White Haste'o'gilance

Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Aura of Tenacity 1
Enchantment — Aura (R)
Enchant creature you control
At the beginning of the declare attackers step on your turn, exile enchanted creature, then return it to the battlefield tapped and attacking. Attach Aura of Tenacity 1 to that creature.

Aura of Tenacity 2
Enchantment — Aura (R)
Enchant creature
At the beginning of the declare attackers step on enchanted creature's controler's turn, exile enchanted creature, then return it to the battlefield tapped and attacking. Attach Aura of Tenacity 2 to that creature.

Now, few questions.
First, regarding each version in seperate, could this effect be mono-white? Or does it have to be Boros? Could it be Azorius?
Next, what are the possible uses - and ofcourse, if there is anything broken - with this tech? It is neither haste nor vigilance, not in a strict sense at least.
Is it costed reasonably?
And finally, is it even worth playing with such design space?

Candlemane

Post by Candlemane » 3 years ago

I like the idea. Here's what I see about it.

I want to address first that none of those creatures would be declared as attackers because of the aura's ability, so I like that aspect can balance the design space, leading to a lot less possible abuse there

I feel like they shouldn't be auras. Auras are flavorfully white, but do have major down sides. This is just a feeling on it, because enchantments do have some interesting space here with constellation, but I think the safer bet would be on a creature. Both seem like they could co-exist fine though, like the legendary creature grants it's ability to something else.

Mono-White should be a fine place for these. Boros prefers on-hit and when attacks effects, and Azorius isn't really one for aggression. I also enjoy the fact that they don't auto-switch to another creature, further saving them from being abused. That clause could be used on another more powerful version maybe.

Overall I like the direction of these. Seems nicely balanced.

Edit for last question: I think this design space isn't necessarily worth playing with without some tweaks, but I say this in the lens of playing only commander. I will say however for a limited format or even a set, this could see a nice usage if it has support in the set it is in.
Paper EDH

Tameshi, Reality Architect
Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor
Thalia and Gitrog
Xryis, the Writhing Storm

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 3 years ago

There is a problem with these, and it isn't trying to get haste but totally not calling it haste. These are flicker engines. And simply as flicker engines, they are too cheap. Because flickering is the stronger of the mechanics being enabled here it has to be costed by that mechanic making it a very expensive "totally not haste".

That said, on a creature, it could be reasonable. Otherwise, cost it as a flicker effect and make it unbound from a creature.

Emergency Deployment 2ww
Enchantment
At the beginning of your declare attackers step, exile target creature you control. Then, return it to the battlefield tapped and attacking.

This might actually be really good and be forced to cost 5CMC.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

There are three things that I now see as being enabled by this effect. First is obviously flicker, which is problematic. The second one is pseudo-haste, as this ignores summoning sickness. And lastly, it both protects against tapping and allows usage of activated abilities with tapping as a cost and still attacking. And I like those two. So to pass around ETB problems, could this work instead?

Aura of Tenacity A
Enchantment — Aura (R)
Enchant creature you control
At the beginning of the declare attackers step on your turn, enchanted creature phases out, then phases in tapped and attacking.

Aura of Tenacity B
Enchantment — Aura (R)
Enchant creature
At the beginning of the declare attackers step on enchanted creature's controler's turn, enchanted creature phases out, then phases in tapped and attacking.

I am still not sure, if the second one could be in white. And ofcourse a question: if the phasing can work this way?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”