Commanders that I've made...

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Guardman » 3 years ago

I sometimes like to rummage through my collection and find random cards and thinking up a commander that would run it. While I was in the shower today I thought about Cinder Cloud and thought about a commander that would want to run it. I actually liked what I came up with:

Pavel, Prismatic Painter 1rw
Legendary Creature - Human Artist
Protection from multicolor
Whenever Pavel attacks, he gets +X/+0 until end of turn, where X is the number of multicolored permanents defending player controls.
0: Choose a color at random. All permanents are that color in addition to their other colors. Activate this ability once per turn and only any time you could cast a sorcery.
1/3

I could see a commander like him running a lot of color hosing spells like Cinder Cloud, Red Elemental Blast and Celestial Purge.
Last edited by Guardman 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

Hey, that's pretty neat!

"At random" is frustrating, but necessary for balancing. I'm glad he can't gain protection from spells via his randomization ability.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Hey, that's pretty neat!

"At random" is frustrating, but necessary for balancing. I'm glad he can't gain protection from spells via his randomization ability.
Yeah. I original wanted him to go full Painter's Servant, but figured he would be too hard to deal with outside of Wrath's and artifacts.

Today's card is thanks to Atraxian for pointing out Quirion Druid in the Number Crunch thread. :P

Pangaea, The World Itself 5
Legendary Creature - Elder God
Indestructible
As long as you control nine or fewer nonlegendary lands, Pangaea is a land. (It's not a creature.)
Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to attacking lands you control.
: Add . This mana can only be spent to activate abilities from lands.
10/10

I decided to go with a Commander that encouraged you to play manlands and things that turn your lands into creatures. One of the big things with manlands though is that they cost mana to activate, which is mana better spent on playing spells usually. To remedy this I figured allowing it to tap for that could only be spent to activate lands would be best. It was also the best way to get all the mana symbols on the card, since I felt it would be too restrictive if you couldn't just fill the deck with as many manlands as you want. I know a lot of people don't like the non-every color mana cost for commanders, but I felt it was more elegant and better for what this commander is supposed to do.

Finally counting nonlegendary lands was the most elegant way I could think of for having its God restriction not count itself, but still be land related.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Two new commanders today:

Tyr of War and Peace rw
Creature - Elemental Monk
Flash
When Tyr of War and Peace enters the battlefield, discard a card, then draw a card.
Whenever you discard one or more card, you may pay rw. If you do, Tyr of War and Peace deals 3 damage to any target and you gain 3 life.
2/2

The name needs work (Other names I considered were Tyr of the Helix or Tyr of the Twin Bolts), but I am happy with his design. Originally I designed him with the idea he was just a Lightning Helix on a body, but I thought he was too powerful in the first cast, while underpowered with each subsequent cast. I then tried an ETB/attacks trigger where you could pay rw for the lightning helix effect, but it felt boring. Almost every Boros commander cares about attacking. Eventually I remembered Spirit Cairn, a card I always wanted to build with, but never had a good commander for it. Well red has plenty of self-discard, madness, and things that care about you discarding, and white has a little bit like Spirit Cairn and Seasoned Hallowblade. It seemed like the perfect trigger to make a fun and unique Boros commander.

Tsuki, Aspect of the Moon 1wb
Creature - Rabbit Spirit
Lifelink
At the beginning of each end step, if you gained 3 or more life this turn, reveal the top card of your library and put it into your hand. You lose life equal to that card's converted mana cost.
3/3

Tsuki is actually based on a card I created a long time ago called Heretic Apothecary:

Heretic Apothecary wb
Creature - Human Cleric
Lifelink
At the beginning of your end step, if you gained life this turn, reveal the top card of your library and put it into your hand. You lose life equal to that card's converted mana cost.
1/2

Who was basically me making a Bob variant. I liked the fact that there was tension between gaining life and losing life. I was thinking about it last night and I figured Heretic Apothecary would make a fun commander with the tension of gaining life while also losing life to draw cards. The two main changes I made were to up the potential power by having it trigger at the beginning of each end step, while making it harder to trigger by using the M21 BW theme of needing to gain at least 3 life to trigger.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Updated title of thread to better reflect this thread.

Today I decided rogues needed a grixis lord.

