Vehicles with Creature Types

RattingRots
Pathological Scryer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by RattingRots » 3 years ago

Had an idea to have vehicles with creature types so they can be used for tribal effects. Not exactly sure if this idea turned out the best. It's tough to find creature types that make sense as artifacts, but I think at least "construct" is kind of something that you don't want to have to care about as a tribe (although so is humans so I guess you never know).

EDIT: Construct has the additional problem that you have to explain why every single vehicle isn't a construct.

Stratothopter 0
Artifact - Thopter Vehicle
Flying
Crew 2
2/2

Eight-Legged Abomination 2B
Artifact - Zombie Vehicle
Crew 4
Whenever any number of creatures crew ~, sacrifice one of them.
8/8

Armored Transport 2
Artifact - Construct Vehicle
Crew 2
~ can only be crewed by artifact creatures.
3/5
For Sale: Boots of +2 intellect. Never worn.

Feyd_Ruin
Elder Vampire
Answers: 3

Post by Feyd_Ruin » 3 years ago

I'm not a rules lawyer, but I would suspect you'd need the Tribal type in order to accurately give the creature type as a creature type. Even if not, I think it feels "cleaner" and could end up more flavorful.

You could perhaps use the Tribal to give it a creature type that doesn't explicitly mean "This elven vehicle is made out of elves", but instead something like "Elven Skiff", "Goblin Caravan", or "Jotun Colossus"

Some creature types lend themselves better than others.
Human Vehicle? My brain automatically goes to absurdity and silver border land.
Zombie Vehicle, Elemental Vehicle, Golem Vehicle... these feel natural.

Races I could legitmately see:

Faerie (Using it as a vaguer "fey" term)
Zombie
Elemental
Golem
Shapeshifter
Horror
Drone
Nightmare
Spirit
Weird
Plant
Dreadnought
Juggernaut
Thopter
Servo
Tetravite
Triskelavite
Wall (I swear you could make Wall make sense...)
To the beaten, the broken, or the damned; the lost, and the wayward: wherever I may be, you will have a home.

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 3 years ago

Feyd_Ruin is right. You can't have creature types on noncreatures unless they are tribal. That said, there are few designs that make a reasonable creature type vehicle. To support tribal on vehicles you should go the route of support and not being supported. Either using the (Type) crew to reduce the cost if you are in tribe or have an actual tribal component on the artifact.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

user is right; type-crew and other tribal bonuses would be a better route to take. However, if you want to put actual creature types on the Vehicles there are many valid reasons to not want to use the tribal type. I'm not opposed to using it in custom designs, but it's not currently supported.

Something you could do if you wanted to make a Vehicle have other types without tribal would be to have a line of text like "This is a CREATURE TYPE in addition to its other types as long as it's a creature.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”