So, I had a thought, and would like some imput (Zombie Plague)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Basically, my thought was a card representing the Zombie Plague trope.

Zombie Plague 1BBB
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a nonzombie, nontoken creature dies, create a tapped 2/2 black Zombie creature token.
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Original version:

Zombie Plague 2BB
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a nonzombie, nontoken creature dies, create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token.
Pretty simple, right? Not entirely certain on the CC or rarity though.

Thoughts? Comments? Constructive Criticism? Critique? As always, any feedback would be welcome.

Edit: Better? Or still to good?
Last edited by Krishnath 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

caulkwrangler
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by caulkwrangler » 3 years ago

Love the card, it captures the Night of the Living Dead scenario very well. My thoughts are the Zombies should enter tapped, and the cost should be BBBB. Maybe it could be legendary? Good stuff, glad you shared.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Sure - this could be a core set card. It's strong for sure but doesn't support Zombie tribal as the obvious point of comparison Open the Graves does.

I agree that heavier black in the cost and tapped tokens is best.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

You both raise very good points, as it is written, it'll give you a massive advantage if you cast a mass removal spell and have a way to give the tokens haste. I'll edit.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

The current version looks much safer; still GOOD though.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Well, it is rare, and I've always felt that rare cards should be good, but not broken. Maybe I should up the cost to 2BBB?

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Well, it is rare, and I've always felt that rare cards should be good, but not broken. Maybe I should up the cost to 2BBB?
I think it would be an overkill. Open the Graves is at the same mana, but with more flexible cost and is much better for Zombie tribal. While pushing for diffrent strategies - your enchantment gives "zombie-trip" to your removal and Open the Graves is more about recursion combos and tribal synergies - I pretty sure there is no other good comparement.

Actually, consider this:

Zombie Plague
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a nonzombie, nontoken creature would die, exile it instead. If you do, create a tapped 2/2 black Zombie creature token.

It would prevent the Plague from devolving towards combo, making it straight up removal pay-off.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
I think it would be an overkill. Open the Graves is at the same mana, but with more flexible cost and is much better for Zombie tribal. While pushing for diffrent strategies - your enchantment gives "zombie-trip" to your removal and Open the Graves is more about recursion combos and tribal synergies - I pretty sure there is no other good comparement.

Actually, consider this:

Zombie Plague
Enchantment (R)
Whenever a nonzombie, nontoken creature would die, exile it instead. If you do, create a tapped 2/2 black Zombie creature token.

It would prevent the Plague from devolving towards combo, making it straight up removal pay-off.
I actually considered an exile clause when I first created the card, to prevent reanimation shenanigans. I am seriously contemplating adding it in, but I'll need to mull it over some more.

Jonas Ukulore
Rowley Birkin, QC fan.

Post by Jonas Ukulore » 3 years ago

I actually considered an exile clause when I first created the card, to prevent reanimation shenanigans. I am seriously contemplating adding it in, but I'll need to mull it over some more.
Also: exiling the critter when making a zombie token prevents it from becoming yet another Blood Artist or Zulaport Cutthroat enabler.
Commanders:
WB Psycho Cultleader BWGU Deranged Boy and Dental Imagination UG
WUB Creepy Girl BUWURG Big Thing GRUWUB Your Deck = My Deck BUW
WG Hatebear Angel GWWBR Bounty-filled Pillowfort RBW

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”