Keitha, Revolutionary Recruiter ubr
Legendary Creature - Aetherborn Rogue
Menace, Deathtouch
Whenever a rogue you control deals combat damage to a player, exile the top card of their library facedown. You may look at and cast that card for as long as it remains exiled, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast that spell.
Creatures you control, but don't own, have haste and are rogues in addition to their other creature types.
1/3

The most common theme among rogues as a tribe is that they have low power, but powerful abilities that encourage attacking. Be it a saboteur effect, Prowl, an on attack effect, or an untapping effect. The other neat theme rogues have is very limited, but no other tribe really has, and that is stealing your opponent's cards and casting them (i.e. Gonti, Lord of Luxury, Thada Adel, Acquisitor & Robber of the Rich). As everyone who knows me knows I have a love affair with Etali, Primal Storm and casting my opponent's cards, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to add that as Keitha's saboteur/lord ability.

Finally, I wanted something unique that rewarded you for casting your opponent's spells. Keitha is a rogue after all. And rogues steal. I thought it would be neat to reward you for casting your opponent's creatures by turning them into your own rogue army. It also rewards you for playing steal spells like In Bolas's Clutches and Act of Treason.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Popping in with a few brief comments.

Pangaea - That's an unorthodox build to promote. Seems neat. Hard to break, I hope.

Tsuki - Really good stuff.

Keitha - This does a lot and feels like it might be too self-perpetuating? Still, good idea to give a really widespread tribe with almost no tribal bonuses something to work with.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
Keitha - This does a lot and feels like it might be too self-perpetuating? Still, good idea to give a really widespread tribe with almost no tribal bonuses something to work with.
It is a bit self-perpetuating, but I was so tickled by the idea that I said screw it and might as well make it my vision. But probably xe would work better without the Rogue clause or maybe giving creatures you don't own, but control +1/+0. I do think it is a neat idea to give you a bonus for "recruiting" your opponents' creatures.

Next up is a commander whose entire idea was a benevolent mono-black commander. While benevolent and mono-black might seem contradictory, I see it more in the old robber-baron mold of J.P. Morgan and John D. Rockefeller. Someone who is ruthless in business, but knows they have a bad reputation, so is generous with their money.

Hallix Fang, Philanthropist 1bb
Legendary Creature - Human Noble
Whenever an artifact an opponent controls becomes tapped, each of that player's opponents may draw a card.
3: Target opponent creates a treasure token. Hallix Fang, Philanthropist gains indestructible until end of turn.
3/3
"True immortality is being remembered."

Could mono-black group hug become a thing with this guy? Probably not. Actually I should say hopefully not, since group hug decks are awful to play against. But he has a fun little subgame where each player has control of how many cards their opponent draws. He is also "generous" in giving out treasure tokens, free mana that needs to be tapped to be used... hehe. I added a may to his draw ability so that an opponent doesn't just win the game by being able to infinitely tap/untap an artifact.

Next up, and keeping with the mono-black theme, comes Pestilence.

Pestilence, Plague Bringer 2bb
Legendary Creature - Incarnation
Wither
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a -1/-1 counter on all creatures.
Whenever a creature with -1/-1 counter dies, its controller loses 2 life.
4/4
"It seeks a body which can withstand its power. None have been found."

First off, no infect because one, poison has a bad habit of ruining games, and two it clashes with its triggered life loss ability.

The entire idea of Pestilence, Plague Bringer is that it brings death to all, even itself (at least temporarily). And whenever it kills a creature a little bit of its disease spreads to that creature's controller. I could see it as a fun mono-black control commander.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

First today is an Ogre commander that is inspired by Japanese Oni.

Boss Tetsu, First Among Oni 2rr
Legendary Creature - Ogre Warrior
Whenever Boss Tetsu, First Among Oni deals damage to a creature, gain control of that creature.
5/4
He welcomes any who can survive a single hit of his club as one of his kin.

Basically he recruits all who he considers worthy. He would be an interesting commander to build around because outside of stealing large creatures he would need help. Works well with fight effects and ping effects.

Next was inspired by the idea that instead of Omnath gaining colors, it lost all colors. How would that happen? By being corrupted by the Eldrazi of course.

