Perfect//Timing, Hyalopterous Lemuria, Hilarious Torture Device

Pygyzy
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Pygyzy » 4 years ago

Perfect 1UU//Timing 1RR
Instant
(This spell is either side but not both. It's colorless except when it's not.)
Superimposition
— As you announce this spell, before costs are paid, hide two untapped Islands you control and two untapped Mountains you control behind your back, two in each hand. An opponent chooses your left or your right. Reveal the chosen hand. If it's two Islands, this spell is blue and is Perfect. If it's two Mountains, this spell is red and is Timing.
//Left side
Create a token copy of a creature an opponent controls. It has, "Creatures with the same name as this creature have protection from themselves.".
//Right side
A spell's controller copies it and casts the copy. Replace all instances of "opponent" in their text with "you". Redirect them to their controller if able.

Hyalopterous Lemuria
Creature Land — Swamp Island Lemur
Hyalopterous Lemuria enters the battlefield tapped with a bide counter. (Bide counters give, "This doesn't untap during it's controllers untap step.)
, Remove a bide counter, add a bide counter: Untap Hyalopterous Lemuria. It gets -0/-2 and gains flying until end of turn. Activate this ability only if an opponent attacked during their last turn.
"So cute. I thought they'd all gone extinct. They won't attack unless provok—- O god it's eating me!" — Robefer Sutherford, World Renowned Explorer/Philanthropist, last words
3/5

Hilarious Torture Device 3
Artifact
T: Say something you think is funny. If another player laughs or smiles right away, put two -.5/-.5 counters on target creature.
"You think that's funny? What if I stuffed cabbage up your nose, poured vinegar in your mouth and called you cole slaw? Wouldn't be laughing then."

WizardMN
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by WizardMN » 4 years ago

Perfect//Timing's guessing game will literally never fail for the caster. If they want Perfect, they will get perfect. If they want Timing, they will get Timing. Since, you know, it is exceptionally easy to just swap the cards behind your back after your opponent chooses a hand so you can always reveal the cards you want.

Also, I am not sure what the "Protection from themselves" actually does. Or, more specifically, what you want it to do. It seems like it would do basically nothing about 99% of the time.

Lemuria is weird that is has no color. Even Dryad Arbor is Green.

Why give it two -.5/-.5 counters instead of just a single -1/-1 counter? Is this meant to just play differently with +1/+1 counters?

SecretInfiltrator

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Remember?
Pygyzy wrote:
4 years ago
Good card but lands with a bunch of counters building up is annoying to me. IMO. I'd prefer, "... if ~ doesn't have a currency counter on it...".
Apparently you have a higher tolerance for complicated counters (-.5/-.5) piling up on creatures. Except you also propose a land with bide counters (that wouldn't need the counter to begin with) that could also get the -.5/-.5 counters.

These cards are complicated and fiddly without adding the entertainment value you want to get out of Un-cards. Specifically the last one creates the "Gotcha" problem where the best play is to not enjoy yourself.

I feel superimposition is salvagable, but the issue is that you hide cards you control rather than playing a more controlled mini-game. I get the interaction with dual lands, but the basic case is coin flips.

Considering the wall of text superimposition still fails to cover the ambiguity of revealing two Island Moountain cards. Do you have to pay six mana now? what if you don't have the mana. May as well make use of a whammy deck.

Pygyzy

Post by Pygyzy » 3 years ago

WizardMN wrote:
4 years ago
Perfect//Timing's guessing game will literally never fail for the caster. If they want Perfect, they will get perfect. If they want Timing, they will get Timing. Since, you know, it is exceptionally easy to just swap the cards behind your back after your opponent chooses a hand so you can always reveal the cards you want.

Also, I am not sure what the "Protection from themselves" actually does. Or, more specifically, what you want it to do. It seems like it would do basically nothing about 99% of the time.

Lemuria is weird that is has no color. Even Dryad Arbor is Green.

Why give it two -.5/-.5 counters instead of just a single -1/-1 counter? Is this meant to just play differently with +1/+1 counters?
Yeah, gonna rework superimposition. Way too many issues.
Lemuria is intended to be weird. Was gonna try a cycle like Monster Island Sanctuary. I don't think it works as well as I'd hoped. Lemurs and Island Fish are two nostalgia cards so that's why I made it.
Two -.5/-.5 counters is 1 -1/-1 counter. But in my set you'll be able to add two -5/-5 counters with the ability.
SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
Remember?
Pygyzy wrote:
4 years ago
Good card but lands with a bunch of counters building up is annoying to me. IMO. I'd prefer, "... if ~ doesn't have a currency counter on it...".
Apparently you have a higher tolerance for complicated counters (-.5/-.5) piling up on creatures. Except you also propose a land with bide counters (that wouldn't need the counter to begin with) that could also get the -.5/-.5 counters.
Haha yeah I did say that. The -.5/-5 counters will always be -1/-1 except for my card that interact. As for bide, I always wanted to keyword doesn't untap. The counters just made it easy. No it doesn't need the counters but it seemed like a fair drawback. Can make it less fiddle.
These cards are complicated and fiddly without adding the entertainment value you want to get out of Un-cards. Specifically the last one creates the "Gotcha" problem where the best play is to not enjoy yourself.
Yeah this is being redesigned.
I feel superimposition is salvagable, but the issue is that you hide cards you control rather than playing a more controlled mini-game. I get the interaction with dual lands, but the basic case is coin flips.

Considering the wall of text superimposition still fails to cover the ambiguity of revealing two Island Moountain cards. Do you have to pay six mana now? what if you don't have the mana. May as well make use of a whammy deck.
Hopefully the fix will solve these issues. Thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”