a mechanic I thought up

dangerousdice
Pronoun: he / him

Post by dangerousdice » 3 years ago

just a mechanic I thought up. thoughts, ideas?

karfian lurker [1][b.]
creature - human warlock
karfian lurker gets +2/-1 and is a wolf in addition to it's other types as long as it is night. (it's day as long as the player with the highest life total is the active player. otherwise, it is night.)
2/2

sunrise paladin [2][w.]
creature - human knight
vigilance
as long as it is day, other creatures you control have vigilance. (it's day as long as the player with the highest life total is the active player. otherwise, it is night.)
2/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

The day/night mechanic is something that custom designers have been trying out for a loooong time - first time I saw it was I think by PlanesJayWalker on MTGNews - but this is a pretty interactive and intuitive way of doing it. Odd things to watch out for include the possibility of changing from one to the other in the middle of a turn and the guarantee of it switching at least once per turn cycle as long as players don't have equal life totals.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 3 years ago

I'd consider changing it to "It's day as long as the active player had the highest life total at the beginning of the turn." to counteract changing the state in the middle of a turn, but otherwise this is definitely already one of the more intuitive ideas to tackle the day/night flavor.

Weird implications for shared turns (i. e. players doubting themselves, but can be entirely well-defined in the rules). What doesn't have those, though?

The main problem I see is the tension of playing a day-deck vs. a night-deck and the fact that day-decks basically are "winning more" or "losing more". I'm not convinced by the game play implications.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”