Wish Mechanic - Disney set

Icarii
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

My set in four cards mentioned wishes, but didn't include them. So here are some examples!

To Rule on High 1R
Sorcery (U)
You become the Monarch.
Wish 3 - 3R (3R, Discard this card: Search your library for a card with a converted mana cost 3 and exile it. Then shuffle your library. You may play that card this turn. Wish only as a sorcery.)

To Walk on Dry Land U
Sorcery (C)
Return target creature an opponent controls to it's owners hand.
Wish 6 - 1U (1U, Discard this card: Search your library for a card with a converted mana cost 6 and exile it. Then shuffle your library. You may play that card this turn. Wish only as a sorcery.)

To Be Free 1W
Instant (U)
Return up to one face-up card in exile to its owner's hand. You gain 2 life.
Wish 1 - 2W (2w, Discard this card: Search your library for a card with a converted mana cost 1 and exile it. Then shuffle your library. You may play that card this turn. Wish only as a sorcery.)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

My biggest issue with Wish, although it is an interesting mechanic, is that it's a tutor mechanic, which means a heck of a lot of shuffling.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

So fixed transmute! This ability does kind of have the same problems as transmute - too much shuffling and too much consistency - but the flavor of the card names is aces.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Icarii

Yeah this was my first idea for the wish mechanic. The problem being that transmute is a 9 on the storm scale simply from a development standpoint, and I don't think this version fixes all of those issues.

That said, it's challenging to design a mechanic around wishes when the term "wish" already has a defined design space in magic: Tutoring from outside the game or (more recently) your library.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Well.... If you limited the search to the top N cards of your library, picked and exiled one to cast, and then put the rest on the bottom of your library in random order, it would fix the shuffle issue.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Icarii

So what you're saying is something like...

To Rule on High 1R
Sorcery (U)
You become the Monarch.
Wish 3 - 2R (2R, Discard this card: Look at the top 3 cards of your library and exile one. You may play that card this turn. Wish only as a sorcery.)

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Oh that's nice.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Icarii wrote:
4 years ago
So what you're saying is something like...

To Rule on High 1R
Sorcery (U)
You become the Monarch.
Wish 3 - 2R (2R, Discard this card: Look at the top 3 cards of your library and exile one. You may play that card this turn. Wish only as a sorcery.)
Yes, but the remaining cards should be put on the bottom of the library in random order, to really nail the flavor. "You can pick one, but the rest go bye, bye".

Icarii

Polling on other sites made this mechanic look unpopular. What about a version like:

To Walk on Dry Land U
Sorcery (C)
Return target creature an opponent controls to it's owners hand.
Wish 4 - 2U (2U, Discard this card: Exile the top 4 cards of your library and put on wish counter on each. Then choose a card with a wish counter and add it to your hand. Wish only as a sorcery.)

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

A mechanic built out of Karn, Scion of Urza? That looks great but will nessecitate that you watch the cost of low wish values.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”