Secret Future

Legend
Aethernaut
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
Futuresight (Your future is an additional card from the top of your library. You may look at your future at any time.)

I could imagine limiting the occasion you can look at your future in a way that reduces both potential for wasting time and cheating, but it would require some creatively written reminder text to keep the text length in check.
I like this mechanic enough to consider riffing it for a sifi themed custom set. As much as I enjoy the original, flavorful rules text, I've opted for an equally brief but more utilitarian version that I believe reduces both the potential for cheating and for wasting time.

Chronoscope (Common)
Artifact
Futuresight (Each upkeep, you may look at an additional card from the top of your library and return them in any order.)
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

It doesn't seem right to say you may look at an additional card when you aren't looking at any to begin with.

It sounds like you reveal N cards once, where N is the number of permanents you control with futuresight, but revealing just one card at a time would not be good.

I think it might need to be something like this:

Futuresight (Each upkeep, you may look at and rearrange a number of cards from the top of your library equal to the number of permanents you control with futuresight. Do this only once.)

... It's hard to find a way to phrase this that doesn't sound like it triggers for every single one though.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 3 years ago

So, if we allow exiling for a duration from zones other than the battelfield such as your library then this could work.

Futuresight(At the beginning of your upkeep exile the top card of your library until your drawstep.)

This should have you exile one card for each card with future sight and allow you to rearrange them before you draw by returning them to your library individually yet simultaneously.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

spacemonaut wrote:
3 years ago
It doesn't seem right to say you may look at an additional card when you aren't looking at any to begin with.
Am I incorrect to think of it as 0+X, where X is the number of permanents with futuresight you control, just worded in a different way?
user_938036 wrote:
3 years ago
Futuresight(At the beginning of your upkeep exile the top card of your library until your drawstep.)
I appreciate the elegance but wouldn't want a version where players could see each others' cards. Too much telegraphing, too much tracking, and too much time.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

Legend wrote:
3 years ago
spacemonaut wrote:
3 years ago
Am I incorrect to think of it as 0+X, where X is the number of permanents with futuresight you control, just worded in a different way?
It's probably technically completely workable, though it reads to me as having the same semantic issues as saying "You may start your car with an additional orange" which implies I was doing anything to do with starting cars with oranges to begin with. It makes part of me go "Wait, I'm supposed to be looking at cards at the start of my turn now? How many? When?".

Contrast "enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter", where the nature of how and when creatures enter the battlefield and what they enter with is well known to us.

The challenge for me is conveying that you're doing something new without making it sound like it stacks.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 3 years ago

What about altering your drawstep draw instead of stacking during the upkeep?

Futuresight(When you would draw your first card in your draw step. Instead, look at the top X cards of your library where X is the number of instances of Futuresight among permanents you control and put one of them into your hand. Put the rest on top of your library in any order.)

Its a lot wordier but it should perfectly accomplish your goal of being cumulative but not stacking and keeping information hidden.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”