Acorn Ambush

Thornstrike
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Thornstrike » 4 years ago

Here's a flavor-based design I came up with after watching a Magic discussion video - bonus point to anyone who can guess which video it was.

Acorn Ambush 3W
Instant
Choose target attacking unblocked creature. Create X 1/1 Green Squirrel creature tokens that are blocking that creature, where X is that creature's toughness.

Flavorwise, I wanted to evoke the idea of a swarm of squirrels jumping out of a tree to attack something. Colorwise, though, this can't be a green card (unless it only targeted flying creatures). So in order for this to work, there would have to be some reason in-set to let white create squirrel tokens. I considered white-green, but there's nothing green about this effect other than creating tokens, which white can do just as well.

My biggest worry was how it would combine with mass-pump or token doubling effects, since in effect it destroys an attacking creature and leaves behind tokens equal to how much more toughness the creature had than power. It seems like it might be a strong uncommon in a set without an anthem effect, but any effect that could boost the tokens would push it too far for limited.

And yes, they can be used against flyers. Just imagine they jump out of the top of the trees as it flies over.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

I don't really think that it would be a problem in sets/formats with Anthem or creature/token doubling effects, particularly not at uncommon. It shouldn't be an issue at all in limited formats either as an uncommon, as both Anthem and creature/token doubling effects almost universally tend to be rare, so the likelihood that you get them both in a limited format and get them both at the same time when playing is incredibly low.

All in all it seems like a balance uncommon, not all that unlike other uncommon white removal spells.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

I think you should make it so it works against Emrakul for extra lulz

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”