New keyword action: Supply

Snes
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Snes » 3 years ago

A bit of rules clarification: counters on a player's supply are considered to be "on" that player. For example, if a player with a +1/+1 counter on their supply is chosen as part of a proliferate action, another +1/+1 counter will be put on the supply.

I also intentionally left the option open of other types of counters being put on the supply. You could, in theory, put keyword counters on there.
Do you remember where we all came from?
Do you remember what it's all about?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

I like this quite a bit. It's like... "universal graft" with easier tracking. Maybe influenced by support as well.

The flavor looks well-constructed as well. Feels appropriate for a world with walled cities, castles, and sieges.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

Would it work if the counters were put on you?

Supply 1 (You gain a supply counter. Whenever a creature ETB, you may remove a supply counter to add a +1/+1 counter to it.)

Edit: Oh they are on you. On your supply just confused me. Why don't you just say on you? You gain 8 supply counters.

Snes

Pygyzy wrote:
3 years ago
Would it work if the counters were put on you?

Supply 1 (You gain a supply counter. Whenever a creature ETB, you may remove a supply counter to add a +1/+1 counter to it.)

Edit: Oh they are on you. On your supply just confused me. Why don't you just say on you? You gain 8 supply counters.
I initially considered the phrasing "you get N +1/+1 counters." However, I anticipated that players would be confused by how a player having +1/+1 counters would impact the game, leading to questions about players dealing damage to creatures and things like that. Designating the supply as a separate "sub-zone" for counters lets me side-step that issue.

Your suggestion of "you get N supply counters" has the issue of the counters not being the same type. "Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, remove 1 supply counter from yourself. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on that creature." It's much cleaner to just say that you move the counter from your supply to that creature.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

How about this for reminder text:

Supply # (Add number +1/+1 counters to your supply. Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, you may move a counter from your supply onto it.)

It's a smidge more flavorful and flexible.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

Legend wrote:
3 years ago

Supply # (Add number +1/+1 counters to your supply. Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, you may move a counter from your supply onto it.)

I wasn't sure what you were going for there until I put that side by side with the original reminder text:

Supply N (Put N +1/+1 counters on your supply. Whenever a creature enters the battelfield under your control, move one counter from your supply onto it.)
Supply N (Add N +1/+1 counters to your supply. Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, you may move a counter from your supply onto it.)

Now I can imagine a card that says e.g. "When Scorpion's Attendant enters the battlefield, add three -1/-1 counters to your supply." :D

Snes

Legend wrote:
3 years ago

I'd argue that's less flavorful. Why are you supplying creatures on your opponent's side of the battlefield?

More flexibility doesn't mean it's a better mechanic. I intentionally made it non-mandatory to cut down on the decision-making and min-maxing. If supplying a creature was option, I'd worry that players would intentionally not use the mechanic in the hopes that they could save the last counters for their evasive threats.

As for triggering when your opponents play creatures, you're falling into the same mistake Wizards did when they designed the graft mechanic. Graft also triggers whenever any creature enters the battlefield, which makes it a pain to play with in any digital environment because every single trigger has to go on the stack and be resolved individually. On top of that, designing the mechanic in this way opened up very little design space; there is exactly one creature with graft that makes you want to put its counters on your opponent's creatures. If they cut that one creature from the set, they could have changed graft to play much smoother and made everyone's lives much easier.

Snes

spacemonaut wrote:
3 years ago
I wasn't sure what you were going for there until I put that side by side with the original reminder text:

Supply N (Put N +1/+1 counters on your supply. Whenever a creature enters the battelfield under your control, move one counter from your supply onto it.)
Supply N (Add N +1/+1 counters to your supply. Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, you may move a counter from your supply onto it.)

Now I can imagine a card that says e.g. "When Scorpion's Attendant enters the battlefield, add three -1/-1 counters to your supply." :D
I think that'd be better as a completely different mechanic.

Plague 1 (Target opponent gets a plague counter. Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under their control, remove a plague counter from them and put a -1/-1 counter on that creature unless they pay 1 life.)

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

I was thinking about that too, and I think you're right. I like that execution.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”