Just a little something I cooked up.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

I had an odd thought earlier this morning as I was eating my breakfast (and before you ask, it was oatmeal, can't eat Bavarian Princesses all the time, they're very fattening), WotC have given us a heck of a lot of different counters over these last few years, including ability counters, so I was thinking, what if there was a card that allowed you to move counters between permanents in black border that wasn't limited to the type of counters it could move? And so...

Strange Experimentation 1U
Sorcery (U)
Buyback 2UU
Chose two target permanents that share a type. You may move a counter from one of those permanents to the other.
edit notes
Show
Hide
removed "you control" clause, but upped buyback cost by U to compensate.

I am not entirely sure on the CC, and I may have been too cautious when costing it. I am also not sure it needs to be a sorcery.

As always, thoughts, comments, critiques, and constructive criticism is welcomed.
Last edited by Krishnath 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 3 years ago

Moving a single counter between your own permanents feels very weak. If you are limiting it between your own permanents it should be any number of counters. If you keep it at one counter then moving counters between permanents conotrlled by different players seems reasonable.

Also you want "that share a type" as opposed to "of the same type". It makes it easier as you don't have to match types perfectly so you can move counters from artifact creatures to creatures or artifacts. Techincally it can cause some oddities such as creatures with loyalty counters but that is already very easy to achieve.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

user_938036 wrote:
3 years ago
Moving a single counter between your own permanents feels very weak. If you are limiting it between your own permanents it should be any number of counters. If you keep it at one counter then moving counters between permanents conotrlled by different players seems reasonable.

Also you want "that share a type" as opposed to "of the same type". It makes it easier as you don't have to match types perfectly so you can move counters from artifact creatures to creatures or artifacts. Techincally it can cause some oddities such as creatures with loyalty counters but that is already very easy to achieve.
I limited to permanents you control so it can't be used to "steal" counters from your opponents permanents, or get rid of negative effects from counters by moving them to your opponents permanents (specifically -1/-1 counters and age counters), so that is a balance issue.

I knew the wording was wonky though, so I'll fix that ASAP.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 3 years ago

Krishnath wrote:
3 years ago
user_938036 wrote:
3 years ago

I limited to permanents you control so it can't be used to "steal" counters from your opponents permanents, or get rid of negative effects from counters by moving them to your opponents permanents (specifically -1/-1 counters and age counters), so that is a balance issue.

I knew the wording was wonky though, so I'll fix that ASAP.
I'm aware of the stealing power concept and I think that is a good use for blue moving counters. Green should spread or consolidate its growth and black should flat out remove. By dividing these powers this way it lets 3 colors interact with counters each in different ways that are each at different power levels and can be costed accordingly. I believe 1U is a fair cost for stealing a positive counter or donating a negative counter. While G is the cost of consolidating all of your own counters. 1B is already used to remove 3 counters with added versatility. I can see remove all counters from a target and draw a card at 3CMC.

Obviously all effect's power level is dependant of the format and thus other cards they have access to. If you brought back cumulative upkeep it could prove problematic to shift counters so easily. But you don't hold new design hostage by past bad design.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

user_938036 wrote:
3 years ago
I'm aware of the stealing power concept and I think that is a good use for blue moving counters. Green should spread or consolidate its growth and black should flat out remove. By dividing these powers this way it lets 3 colors interact with counters each in different ways that are each at different power levels and can be costed accordingly. I believe is a fair cost for stealing a positive counter or donating a negative counter. While is the cost of consolidating all of your own counters. is already used to remove 3 counters with added versatility. I can see remove all counters from a target and draw a card at 3CMC.

Obviously all effect's power level is dependant of the format and thus other cards they have access to. If you brought back cumulative upkeep it could prove problematic to shift counters so easily. But you don't hold new design hostage by past bad design.
That is some good and valid points, although I disagree about cumulative upkeep being bad design. Coldsnap touched upon it being used for other than purely negative effects (such as giving you token creatures when you stop paying, or outright giving you mana each turn.)

One of the reasons I limited it to your own permanents was because of the buyback, but as I said, you do have some valid points, and I'll continue to fiddle with it's effect. Going to go and edit it ASAP again, lol.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”