Project: Online-Capable Un-Set

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 2 years ago

I think that sounds really cool honestly.

Edit: After much deliberation, my personal favorite idea is more or less Spooky Carnival World. It's got games, it's got contraptions, non-scifi, a unique tone, is silly, doesn't borrow too heavily from any one particular source. Seems to fit to me.

One thing I just noticed though
void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
What I was thinking of was an actual Magic plane using a concept that would simply never be usable in black-border.
Can you clarify this a bit?
Does "Spooky Mirrodin" qualify? How would you take a black border plane and make it a silver-border set? Aren't the two exclusive?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

Pygyzy wrote:
2 years ago
Can you clarify this a bit?
Does "Spooky Mirrodin" qualify? How would you take a black border plane and make it a silver-border set? Aren't the two exclusive?
Maybe I wasn't clear: I didn't mean an existing plane. I mean a new setting with everything any existing or custom plane would have (a flavor identity, lore, characters, and story hooks). Just, a concept and flavor that would be antithetical to Magic's canon somehow.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Maybe I wasn't clear: I didn't mean an existing plane. I mean a new setting with everything any existing or custom plane would have (a flavor identity, lore, characters, and story hooks). Just, a concept and flavor that would be antithetical to Magic's canon somehow.
Here's a thought; alien invasion of a fantasy world? Like cheesy B-movie UFO's and Martian Invasion (ur?), Body Snatchers (ug?), Xenomorph-type parasites (definitely bg) invading a fantasy world with wizards and dragons and stuff. Maybe have multiple alien factions competing against each other to invade not-Dominaria first.

Nothing too sci-fi, mostly schlocky stuff? A mad science sort of vibe?

Brainwashing
Cloning Pod
Disintegration Beam
Alien Hatching
Widespread Invasion
Brood-Queen Alien
Brainy Martian
Poorly-Disguised Infiltrator
Bug-Eyed Monster (BEM)
Little Green Men
Area 47
Flying Saucer
Meteor-Born Ooze
Citywide Panic
Parasite Oviposition
UFO Abduction
Cattle Mutilation
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Here's a thought; alien invasion of a fantasy world? Like cheesy B-movie UFO's and Martian Invasion (ur?), Body Snatchers (ug?), Xenomorph-type parasites (definitely bg) invading a fantasy world with wizards and dragons and stuff. Maybe have multiple alien factions competing against each other to invade not-Dominaria first.
That actually sounds pretty fun: Given the mad science aesthetic that's shared I think that if we did this it could be set on a rural backwater part of Bablovia. WB the spooky CIA KGB Men in Black and RW... broad Klingon/Jaffa/Krogan parodies?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sporegorger_Dragon

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
That actually sounds pretty fun: Given the mad science aesthetic that's shared I think that if we did this it could be set on a rural backwater part of Bablovia. WB the spooky CIA KGB Men in Black and RW... broad Klingon/Jaffa/Krogan parodies?
If we're going with Bablovia, would we want to involve the original five factions? It would be interesting to see allied colored pairs vs enemy colored pairs, perhaps adding "allied matters" and "enemy matters" mechanics to denote the two side?

In which case the last two enemy pairs should be invaders. Klingon/Predator/Krogan analoge seems about right for rw, while wb could be killbots (ha!) dedicated to wiping out organic life because living beings are a scourge and plague, but they keep tripping themselves up on what exactly does it mean to be alive?

However, if we exclude the original five factions, then the last two factions should be defenders of Bablovia. The Men in Black (Guys in Grey?) can be wb, as you suggested, with their black ops and everything and separate branches unknowingly working against each other; they keep capturing and interrogating each other, convinced the other is an infiltrator/mole. And when they do capture aliens, they believe it to be an elaborate cover-up for something far greater ("I'm telling you, we're here to implant our embryos in your fleshy carcas- "LIES! WHO ARE YOU WORKING FOR?").

rw would have to be Bablovian citizens. Perhaps rural farmers and townsfolk harnessing their domesticated dragons, egg-laying/broiler phoenixes, shepherd griffins and dairy lammasu to fight off the invaders, all with a down-to-earth practicality? "Hey looky here Moe, gots me anuther 'un of those brainy green bugeyes! Let's throw it with the others, see if we can milk 'em or somethin'."

