Faction Leaders

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 2 years ago

Working on my unset again. I never did the faction leaders.

Ol' McDonald, Law of the Farm
Legendary Creature - Dog Farmer Officer
Ol' McDonald, Law of the Farm has hexproof unless a player is eating food.
Cat, Dog, and Wolf creatures you control have, "T, Growl: Regenerate target farm animal." (Ox, Bird, Boar, Goat, and Fish are farm animals.)
: Farm animals you control dominate. (Put a +1/+1 counter on your farm animals if you dealt combat damage to an opponent during your last combat.)
4/4

The Three-Eyed Were-Chicken
Legendary Creature - Bird
The "legend rule" doesn't apply to creatures named The Three-Eyed Were-Chicken.
As long as you control two other nonsense creatures, this creature has indestructible. (A creature is nonsense if a player can't reasonably explain it in three sentences.)
Each creature you control with more than one face has the combined qualities of each of it's other faces that are a creature.
Each creature you control with more than one face has this face, in addition to it's other faces.
1/1
//
Legendary Creature - Human
As long as you control two other nonsense creatures, this creature has vigilance. (A creature is nonsense if a player can't reasonably explain it in three sentences.)
Each creature you control with more than one face has the combined qualities of each of it's other faces that are a creature.
Each creature you control with more than one face has this face, in addition to it's other faces.
1/1
//
Legendary Creature - Wolf
As long as you control two other nonsense creatures, this creature has trample. (A creature is nonsense if a player can't reasonably explain it in three sentences.)
1/1

Una Pologetic
Legendary Creature - Demon Angel Sphinx
Una Pologetic has flash and split second if an opponent made a game play error this turn.
Opponents may rewind game play errors if they say, "Sorry.".
Whenever an opponent says, "Sorry.", they lose 2 life and you gain 2 life.
: You may have up to one target spell retroactively cost 1 more to cast, as it's costs were being paid.
5/7

Jake the Snake
Legendary Creature - Snake Scientist Spy
Jake the Snake has deathtouch as long as you won a minigame this turn. (A minigame is any game of chance defined in the rules. For example, flipping a coin.)
When Jake the Snake enters the battlefield, play a minigame of your choice.
At the beginning of your combat, you may play a minigame of your choice. If you win, create a 1/1 green Snake Scientist Spy creature token with deathtouch for each minigame you won this turn.
5/5

Pygyzy, Danger to Sanity
Legendary Creature - Horse Hippo Dinosaur
Pygyzy, Danger to Sanity has protection from wordy as long as your hair length reaches your shoulders.
All targets are chosen at random.
Whenever a player casts a spell with one or more targets, each player in turn order may choose to flip a coin. If they win, they may reselect that spell's targets. If they lose, another player of their choice may reselect that spell's targets.
8/4
Last edited by Pygyzy 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Wow, you certainly came back with a bang!

I really like The Three-Eyed Were-Chicken; it's basically a triple-faced 1/1 creature that is always a Bird Human Wolf, right? But is there an error, since all three sides are identical except for type?

I assume you intended for each side to grant a different bonus but forgot to change from indestructible while copy-pasting? I trample and vigilance are the other two keywords.

How would a DFC works if each side had a different power and toughness? Would it be like mana costs on a split card and the p/t will be combined?

My personal favorite of this bunch is Jake the Snake; tokens and mini-games!

Regarding Pygyzy the card's, presumably it goes like this?
1-Spell is cast, target is selected randomly, but does not resolve yet (priority is not passed yet).
2-Next player in turn order makes choice; flip a coin or not.
3-If they don't, choice moves on to next player.
4-If nobody flips a coin and it comes back to caster, they still have priority and can now respond with more spells/abilities or pass priority.
5-If a player does choose to flip a coin then:
6-If they win, they can reslect the target.
7-If they lose, they select a different player, who can reslect the target if they so choose.
8-This 2nd player doesn't flip a coin.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Pygyzy

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Wow, you certainly came back with a bang!

I really like The Three-Eyed Were-Chicken; it's basically a triple-faced 1/1 creature that is always a Bird Human Wolf, right? But is there an error, since all three sides are identical except for type?

I assume you intended for each side to grant a different bonus but forgot to change from indestructible while copy-pasting? I trample and vigilance are the other two keywords.
Thanks! I really like it too and yes you have it right. I actually didn't even think about changing the ability but that's a great idea so I'm gonna use it. It was actually a last minute change to separate the three creature types because I wasn't sure if it was grokable enough. I think it helped.
How would a DFC works if each side had a different power and toughness? Would it be like mana costs on a split card and the p/t will be combined?
I think that's how it functions yes but I'm not 100%. Because The Three-Eyed Were-Chicken should be a 3/3, since it's all the faces simultaneously. So its mana cost would be 18 on the battlefield. =D
My personal favorite of this bunch is Jake the Snake; tokens and mini-games!
Thanks. I love minigames too. Jake was the last I made and I was having a hard time until I remembered what the faction was all about and he pretty much just came together.
Regarding Pygyzy the card's, presumably it goes like this?
1-Spell is cast, target is selected randomly, but does not resolve yet (priority is not passed yet).
2-Next player in turn order makes choice; flip a coin or not.
3-If they don't, choice moves on to next player.
4-If nobody flips a coin and it comes back to caster, they still have priority and can now respond with more spells/abilities or pass priority.
5-If a player does choose to flip a coin then:
6-If they win, they can reslect the target.
7-If they lose, they select a different player, who can reslect the target if they so choose.
8-This 2nd player doesn't flip a coin.
Yes exactly. This card is designed for me and does everything I love. There's so many different ways to play it and really I just wanna see what mayhem it could cause.
The way I'd play it is by not worrying that my spells are random and letting the opponents fight amongst themselves trying to resolve spells against each other.

