I need advice for my set!

dangerousdice
Pronoun: he / him

Post by dangerousdice » 3 years ago

------------------------------------------------------------------
a world oversaturated with mana, to the point of the surface is uninhabitable...

--
the surface's curse - [5] - enchantment -
if a player would tap a land, add a additional 2 mana for every color that land could produce.
if mana would empty from a player's mana pool, ~ deals X damage to you, were X is the amount of mana emptied.
at the beginning of a player's endstep, ~ deals 3 damage to that player for each untapped land you control.
--

all living things migrated underground, establishing new hierarchies...

--
arcos, king of the Undermountain - [4][r] - 5/5 - dragon king -
Overseer (Whenever another creature with power less than this creature's comes into play, you may have it become overseen by this creature).
haste, flying
when ~ enters the battlefield, it oversees all kobolds.
creatures overseen by ~ are dragons in addition to their other types, and have flying and [r]: ~ gets +1/+0 until the end of the turn.
[r]: ~ gets +1/+0 until the end of the turn.
--

over time, mining became more and more important as the population rose...

--
rapid pickaxer - [3][r] - 2/2 - dwarf miner -
when ~ enters the battlefield, mine 2 (to mine 2, exile the top 2 cards of your library with a mined counter on it)
if you have 4 or more mined cards, ~ has first strike.
--
processed elemental - [x][w][r] - 0/1 - elemental -
when ~ enters the battlefield, mine X.
~ gets +1/+1 for each mined card in exile.
[made of processed power]
--

and many forgot the surface as anything but a deathtrap, but not all....

--
arcalyn, priest of the surface - [r] - 2/2 - elf warlock -
when ~ enters the battlefield, create 2 1/1 blue black red elf warlock tokens.
sacrifice a creature, [t]: deal X damage to target player, were X is how many colors it was.
[spacious skies! towering mountains! sprawling forests! we must return to the surface!]
--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
so... ideas, thoughts, critiques?

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

You can find plenty of other custom-built sets (at all stages of development) in the Custom Sets subforum. I'd suggest looking at some of those for ideas on how to present your set. There's kind of a template many use, based on how new blocks are usually unveiled at the official Magic: The Gathering webpage, but you don't need to follow that. You've already got a lot of the basics down!

Double-check the BBCodes that are used on the forum -- I think the Elf Warlock at the end of your post is meant to cost UBR, but you use [ u ], which the forums read as "underline", and [ b ], which the forums read as "bold typeface."

An overabundance of mana is a cool idea for a set. How does it affect casting spells? How do each of the different colors react to this environment? (I think green would be really happy, since it has creatures like Omnath, Locus of Mana.)

Overseer creates some nice interactions between creatures. Like soulbond, I would wonder if it creates some memory issues. Would it change much if only the creature with the greatest power oversaw other creatures?

Mining is pretty neat. You trade the possibility of cards in your library for a less diverse resource. It works well with scry, and it kind of resembles manifest. I would work a little on the exact interactions -- the Processed Elemental, for example, doesn't need to mine any cards, since it can rely on Rabid Pickaxer to mine cards for it. That suggests players would work toward getting a significant pool of mined cards -- five or six might do the trick -- and then not need to mine any more. Is that how you intend for it to work?

dangerousdice

Post by dangerousdice » 3 years ago

OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
You can find plenty of other custom-built sets (at all stages of development) in the Custom Sets subforum. I'd suggest looking at some of those for ideas on how to present your set. There's kind of a template many use, based on how new blocks are usually unveiled at the official Magic: The Gathering webpage, but you don't need to follow that. You've already got a lot of the basics down!

Double-check the BBCodes that are used on the forum -- I think the Elf Warlock at the end of your post is meant to cost UBR, but you use [ u ], which the forums read as "underline", and [ b ], which the forums read as "bold typeface."

An overabundance of mana is a cool idea for a set. How does it affect casting spells? How do each of the different colors react to this environment? (I think green would be really happy, since it has creatures like Omnath, Locus of Mana.)

Overseer creates some nice interactions between creatures. Like soulbond, I would wonder if it creates some memory issues. Would it change much if only the creature with the greatest power oversaw other creatures?

Mining is pretty neat. You trade the possibility of cards in your library for a less diverse resource. It works well with scry, and it kind of resembles manifest. I would work a little on the exact interactions -- the Processed Elemental, for example, doesn't need to mine any cards, since it can rely on Rabid Pickaxer to mine cards for it. That suggests players would work toward getting a significant pool of mined cards -- five or six might do the trick -- and then not need to mine any more. Is that how you intend for it to work?

with mining, I planning to have a few cards that remove mined counters for a greater effect.

yeah I was unaware that my normal way of writing cards causes a jumbled mess of symbols.

overseer is from this mtgsalvation thread: https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/mag ... c-overseer

im thinking about having something along the lines of multikicker, but I need to refine the idea.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”