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

I see benefits to both angles honestly! Both proposals are funny. If the original factions are involved and we see Mary O'Kill's Dastardly Doom Killbots I think the implication of Killbots being an Ornithopter on Mirrodin sort of thing - literally every culture on every plane will pass up the opportunity to make robots that help out all sapient beings in favor of making little sphere guys only interested in "eliminate fleshlings!" - is beyond funny.

Sporegorger_Dragon

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
I see benefits to both angles honestly! Both proposals are funny. If the original factions are involved and we see Mary O'Kill's Dastardly Doom Killbots I think the implication of Killbots being an Ornithopter on Mirrodin sort of thing - literally every culture on every plane will pass up the opportunity to make robots that help out all sapient beings in favor of making little sphere guys only interested in "eliminate fleshlings!" - is beyond funny.
It would also be hilarious to see each alien faction facing off with it Bablovian counterpart.

wb Killbots being completely confused by the Order of the Widget. Are these cyborgs living creatures or not?!

ur Martians being terrified of the disastrously reckless tactics of the Goblin Explosioneers.

bg Parasites themselves being successfully infiltrated by Agents of S.N.E.A.K., causing chaos in their once-orderly hive structure.

Honorable rw Klingons absolutely appalled at what depths the League of Dastardly Doom will stoop to.

ug Bodysnatchers being completely caught off-guard with the Crossbreed Labs all too eager to capture, study, and even hybridize (?!!!) with them.

Pygyzy

Did someone say Mary O'Kill? I like this idea. A "Dark Bablovia" setting is interesting, has a silly Innistrad vibe to it, which is what my Haunted Carnival World was kind going for, but I worried there wasn't enough design space for a whole set. As a faction tho, it's perfect.

Mary o'kill leading a circus of travelling killbots just fits, so I'd be on board. The idea of a race of carny folk invaders is hilarious. Silly Rakdos essentially. A "Mirrored Set" like shadowmoor is a good idea as well because it allows us a template to work from. This has a real Mars Attacks! feel.

For some reason I've had the idea of a prehistoric race of space invaders bouncing around in my head, like Muraganda if they had ships. Not sure how that would work. Astral Pterodactyls? Not tied to the idea tho. Just a concept I thought I'd share.

One last thing that I had been workshopping was the idea of a "Choose your own adventure" set. Not sure how you would implement that, but it has a retro game vibe to it, and brings to mind a similar feel of, "do you want to join the evil circus or help this odd friendly alien?"

This is a winner for me.

Edit: Body Snatchers controlling a race of prehistoric pod people?

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

2 years ago
I don't think the "special" qualifier here is appropriate. I think it's offensive to imply that it's okay to laugh at a special needs person.
Good point, I'll change it. I was not trying to imply it being special needs, just eccentric.

Edit: Edited.
2 years ago
Here's a thought; alien invasion of a fantasy world?
That is veering very hard into horror rather than the sillyness that is silver border.

Edit: Besides, the whole Alien Invasion thing has been done in black border already. Heck, there was an entire block about it.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

2 years ago
It would also be hilarious to see each alien faction facing off with it Bablovian counterpart.

wb Killbots being completely confused by the Order of the Widget. Are these cyborgs living creatures or not?!

ur Martians being terrified of the disastrously reckless tactics of the Goblin Explosioneers.

bg Parasites themselves being successfully infiltrated by Agents of S.N.E.A.K., causing chaos in their once-orderly hive structure.

Honorable rw Klingons absolutely appalled at what depths the League of Dastardly Doom will stoop to.

ug Bodysnatchers being completely caught off-guard with the Crossbreed Labs all too eager to capture, study, and even hybridize (?!!!) with them.
That makes me think: All ten color pairs represented in a set seems like too many, mechanically speaking. But, I still want, as I said, Limited playability - so I think it behooves us to do something where the five enemy pairs can be built in two ways in Draft.