Omnath, Locus of Eternity 2cc
Legendary Creature - Eldrazi Elemental
You may pay cc instead of paying any colored mana cost.
Whenever a source you control would exile a card, exile it with an Eternity counter on it instead. You may cast cards that you exiled with Eternity counters from exile.
3/3

Not 100% sure if that is the correct wording on the first ability. But basically the idea is that all mana symbols become twobrid mana (i.e. becomes ). This ability is meant to work with the second ability to let you cast whatever you exile, but at a price. Personally I find the way you have to get cards for you to play fascinating, since on one hand colorless has a lot of effects that work like Relic of Progenitus, but most of them require stuff being in the graveyard for example. I say all that, but in the end the card might still be broken (or at the least very warping).

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 3 years ago

K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth: "For each colored mana symbol in a cost, you may pay {2} rather than pay that mana."

Twobrid mana doesn't need to be paid with colorless, so {2} is more appropriate than {C}{C}.

The exile ability should start with "if" rather than "whenever" OR lose the "instead"/"would". And the second part should be a new ability on a separate line:

Pako, Arcane Retriever & Haldan, Avid Arcanist "Whenever a source you control exiles a card, put an eternity counter on it.
You may cards cards from exile with eternity counters on them if you exiled them."

The wording also implies that you can say "whenever you exile" rather than "whenever a source you control exiles", but I haven't thought that one through yet. : )

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 3 years ago

Is Omnath meant to be able to play lands? If so its a simple switch "cast" with "play". You split seperate abilities into different lines.
For each colored mana symbol in a cost, you may pay 2 rather than pay that mana.
Whenever you exile a card put an eternity counter on it.
You may cast cards you've exiled with eternity counters on them.

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 3 years ago

That last line is incorrect. It is avoided due to ambiguity.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

@ user_938036 - Omnath is not meant to be able to play lands.
SecretInfiltrator wrote:
3 years ago
K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth: "For each colored mana symbol in a cost, you may pay {2} rather than pay that mana."

Twobrid mana doesn't need to be paid with colorless, so {2} is more appropriate than {C}{C}.

The exile ability should start with "if" rather than "whenever" OR lose the "instead"/"would". And the second part should be a new ability on a separate line:

Pako, Arcane Retriever & Haldan, Avid Arcanist "Whenever a source you control exiles a card, put an eternity counter on it.
You may cards cards from exile with eternity counters on them if you exiled them."

The wording also implies that you can say "whenever you exile" rather than "whenever a source you control exiles", but I haven't thought that one through yet. : )
Thanks for the wording help. It is such an unique case that I wasn't 100% sure on how it should be worded and I couldn't think of examples to steal the wording from. Also, for the twobrid comparison, the cc instead of 2 was intentional, to give Omnath a little bit more colorless flavor (mind you as a commander it will most likely be moot, but I digress).

Updated wording:

Omnath, Locus of Eternity 2cc
Legendary Creature - Eldrazi Elemental
For each colored mana symbol in a cost, you may pay cc rather than pay that mana.
Whenever a source you control exiles a card, put an Eternity counter on it.
You may cast cards from exile with Eternity counters on them if you exiled them.
3/3

I am keeping the source you control text because I think that is the correct wording. See Fiery Emancipation vs. Bag of Holding.

"If a source you control would deal damage to a permanent or player, it deals triple that damage to that permanent or player instead." vs. "Whenever you discard a card, exile that card from your graveyard."

Since exiling is more like damage in that it is something a card does (exiling stuff), rather than something you do (a source can't discard, only cause you to discard), I believe it needs to include the "source you control" text.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 3 years ago

Guardman wrote:
3 years ago

I am keeping the source you control text because I think that is the correct wording. See Fiery Emancipation vs. Bag of Holding.

"If a source you control would deal damage to a permanent or player, it deals triple that damage to that permanent or player instead." vs. "Whenever you discard a card, exile that card from your graveyard."

