Bluffed Spells

OneAndOnly
Pronoun: he / him

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

Arnath's Piercing Needle --
Instant
Bluff (When this spell is countered, you may play another instant or sorcery from with equal or lower converted mana cost from your hand without paying its mana cost.)
Destroy target artifact or target enchantment, then gain life equal to that card's converted mana cost.

Helim's Tangled Net --
Instant
Bluff (When this spell is countered, you may play another instant or sorcery from with equal or lower converted mana cost from your hand without paying its mana cost.)
Tap or untap up to two target permanents that share a type.

Madok's Cruel Stitch --
Instant
Create a token copy of target creature card in a graveyard, then put two -1/-1 counters on it.

Teev's Warped Tapestry --
Instant
You choose how up to two target creatures attack and/or block this turn.

Liom's Endless Spool --
Instant
Put a +1/+1 counter on up to two target creatures, then you may put a reach counter on each of those creatures.

Does "Bluff" work the way it ought to? Is there a clean way to include "fizzling" in its template?

Also, with "Utility card with set mechanic," is it better to keep the "utility card" portion of it as vanilla as possible (ie, Twiddle versus what Tangled Net currently is)?

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

OneAndOnly wrote:
3 years ago
Does "Bluff" work the way it ought to? Is there a clean way to include "fizzling" in its template?
It seems to work fine—the spell has been countered, but just likes dies triggers, we can look back in time to see "oh, a trigger happened." We'd just have to add this trigger condition to 603.10a: "abilities that trigger on a spell when that spell is countered".

I don't know how to add fizzling to this template. Possibly you could make Bluff have comprehensive rules text of "When this card is put into a graveyard from the stack, if it didn't resolve ...". I am not sure what the most effective reminder text would be.

If this doesn't have fizzling, it would be 100% an anti-Blue mechanic. I'd hesitate to make it a named mechanic in that case and just put the trigger condition literally on some cards that are designed to be anti-Blue. In other words, put it on cards that might otherwise say "This spell can't be countered".

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

"When this spell is countered or has no legal targets..."
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”