What if, then, each pairing encompasses both one group of invaders and one of defenders? That way, we could use all of the faction ideas, all of which are funny (I'd hate to give up either the confused philosophical Killbots or the Guys in Gray for WB for example), and tie back to Unstable: the native factions could all be the rural branches of the original five, with divergent color identities. For example, S.N.E.A.K. could correspond to their "satellite office" the Guys in Gray.

Sporegorger_Dragon

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
What if, then, each pairing encompasses both one group of invaders and one of defenders? That way, we could use all of the faction ideas, all of which are funny (I'd hate to give up either the confused philosophical Killbots or the Guys in Gray for WB for example), and tie back to Unstable: the native factions could all be the rural branches of the original five, with divergent color identities. For example, S.N.E.A.K. could correspond to their "satellite office" the Guys in Gray.
Do you mean like this? These are just suggestions:

wb: The Killbots and Guys in Grey (S.N.E.A.K. branch office)

ur: Martians and Explosioneers R&D division (testing division of new inventions, possibly Contraptions-focused?)

bg: Parasites and Mook Camp (Dastardly Doom minion farm). Token theme?

rw: Klingons and Gadget Mines (suppliers of raw materials for Order of Widget, composed mostly of dwarves and robots)

ug: Bodysnatcher/Pod People and the Crossbreed Greenhouses (botanic division of Crossbreed labs?)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Something along those lines, yeah! I like how this is developing so I may soon close this thread and start a new one in Custom Set Creation.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

We should probably name them something else than Klingons though, but it could work.

Edit: I just want to make it clear that I am still apprehensive of the "alien invasion" theme, but it can be done. Particularly if we go really retro-futuristic on it. I am talking War of the Worlds/Jules Verne levels of retro-futuristic. But yeah, I do think it'll be possible, good, and fun. (And besides, we can still throw in some really silly stuff as well, just for fun, much like was done in Unstable.)

Edit2, Electric Boogaloo: I realized I hadn't close a parenthesis, my bad.
Last edited by Krishnath 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Something along those lines, yeah! I like how this is developing so I may soon close this thread and start a new one in Custom Set Creation.
Should we settle on a set name and tag line? Spitballing:

Unreal

"It's out of this world."

Also, before starting set thread, will it be for 1v1 or multiplayer/commander?
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Legend wrote:
2 years ago
Also, before starting set thread, will it be for 1v1 or multiplayer/commander?
Insert "why not both" meme here.

Pygyzy

Was thinking of a way to put an Un spin on alien invasion. What if instead of invasion we say something like "Due to a mix up, this set in its entirety mysteriously vanished, And then everyone forgot about it. Now it's somehow showing up inside an already printed set, seemingly on it's own. But that can't happen, right?"

Gives it a vibe of "This set is really alive and it's trying to literally replace other Un-sets." Did Wotc know and they covered it up? Were they cursed by Witches of the Coast? Is it literally aliens?

This way you could call it something like

Un-[REDACTED] The set THEY don't want you to know about.
Or Un-Covered The Truth Is In Here.
Or Un-Released Mysteries of the Un. EXPLAINED!
Un-Classified I'm Not Saying It's Aliens, But...

Edit: more catch lines

The truth is way, way out there.
Just a normal, not suspicious at all card game
Welcome your new cardboard overlords.
If you see these cards, RUN!
Take me to your commander.
Come closer... closer... a little more... more... keep going... almost there... perfect.
You have to do what the cards tell you to do... or else.
If you're reading this, it's already too late.

Edit: Found an old body snatcher card I made, but reskinned it to fit the set.

Cows in Wolves Clothing 1ug
Creature — Boanthrope (This an actual term for a were cow. Seriously)
A deck may contain any number of cards named Cows in Wolves Clothing.
Herd (This creature gets +1/+1 for each other creature you control with herd that is touching it.)
If you control five nontoken creatures named Cows in Wolves Clothing, transform them all.
1/2
//
Invasion of the Bovine Snatchers!
Enchantment - Invasion!
As this transforms, it invades. (Mutate with non-mutant instead of non-human restriction and only onto creatures you don't control)
As this transforms, if it's not invading, it becomes Incomprehensible!, a 5/5 colorless Mutant Vampire Cow.
You control invaded creature.
Invaded creature gets +5/+5.

