a little more different than Amonkhet). Can't really move forward until this is solved.

Incredium
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Incredium » 2 years ago

Archetypes I've got so far (open to suggestions.) will post some lore about what factions would correspond to them. Each is supposed to be based on either a kind of apocalypse found in popular media or a post apocalyptic trope.

RG: Coin Flip/Caprice.
Faction: Beastfolk. Mutated/ sentient animals living in the wild magic zones. References to Planet of the Apes and Zoo.

GW: Tokens.
Faction: Setechaf Bunkerfolk. A collection of people living in underground bunkers that rarely come out except to scavenge for supplies that can't be provided by the self sustaining ecosystem within. Very xenophobic and fearful of anything to do with things outside their bunkers.

WU: Illusions(?) (May change if Mirage is cut.)
Faction: Priests of the Faceless Gods. A bunch of half mad people who worship broken effigies from the old world and create illusions of the past that serve as their gods.

UB: Cards leaving your graveyard/Salvage(?). Kind of overlaps with ru with salvage so would want some ways to distinguish them.
Faction: Not sure. Was thinking some kind of scrapper or salvager group.

BR: Kicker.
Faction: Phen-Rah guild(?). Was honestly thinking this would be a good place to have the mutant cannibal people you see in lots of apocalypse movies. Probably working for half mutated demon lord that survived the disaster. Kinda plays on the idea of kicker as an "additional cost" that you sacrifice for power.

wb: Deserts/Sandsoul.
Factions: Hakazi Caravans. Mysterious traveling merchants that traverse the sands by night to avoid the sun and have a mystical ability to bind. Origin unknown. Houses lots of unexpectedly civilized vampires who due to blood being scarce due to low populations and needing to barter needed supplies with others to get enough to survive. Does business with setechaf a lot. Rivalry with Sun Cult Marauders.

WR: Vehicles
Faction: Sun Cult Marauders. Led by Tiso the Sun lord, worships the sun and ritualistically burns themselves to create magical resistance to its rays. Raid other factions for resources constantly using mechanical contraptions salvaged from old world tech. Heavy Mad Max vibes. Rivalry with Hakazi Caravans.

RU: Either artifacts or artifact creatures.
Faction: Figured I'd have a sky net-esque arcane AI that constantly manufactures drones and robot soldiers to hunt down any life it can find. It and it's minions would constitute this faction (definitely have to put a terminator inspired legendary in the set somewhere, lol) .

UG: self Mill? Kind of not as sure about this one. Don't wanna do generic simic ramp or card draw. (Cause ew.)
Faction: a l i e n s??? Not sure. Ideas welcome.

GB: -1/-1 counters (wither?)
Faction: Sludge Fields of Kulf. Classic mutant/zombie wasteland scenario with the monsters within trying to infect and mutate rest of the world.

None of this is truly set in stone. If y'all wanted to give some ideas either for mechanics, archetypes or even possible lore I'd appreciate it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”