Overpowered Krakens!!!

WizardMN
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 2 years ago

If you want, this site has some good BBCode for Custom Card Creation. For example:
Deathcoil Kraken
5BB
Creature - Kraken
At beginning of each opponents' main phase, that player sacrifices all the tapped creatures they control
6/6

Now, onto the card: I don't see a mana cost for any of these and that would be pretty important to gauge their power. And the first Kraken will basically never do anything. What purpose does sacrificing tapped creatures in the precombat main phase serve? Why not make them sac them at the end step or postcombat main phase?

I don't see any major issues with the rest though some of that comes down to the mana cost. The only thing I would suggest is finding a different wording for Shipwrecker Kraken. "At the beginning of your upkeep, put X Tentacle counters on ~ where X is 4 minus the number of tentacle counters it has". Something like that. It plays a little nicer with things like Doubling Season without being too unintuitive.

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 2 years ago

WizardMN wrote:
2 years ago
Now, onto the card: I don't see a mana cost for any of these and that would be pretty important to gauge their power. And the first Kraken will basically never do anything. What purpose does sacrificing tapped creatures in the precombat main phase serve? Why not make them sac them at the end step or postcombat main phase?
It just says "main phase" which would mean it triggers at the beginning of each main phase, not just the first one.

That makes it similar to Dread, but also catches mana dorks and the like, but misses vigilance creatures, and I would put it's cost similar to Dread as a result.

The issue I see is with Flooding Kraken, which would bounce itself and all of your other non-vigilance attacking creatures whenever it attacks. I assume that's not intentional, but it makes determining an appropriate mana cost almost impossible.

The remaining one, Shipwrecker Kraken, is quite potent, and a clever way to accomplish tapping four targets per turn cycle without having to choose them all at once. Oddly, and I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, since the initial trigger is at "four or less," and the repeat is at "four or more" if you begin your upkeep with four tentacles, the ability still gives you one more Tentacle, for a total of five, which is an interesting reward for not having used them since the previous turn, slightly strengthening your position against future threats. But if you used any Tentacles, is only refills to four.

Herald of the Depths appears to be unfinished. Also, I wonder if mana symbols simply didn't post for some reason? There is a hanging comma in the Shipwrecker's second ability that would appear to be a break between a mana cost and the rest of the cost.

WizardMN

Post by WizardMN » 2 years ago

Ah, I missed that. I thought it said "first" for some reason. Still seems like an odd point to trigger for the reasons I mentioned. People can just wait until the second main phase for dorks. It seems like it would be better to just do it in the end step.

I agree on the comments about Flooding Kraken as well.

Regarding Shipwrecker: To be honest, that might be another reason to use the wording (or something similar) to just cap it at 4. To say "four" twice and still allow for 5 without any outside influence seems weird. It is not overpowered and doesn't hit against any rules issues. It just seems weird. If it is intentional though, there isn't a huge reason to go against it as it does allow for some "storage" of the counters similar to Coalition Relic.

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

And now the OP has been deleted, how strange.

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

I'm going to take this opportunity to drop my own spin:

The Grasping Deep 4UUUU
Legendary Creature - Elder Kraken (M)
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control less than four Tentacles, create two 1/1 blue Tentacle creature tokens.
U, Sacrifice a Tentacle: Target creature phases out.
7/7

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

JovialJovian wrote:
2 years ago
And now the OP has been deleted, how strange.
It was from a copy-paste spammer. Content stolen from our very own Krishnath in fact.
So this is now free to be your Kraken thread.

The Grasping Deep - Not sure as to why the numbers are what they are; I'm assuming it has four tentacles surfacing at any given time, that's the idea? I do like the use of phasing out as a blink alternative. Overall the costs look fair, maybe even a bit conservative (although phasing out a bunch of opposing creatures at once is easy blowout fuel).
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

The numbers are based on the numbers from the OP. Plus, as I adapted it to use Tentacle create tokens rather than counters, I didn't want the number to go overboard. Same factor in making it legendary, to limit the number of targets that can be pulled under at once.

The cost is a tad high, but I did that intentionally since it can phase itself out to dodge basically anything, representing a "dive down" type of mechanic. Relates to Pearl Lake Ancient and Nezahal, Primal Tide in that way.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”