Set in 4 Cards - Disney!

Icarii
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

I've been practicing design cards for IPs and have been envisions a full blown Disney set. First impression based on four cards?

Pride Rock Lioness W
Creature — Beast (C)
Pride Rock Lioness has first strike as long as you're the monarch.
"If you were half the king Mufasa was..."
—Sarabi

2/1

Mrs. Potts G
Legendary Artifact Creature - Construct (U)
Food tokens you control cost 1 less to activate.
T: Create a food token. Activate this ability only if you control no food tokens.
"Oh, pish tosh. I'm not going to let the poor child go hungry."
0/1

Part of Your World 3U
Enchantment — Song (U)
The first time you finish a lyric, mark it and draw a card. Then when you finish this song, sacrifice it and untap each land you control.
[♪] Cast an artifact spell.
[♪] Cast a creature spell.
[♪] Cast an enchantment spell.

Jafar, Grand Viser 1BR
Legendary Creature — Human Advisor (R)
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, you may scry 1.
When you make a wish, transform Jafar, Grand Viser.
"I must find this one, this... diamond in the rough."
2/3
/////
Jafar, Sultan Sorcerer
() Legendary Creature — Human Wizard (R)
1R: Jafar, Sultan Sorcerer deals 1 damage to any target.
At the beginning of your upkeep, Jafar becomes a 6/6 black and red Snake creature token with deathtouch and menace until end of turn. (he loses all other types and abilities.)
"I am your master now!"
3/4

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Pretty good, although I must say many Disney IP's on their own could easily fill a set.

Individually:

Pride Lioness is basically a better Savannah Lions, not sure it is appropriate for a common as Savannah Lions is already pretty pushed.

Mrs. Potts I really like, it is by no means powerful, but it is a pretty fun "build around me" uncommon legend with food support.

Part of Your World is a good example of what appears to be a very fun mechanic. I am of course assuming (and rightfully so I imagine) that different songs do different things. But it basically rewards you for doing things you are likely to do anyway, which is nifty.

Jafar, Grand Viser (I am pretty sure it is Vizier btw) is pretty interesting. I half expected the other side to show his genie form, but it does a nice job of showing off his power both before and after he got the genie's lamp in the first movie.

All in all, I like the cards. 8.5/10
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Icarii

Yeah the Lioness may be too good for common. Usually 2/1 with pure upside is uncommon for w.

You're correct that each song would have different rewards, which is why they have rules text instead of reminder text like Sagas.

I thought about making Jafar transform into a Genie... but to be honest in the original movie Jafar as a genie did nothing. He fought as a Sorcerer. If I did a set the went back to movie sequels or did alternate Disney timelines I feel that would make more sense.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Icarii wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah the Lioness may be too good for common. Usually 2/1 with pure upside is uncommon for w.

You're correct that each song would have different rewards, which is why they have rules text instead of reminder text like Sagas.

I thought about making Jafar transform into a Genie... but to be honest in the original movie Jafar as a genie did nothing. He fought as a Sorcerer. If I did a set the went back to movie sequels or did alternate Disney timelines I feel that would make more sense.
Indeed, which is also why it works so well as a card.

What is funny though is that Disney doesn't actually own those IPs. No, not even the Lion King (as it is basically Hamlet with the characters changed to animals, and the hero surviving the finale, this is also how Disney defeated the lawsuit brought by the creators of Kimba the White Lion). Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, and 1001 Arabian Nights are all so old that no one owns the IP to them. They own the specific iteration/appearance of the characters however.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

I'm not one for outside-IP cards, but I always like Si4C, and there are some intriguing ideas here.

Pride Rock Lioness - Not Cat type? Monarch I guess makes flavor sense for this setting in one sense but less so in another. There's not a lot of back-and-forth struggle for control in these settings. Even The Lion King itself just has one usurpation and then the true heir taking back over in the end.

Mrs. Potts - Fine, but seems like a great way to make Food tokens more annoyingly game-extending in Limited, lol.

Part of Your World - The Song/lyric stuff makes this feel different than Zendikar block quests; I think this is basically what R&D initially wanted to do for quests in Eldraine anyway, They had their reasons to not use it but it feels workable still, and I like this specific card.

Jafar - "Vizier." "Viser" is something different. In any event, making a wish isn't spoiled so this card is a little hard to evaluate.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Now that you mention it, Pride Rock Lioness really should be a Cat Beast if it keeps the Beast type at all.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

The song is incredible, like the quests from the old Mythos card game. i grinned really wide when i read it!

Icarii

...i cant believe i forgot cat was a creature type.

That aside, monarch is a mechanic that i felt fit four all four disney movies i refrenced here. It wont be the star mechanic of the set but becoming/reclaiming royalty sewmed like a common theme across disney movies.

I hadn't seen that article @void_nothing! There qurst mechanic is almost exactly the same. The key difference that makes my version perhaps more challenging but more even in its rewards is getting something for each lyric amd not just for completion.

And yes i rishwed and qent with the wrong vizier.

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

Icarii wrote:
4 years ago
Yeah, but how about just focussing on the Snake transformation instead? You have the card transform and then the back-face has a focus on... transforming.

On the other hand... Jafar's transformation is a transformation into the Sultan, right? With monarch already in the set I totally see this going a different direction.

I feel the Genie trap might make for a trinket-texty removal spell. "Enchanted creature is a 5/5 red Djinn creature with flying and indestructible. It can't attack or block and its abilities can't be activated or triggered." :D

barbecube

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

So, when are we going to talk about what "a wish" is?

Overall I'm seeing a lot/ of mechanics here (two on one card even!) and not a lot of tying together.
formerly willows

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”