Since exiling is more like damage in that it is something a card does (exiling stuff), rather than something you do (a source can't discard, only cause you to discard), I believe it needs to include the "source you control" text.
Looking into it you definitely want the sources your control thing but not for the reason you stated. Exiling is handled very strangly. Players exile things but so do cards. For every thing exlied there is a player and a card that caused it to be exiled. This is important because a lot of cards that exile from odd places cause your opponent to exile rather than you directly exiling your opponents stuff. Fallen Shinobi and every ingest card causes your opponent to exile the top of their library rather than you exiling the top of their library. Its very strange.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

user_938036 wrote:
3 years ago
Guardman wrote:
3 years ago

Looking into it you definitely want the sources your control thing but not for the reason you stated. Exiling is handled very strangly. Players exile things but so do cards. For every thing exlied there is a player and a card that caused it to be exiled. This is important because a lot of cards that exile from odd places cause your opponent to exile rather than you directly exiling your opponents stuff. Fallen Shinobi and every ingest card causes your opponent to exile the top of their library rather than you exiling the top of their library. Its very strange.
That's very interesting. Even though I love the card (like I do most cards I make), I am enjoying this discussion about exiling even more. It is really not something I thought about too much before making this card.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

I love love love Boss Tetsu. It's certainly... odd mathematically that in combat he's only able to gain control of =<3/=>6s and survive, but I guess figuring out the rest is for Johnny to do.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 2 years ago

I sort of forgot I had this thread for a while there. Anyways, some new commanders.

First off, two versions of what I am calling "Lhurgoyf Lord", because Lhurgoyfs need lords.

Lhawir, First to Hunger 1brg
Legendary Creature - Elder Lhurgoyf
Whenever you cast Lhawir or another Lhurgoyf, each player mills three cards.
Delirium - Lhurgoyf creatures you control get +3/+3 and have trample as long as there are four or more card types among cards in your graveyard.
1/2

This version of Lhawir is designed to support not only Lhurgoyfs, but Delirium decks, by milling each player whenever you cast it or another Lhurgoyf. I really wanted to give +4/+4 for its anthem effect, but that seemed like it would be too good with Changelings.

Lhawir the All-Consuming 1brg
Legendary Creature - Elder Lhurgoyf
When Lhawir the All-Consuming enters the battlefield, choose a card type. All cards in all graveyards are that type in addition to their other types.
As long as there are forty or more cards in all graveyards, Lhawir gets +10/+10 and has Indestructible, Haste, and Trample.
1/2

A bit more out there of a design, but it works by making any Lhurgoyf you have on the battlefield massive. But lets be honest. The real reason anyone would play it is for its first ability and all the fun (and rules nightmares) to be had by abusing it. Mizzix's Mastery anyone?

Next I decided I wanted to try my hand at Partners that encourages you to partner it with a partner of the same color (plus a colorless partner just because).

Ajanahar, Fleeting Flame rr
Legendary Creature - Elemental
Haste, Trample
Ajanahar, Fleeting Flame's power is equal to 3 plus the number of times you've cast a red commander from the command zone this game.
At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice Ajanahar, Fleeting Flame.
Partner
*/1

Halamelkam, Unending Nightmare 1bb
Legendary Creature - Incarnation
Flying
When Halamelkam enters the battlefield, each opponent loses X life and you gain X life, where X is equal to the number of times you've cast a black commander from the command zone this game.
Partner
2/2

Rhidonis, Absolute Perfection 2g
Legendary Creature - Elf Noble
As long as Rhidonis is on the battlefield or in the command zone, Green commanders cost less for each time they've been cast.
When Rhidonis enters the battlefield, look at the top six cards of your library. You may reveal a green creature card and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
Partner
1/1

Cardic, Heart of New Benalia w
Legendary Creature - Human Knight
Cardic, Heart of New Benalia costs 1 more to cast for each color in your commander's color identity.
Cardic, Heart of New Benalia has protection from each color that's not in your commander's color identity.
Partner
1/1

Oxixy, Obstinate Observer uuu
Legendary Creature - Vedalken Wizard
Whenever you cast Oxixy, Obstinate Observer, draw a card for each time you've cast a blue commander from the command zone this game.
Partner
2/2

Korspee, Artificial Leyline 3
Legendary Artifact Creature - Construct
As Korspee, Artificial Leyline enters the battlefield, choose a basic land type. Korspee enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter for each land of that type you control.
As long as Korspee has five or more +1/+1 counters on it, it has trample.
Partner
0/0

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

Lhawir (both versions), neither feel "goyfy", at all. Goyf's have their power and toughness determined by some measurable number (usually in the graveyard), not a static threshold like these. Basically, if these ever saw print, people would complain, a lot.

