Two-Color God Weapons

wildfire393
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by wildfire393 » 2 years ago

Staff of Athreos
Legendary Enchantment Artifact
As long as Staff of Athreos is untapped, cards can't leave players' graveyards.
, : Exile target card in a graveyard. If it's a creature card, you gain 2 life and may cast that card as long as it is exiled.

Amphora of Ephara
You may cast creature spells as though they had flash.
, : Exile target creature card. Return it to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.

Armaments of Iroas
Attacking creatures you control get +2/+0.
, : Destroy target blocking creature. Each creature it was blocking gains double strike and trmaple until end of turn.

Scythe of Karametra
Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, gain 1 life and put a +1/+1 counter on up to one target creature.
, : Destroy target creature with power 4 or greater. You may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield.

Rod of Keranos
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, scry 1. Then, you may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.
, : Rod of Keranos deals X damage to any target, where X is the number of cards you've drawn this turn.

Spindle of Klothys
Your opponents can't cast spells during your turn.
, : Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control. If the creature you don't control would die this turn, instead exile it.

Bangle of Kruphix
You may spend colorless mana as though it were mana of any color.
, : Add to your mana pool for each card in your hand.

Axe of Mogis
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, Axe of Mogis deals 1 damage to that opponent and to each creature and planeswalker that opponent controls.
, : Destroy target creature or planeswalker that was dealt damage this turn.

Bowl of Pharika
Whenever a creature with deathtouch deals combat damage to an opponent, that player gets 2 poison counters
, : Gain 3 life for each poison counter a player has.

Cloak of Phenax
Whenever a creature you control attacks and isn't blocked, the defending player mills 3.
, : Target creature you control can't be blocked this turn. When that creature deals combat damage to a player this turn, choose up to one target card in that player's graveyard. If you do, that player reveals his hand and library and you may exile any number of cards with the same name as the chosen card from that player's hand, graveyard, and library.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

When I saw these were all hybrid, I was initially skeptical about how much work you could make them do, but these all seem to work really well. You did a lot with the design space you had! I like that the activated and non-activated abilities of each artifact work together.

Bangle of Kruphix has "You may spend colorless mana as though it were mana of any color." I can see that ability in mono-green, but I don't think mono-blue would or should ever get capacity to just filter colorless mana into all colors. Looking at recent blue mana producers, blue can add and sometimes , and it frequently comes with a constraint that the mana is only for blue things. I suggest picking something else.

I really like the activated ability of Bangle of Kruphix. It's very blue and very green. I'd reduce the cost down to 1GU or it'll be nearly impossible to get net mana out of this thing. Speaking of which, something this card wants is for you to have cards in hand, and something both blue and green do well is curiosity effects. Could the first ability on this be something along the lines of Bred for the Hunt? (Bident of Thassa also did this, though, so maybe you want to play in a different space, but there may be a different way to do this same variety of ability.)

Axe of Mogis does mass damage to your opponents' creatures on every one of their turns. I think that's out of pie for mono-black. Meanwhile, mass damage to only creatures your opponents control is out of pie for mono-red—when mono-red does sweepers like this, it'll hit every creature owned by every player—exceptions exist but are very rare. A cost of 3BR could maybe do this, although it's a fairly oppressive ability (it hoses 1/1 tokens, hoses all planeswalkers from ulting, is similar to a global 0/-1, etc) and I'd only tentatively stick it on a Demon creature. I suggest picking out something different for this.

Cloak of Phenax isn't out of pie, but you might be under-estimating the oppressiveness of a lobotomy effect every turn.

Rod of Keranos is very cool. I'd caution the consideration that if I use a wheel effect, I could access bolting a player for 8+ fairly easily. Maybe that's fine though—put this in a set with Forgotten Creation and dare people to do the combo.

Scythe of Karametra and Spindle of Klothys are perhaps my favourite of the bunch.

Bowl of Pharika makes me happy to see Fynn, the Fangbearer's ability again. Seeing the low-key deathtouch tribal abilities that've been happening recently in these colors is real neat.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 2 years ago

Staff might be too cheap for an infinite duration on casting. There's essentially no downside to activating this at the opponents end step. Maybe make it only activate as sorcery.

Amphora is a stretch on the pie but its not out of pie so it can get a pass.

Armaments is brutal but at an acceptable cost.

Scythe is actually a fairly perfect balance of stretching for hybrid and Chinese menu multicolor. Its possible it could cost lest but that might be too good.

Rod, this probably costs too much for its activated ability. While one damage is powerful because it can only reliably be used on your turn 3 may be a more appropriate cost.

