Mirage Xel's Commanders [EDH]

Mirage Xel
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Mirage Xel » 3 years ago

Last edited by Mirage Xel 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 3 years ago

*Dog

: )

I like the use of the artwork here. I'd suggest trying to zoom in further on the canine in on the second card. The tracker in the foreground still pulls too much focus and should be pushed further away from the center, maybe up to their shoulder.

The good news: The Andara card text is really convincing (though looking at the cost raised an eyebrow for me). The angle of a commander with partner allowing another creature to explore is solid. The artwork also works very well for a green legendary creature.
The additional land drop line is a fine addition.

Misha does not fare so well. Just the scry line with the synergy between the cards I would get, but fire breathing seems quite off. Maybe you thought about making use of the tension between scrying on the upkeep and leaving mana open to cast spells.
But I think triggering the scry on the end step (i. e. really soon after receiving the +1/+1 counter from e. g. exploring) and using a less aggressive power-increasing ability than two power for two mana would sit better with me. Though it seems inevitable this card will cause deck-stacking shenanigans in Commander anyway.
The art unfortunately also seems like a stretch for blue-red. I don't know whether this was top-down or bottom-up and what your priorities are in this design. I get it's hard to just stunble upon more fitting art, so you are doing well having what you do already.

I think the cost you aim for may be a little low. "Partner with <buddy>" is a line that essentially is worth a card/cantrip (maybe a little less for EDH/singleton/legendaries since only one of the creatures gets to cantrip, but still at least half a card). That makes me feel this isjust a bit too generous.

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Nit: as of M21, Hounds will be Dogs. Still, that isn't out yet, so I'll let sleeping hounds lie.

Anyway, these look sweet! There's some good synergy between extra land drops and exploring on Andara, and the fire breathing + enchanced scry on Misha works well too. I do sort of wish there were more synergy between Andara and Misha though - I guess scrying sets up explore, while explore pumps the scry effect? The scry doesn't set up the explore if Misha hasn't been pumped though, which would almost make me want the scrying to also be an attack trigger. It's also a bit awkward to pump a creature during your upkeep, since you won't know how much mana you should reserve to cast what you draw. On the other hand, scrying on upkeep is by far the most useful time to do so. Hmm...

I'd generally be sort of cautious with partners, due to the high power level of the mechanic, but these two look pretty reasonable from a power level perspective. Fun, but not oppressive.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Echoing the above: These are obviously very synergistic cards; their overall effect seems fun, but maybe too efficient for the costs. Misha in particular has a small issue, and that's taking up potentially a lot of time if his power happens to be high.

Still, these are high-quality designs that just need polish.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 3 years ago

You can't just turn a face-down instant or sorcery face up. The rules specifically forbid this from happening. What you can do which isn't a problem at all is exile it and then cast it from exile.

Mirage Xel

Post by Mirage Xel » 3 years ago

Just pretend it says that, okay?

Mimicvat

Post by Mimicvat » 3 years ago

That blue one is potentially more interesting than any of the current blue commanders imo. Would be better with a way to create more manifested spells, such as an upkeep trigger. As is it only has one build which is "gigantic sorcery", since you lack the ability to play it as "many smaller spells".

I guess it might have some problems with the non-exile extra turn spells, no matter what form it is in. Might want to look into that
Currently building: ww Bruna, the Fading Light (card advantage tribal / reanimator)
Main decks;
r Neheb, Big Red Champion g Yeva's Mono Green Control, b Ayara's Aristocrats rb Greven, Predator Captain the One Punch Man, ugw Derevri, Empirical Tactician Aggro,rwbu Tymna & Kraum's Saboteurs, wbg Kondo & Tymna's Hatebears wugTuvasa's Silver Bullets, urBrudiclad does Brudiclad thingsgubSidisi, Brood Tyrant (lantern control)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”