Rattle mechanic

Juancu
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Juancu » 3 years ago

Revisiting a Dimir mechanic, now with true Mill technology.

Oppressing Look 1U
Instant
Rattle 1 (Each opponent chooses a number, then mills that many cards. If they mill less than 1 land card this way, they falter.)
Draw a card.
If an opponent faltered this turn, draw an additional card.

Rattle is a mini-game. How many cards are you willing to mill? At the start of the game, probably 4-5 cards. But if the opponent is dedicated mill (or has a lot of Rattle cards) you may be more conservative. After your deck has dwindled considerably, maybe you'll choose 0 cards every time. But then all cards your opponent plays feel overpowered.

Noxious Thief 2B
Creature - Human Rogue (R)
Whenever this creature attacks, rattle 2. (Each opponent chooses a number, then mills that many cards. If they mill less than 2 land cards this way, they falter.)
Whenever an opponent falters, you may pay 1 life. If you do, draw a card.
3/2

user_938036
Answers: 21
Pronoun: he / him

Post by user_938036 » 3 years ago

It sounds like fun but I worry that if the payoff is worse than draw a card the right choice is to always choose 0.

Also, outside of an actual mill deck it might just never really matter.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

This is neat, especially when the cards feed on one another with generalized falter triggers, but I agree this needs full support to make mill a way to win in order for it to matter.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”