Spindle, this isn't really a red or green effect. This just isn't how these colors protect their stuff.

Bangle, this isn't a blue effect. the activated is a bend that costs too much and is bad without the passive which should change.

Axe, is a very slight miss on every level. Its too strong its an unreasonably heavy bend and misses out on a lot of synergy. Dealing the damage on your upkeep makes this synergies with a lot of red/Black strategies. Dealing damage indiscriminately fixes the bend. And making you choose between creatures, planeswalkers and players would fix the power issue.

Bowl, this is bad. Poison is bad unless you go heavy and this doesn't.

Cloak, this is hard to judge. I could see it being oppressive sometimes while others its worthless.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

user_938036 wrote:
2 years ago
Spindle, this isn't really a red or green effect. This just isn't how these colors protect their stuff.
wildfire393 wrote:
2 years ago
Spindle of Klothys
Your opponents can't cast spells during your turn.
Now that you mention it, this static only shows up on 3 white and blue cards (and a Commander equipment). Also a related effect has shown up on two Teferis.

I guess it's safe to say that, based on the cards we've seen, this kind of ability belongs to white and blue right now.

wildfire393
Answers: 1

Post by wildfire393 » 2 years ago

For Spindle I was considering something like Gruul Spellbreaker and various Red/Green cards that make your things uncounterable like Vexing Shusher. Green's gotten cards like Dosan the Falling Leaf and City of Solitude, while Red gets stuff like War's Toll and Price of Glory which can make it hard for your opponents to cast spells on your turn. It's definitely a bit of a bend, but I don't think it would be entirely out of the realm of possibility.

As for Axe , it can certainly be tweaked a bit. My primary intent was for this to pick off small creatures and chip at players' life totals, making both parts of Mogis, God of Slaughter more threatening - without 1/1's as sac fodder it's a real choice to sacrifice and the damage is more threatening if your life total is being threatened from other angles. It can certainly be switched to triggering on your own upkeep, hitting Planeswalkers can be dropped, and the effect could be made universal. But I don't see it as a particularly large bend in either color as-is - Goblin Chainwhirler does exactly this, and while black doesn't get Pestilence Demon effects much anymore, it does do one-sided -1/-1s and lifeloss.

Bangle is definitely one I had trouble with on the hybrid ability. Kruphix, God of Horizons himself is tricky to synergize with. I think I might have a decent alternate though: something like Thunderous Snapper that rewards you casting expensive spells with cards. I'm thinking "When you cast a spell with converted mana cost 7 or greater, draw 2 cards". Thoughts?

Appreciate the input, for sure.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 2 years ago

As I said for spindle, it's not how those colors do that thing. Both green and red get uncounterable and green gets many varieties of hexproof. Dipping into other colors territory to accomplish something you do but differently is fine when justified by greater design of the world but not a single hybrid. As a hybrid its already heavily stretching to get an in color version of this effect as red doesn't really protect its permanents.

Bangle caring about large cards being cast is a reasonable place to go. Though 7 seems too high.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Dosan is old enough I wouldn't lean on him for modern pie information, and Visions is before there was anything at all resembling the modern mechanical color pie (Prodigal Sorcerer would be in print for several more years).

Goblin Chainwhirler shaped a whole format during Dominaria standard. Take a look at Pro tour dominaria's results, it was a 4-of in every one of those red decks. Making it once per turn is a whole lot.

Chainwhirler practically was already particularly a bend, and I don't say that for power reasons but the fact red almost never does this as a one-sided effect—and Chainwhirler is instructive as to why. Granted. Chainwhirler followed that up with being a 3/3 first striker, but you're following that up with a repeatable destroy, which isn't far off.

chochky
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by chochky » 2 years ago

These are cool designs. I will say the Bowl of Pharika feels thematically off - I don't recall her cards (or cards referencing her) ever having anything to do with poison counters. Maybe go with some sort of snake token creation instead?

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

chochky wrote:
2 years ago
These are cool designs. I will say the Bowl of Pharika feels thematically off - I don't recall her cards (or cards referencing her) ever having anything to do with poison counters. Maybe go with some sort of snake token creation instead?
I think it's okay to dip into poison counters for Pharika. Deathtouch into poison counters is a relatively new development introduced by Fynn, the Fangbearer alongside some other "deathtouch matters" developments (like deathtouch to planeswalkers or deathtouch to players). Pharika's always had a theme of venom, poison, deathtouch, sacrifice, and death generally, and this stuff seems like a logical extension of that. (Also low key a theme of cures apparently, which hasn't shown up much except in narrative.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”