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Pygyzy wrote:
2 years ago
I think that's how it functions yes but I'm not 100%. Because The Three-Eyed Were-Chicken should be a 3/3, since it's all the faces simultaneously. So its mana cost would be 18 on the battlefield. =D
Ah, you misunderstood my question

I had initially interpreted that the 3IDWereChkn would just be a 1/1, but apparently not, instead it combines the power/toughness from all three sides.

So I was wondering how would it work with something like Delver of Secrets, but now it's clear Delver becomes a 4/3 flyer named Delver of Secrets Insectile Aberration The Three-Eyed Were-Chicken.

But doesn't that cause problems of it own?

If I understand it correctly, the last ability grants other DFCs all three faces of the Were-Chicken, including its keyword bonus and giving +3/+3. So the Delver example becomes a 7/6 flyer that can potentially have trample, indestructible, and vigilance.

But doesn't that last ability make each DFC creature "nonsense"? So if I control Were-Chicken and two Delvers, doesn't that immediately activate the bonuses on all three sides for all three creatures?
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

Pygyzy wrote:
2 years ago
Jake the Snake
Jake the Snake has deathtouch as long as you won a minigame this turn. (A minigame is any game of chance defined in the rules. For example, flipping a coin.)
At the beginning of your combat, you may play a minigame of your choice. If you win, create a 1/1 green Snake Scientist Spy creature token with deathtouch for each minigame you won this turn.
5/5
So I don't have much to say about these designs, but I do want to point out: this is contrary to what a minigame is in MTG slang. When people reference minigames in the context of MTG, they're often talking about Hangman, Choice of Damnations, Cramped Bunker, Liar's Pendulum, Master of Predicaments, etc. Lots of these aren't games of chance. In fact, many coin flip cards or dice roll cards are not considered minigames at all.

There's also an issue that if I just get to pick an arbitraryminigame of my choice, I can pick out whatever minigame I like that's astronomically favorable to me: Roll two dice and expect the result is greater than one (that's a 97% chance). Check if I randomly get an island from a pile of 59 islands and one mountain. Oh look, I won.

I suggest have Jake the Snake care about "games of chance" (defined as dice, coin flips, and guessing correctly) and have him actually prompt you to do a specific game of chance: "When Jake enters the battlefield, flip a coin." "At the beginning of combat on your turn, flip a coin." This means you've defined specific parameters for gameplay and I'm not enabled basically to choose a rigged game. It also means "game of chance" is a bounded list, so that I can actually tell for certainty whether I just played a game of chance or not. It leaves out some hard-to-define choices, but the payoff is determinate gameplay, which is what the MTG rules are aiming to create.

Pygyzy

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Pygyzy wrote:
2 years ago
Ah, you misunderstood my question

I had initially interpreted that the 3IDWereChkn would just be a 1/1, but apparently not, instead it combines the power/toughness from all three sides.

So I was wondering how would it work with something like Delver of Secrets, but now it's clear Delver becomes a 4/3 flyer named Delver of Secrets Insectile Aberration The Three-Eyed Were-Chicken.

But doesn't that cause problems of it own?

If I understand it correctly, the last ability grants other DFCs all three faces of the Were-Chicken, including its keyword bonus and giving +3/+3. So the Delver example becomes a 7/6 flyer that can potentially have trample, indestructible, and vigilance.

But doesn't that last ability make each DFC creature "nonsense"? So if I control Were-Chicken and two Delvers, doesn't that immediately activate the bonuses on all three sides for all three creatures?
Controlling at least two other DFC creatures would make them all nonsense yes. I think that's fair although powerful.
spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
Pygyzy wrote:
2 years ago
Jake the Snake
5/5
So I don't have much to say about these designs, but I do want to point out: this is contrary to what a minigame is in MTG slang. When people reference minigames in the context of MTG, they're often talking about Hangman, Choice of Damnations, Cramped Bunker, Liar's Pendulum, Master of Predicaments, etc. Lots of these aren't games of chance. In fact, many coin flip cards or dice roll cards are not considered minigames at all.

There's also an issue that if I just get to pick an arbitraryminigame of my choice, I can pick out whatever minigame I like that's astronomically favorable to me: Roll two dice and expect the result is greater than one (that's a 97% chance). Check if I randomly get an island from a pile of 59 islands and one mountain. Oh look, I won.

I suggest have Jake the Snake care about "games of chance" (defined as dice, coin flips, and guessing correctly) and have him actually prompt you to do a specific game of chance: "When Jake enters the battlefield, flip a coin." "At the beginning of combat on your turn, flip a coin." This means you've defined specific parameters for gameplay and I'm not enabled basically to choose a rigged game. It also means "game of chance" is a bounded list, so that I can actually tell for certainty whether I just played a game of chance or not. It leaves out some hard-to-define choices, but the payoff is determinate gameplay, which is what the MTG rules are aiming to create.
Ah I see thank you. I will fix that.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”