Ajanahar, Halamelkam, Rhidonis, Cardic (lol), & Oxixy: These cards encourage players to play monocolor decks, by partnering them with other legends they share a color with. I don't know if this is intentional or not. The clearly most powerful is Cardic (lol), as it can be neigh unstoppable if you play monowhite.

Korspee is really, really powerful. It can easily be a 3/3 for 3, and it only gets better from there.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
Lhawir (both versions), neither feel "goyfy", at all. Goyf's have their power and toughness determined by some measurable number (usually in the graveyard), not a static threshold like these. Basically, if these ever saw print, people would complain, a lot.
There was a tension with them as I could either go with a lord effect or just a legendary Lhurgoyf, but I couldn't find a way to do both in a satisfying way. As such I leaned into the lord theme as that was my original idea when designing it.
Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
Ajanahar, Halamelkam, Rhidonis, Cardic (lol), & Oxixy: These cards encourage players to play monocolor decks, by partnering them with other legends they share a color with. I don't know if this is intentional or not. The clearly most powerful is Cardic (lol), as it can be neigh unstoppable if you play monowhite.

Korspee is really, really powerful. It can easily be a 3/3 for 3, and it only gets better from there.
I feel like I am missing why Cardic is getting a lol. :sweat:

Yeah, the whole point is that they encourage mono-colored partners. Cardic is the one I was going back and forth on, as he seems really powerful, especially against certain decks. But eventually I figured he was similar to Etched Champion from the command zone and most decks play counters/sweepers/are white/artifacts, so its probably fine.

Korspee has the potential to be powerful, but has a large deck building cost in that you need to be running mostly basics of a single type and are giving up having an additional color. And a 3/3 on turn three isn't exactly threatening in most games.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
I think he just finds it funny it has "Card" in its name. :grin:
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
Nope. Cardic is very similar to Cardiac, and he has Heart in his name... I am easily entertained the day after a migraine. :P
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Krishnath wrote:
2 years ago
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Guardman wrote:
2 years ago
Nope. Cardic is very similar to Cardiac, and he has Heart in his name... I am easily entertained the day after a migraine. :P
Lol. I see it now. I actually named him after a guy I know whose last name is Cardic (pronounced Car-ditch, which is probably why I didn't notice the word play).

Happy I could help with a laugh.

Morpic_Tide
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Morpic_Tide » 2 years ago

The monocolor Partner cycle has the issue of there being multicolor Partners, mostly from 2016 and Ikoria. Though the Ikoria ones are seemingly entirely "Partners With".

In particular, Ajanahar gets incredibly nasty with Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder, as you add Double Strike and Lifelink to the high-power Trampler. This additionally offers Akroma's Will for Flying Double Strike Prot colored and Commander's Insignia for doubling up the Power boost. And Slash the Ranks to get a very likely near enough free attack on someone.

More significantly, Rhidonis is rather nasty with Reyhan, Last of the Abzan, as you halve the Commander tax for both of your Commanders to repeat Rhidonis' ETB for fetching and Reyhan's counter-handout potential. Which becomes even worse with Genesis Storm and Skull Storm as your Commanders synergize into massive amounts of recasts for ETBs and death triggers.

Halamelkam in intended usage turns very annoying with Falthis, Shadowcat Familiar, as you end up with a Flying Deathtouch Menace that wants to die anyways so you can siphon life from everyone again, most likely getting to freely chip at somebody until they're dead, which gets to be quite accelerated by Opal Palace (which is also horrifying with the Rhidonis/Reyhan example)

Cardic is mostly pointless because Commander's Plate exists to do exactly the same thing. Just take one of the White artifact-fetching Legendaries for about the same result but a little latter, while getting an actual toolbox instead of being anchored by a Voltron commander with no tools to actually get their attachments to matter.

Oxixy's main two-color Partner is Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix. It is difficult to properly describe the magnitude of card advantage one might end up generating this way. The only question is getting Oxixy back off the field, but once you do, the amount of gas you can pump for escalates very, very painfully quickly, to the point of likely needing a graveyard engine to do something with all the cards you can draw.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”