Also WR Sounds like it could include conspiracy theorists as part of its theme IMO.
Last edited by Pygyzy 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Just a stupid black card for a stupid mechanic I thought up for this set.

Sewer Gator 3BB
Creature - Crocodile (U)
Ambush 2BB (You may cast this creature as an instant during an opponents combat step before blockers are declared. If you do, it blocks a random attacking creature.)
5/3

Rules clarification if you don't get why it is silver bordered: It doesn't have to block a creature attacking you. Even if your opponent is attacking another player with all their attackers, you can still cast this and a randomly chosen attacking creature becomes blocked by it.

As I said, it is a very stupid card and a very stupid(ly fun) mechanic.

Pygyzy

I like it. I think now would be a good time to start brainstorming mechanics.

Ambush (You may cast this creature as an instant for its ambush cost during an opponents combat step before blockers are declared. If you do, it blocks a random attacking creature.)
Herd (To herd, move a creature you control touching this creature and no other permanents. Those creatures get +1/+1 for each other creature in it's herd. Herd only as a sorcery.)
Invade (To invade, put this permanent under target non-Mutant creature you don't own. They're invading the creature on top and also has all text boxes underneath.)
Obvious (You may cast this card from your library if it's obviously on top.)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

We should probably also brainstorm card names (but not what they do). So we can hit those classic turn of the (last) century tropes, and still do it in a funny way.

Of course, one card we absolutely must create is: Tripod (or Tripod Walker). Wouldn't really be an "alien invasion" without it.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

This is stupid, but whatever.

Space Monkey (Common)
g
Creature - Monkey
3/2
Whenever this creature attacks, it enters orbit. (At the beginning of your end step, the opponent to your left gains control of all orbital permanents you control.)

Planet X (Mythic)
Land - Planet
2, t: Add c for each instance of "X" in the text boxes of permanents you control. Planet X enters orbit. (At the beginning of your end step, the opponent to your left gains control of all orbital permanents you control.)
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Legend wrote:
2 years ago
This is stupid, but whatever.
Well, it's an un-set, so stupid is fine. Particularly if it is funny, and Orbit is pretty damn funny.

Also, because of Orbit.

Re-entry 2RR
Sorcery (R)
Tap all permanents you own that are under the control of another player. Then gain control of all your permanents.

Pygyzy

Good idea.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Brainiac Storm
Suddenly Tentacles
Otherworldly Dinner Party
Human Suit
Disintegrate in Peace
Maroon
Surrender!
March of the Killbots
Transcranial Manipulator (TM)
T.H.E.Y.
Huh?
Also should think of new and existing creature types for the set

Spider Construct
Ape Scientist
Lobster Leviathan
Giant Human Child
Cow Human
Gremlin
Moonfolk
Tentacle

New types
Gormungander
Impersonator
Cryptoid
Insectoid

Edit: I lol'd at space monkey.

Blast Off! r
Sorcery
Target creature enters orbit until it returns under it's owner's control.

Flying Ceaser BG
Artifact Creature - Food Mutant
Flying, foodwalk
Devour food 2
Flying Ceaser can devour food you don't control.
(Food Text)
"We lost 'em, sir. Nothing left but shredded romaines."
1/1
Last edited by Pygyzy 2 years ago, edited 7 times in total.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Pygyzy wrote:
2 years ago
Tentacle
Tentacle is already a creature type, there is a Kraken that makes Tentacle creature tokens.

Edit: Also, Child should totally be a creature type we use. Can't have a proper alien invasion without children being involved in some way.

Also, we definitely need at least one Hamster.

Pygyzy

Laser-Guided Super-Hamster R
Creature - Hamster Demigod
Faster than light (As this creature enters the battlefield or instead of it attacking, an opponent of your choice gains control of it and it deals damage equal to it's power to that player.)
Whenever another permanent enters orbit, Laser-Guided Super-Hamster also enters orbit.
2/1

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Trained Attack Hamster (A.k.a. Boo) W
Creature - Hamster (C)
Vigilance
When Trained Attack Hamster is declared as an attacker, roll a six-sided die. On a 5 or 6, Trained Attack Hamster gets +1/+1, double strike, and trample until end of turn.
"Vicious little beastie, ain't she?"
1/1

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”