Just a few "tribal" lands.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

I got inspired by the recent Knight tribal land from Throne of Eldraine (Tournament Grounds), and remembered there were a few tribal lands in Lorwyn block, and in Time Spiral block. So I went and made a few. And well, here are some of the ones I made.

Bandit Camp
Land (R)
When Bandit Camp enters the battlefield, return an untapped land you control to its owner's hand.
T: Add R.
2T, T: Create a 1/1 red Barbarian creature token with haste.

Infested Mire
Land (C)
T: add C.
1, T: Add B or G. If this mana is used to pay for a Leech spell, each opponent loses 1 life.
Edit
Show
Hide
Added the ability to tap for green as well as black.

Orc Stronghold
Land (R)
As Orc Stronghold enters the battlefield, you may reveal an Orc card from your hand. If you don't, Orc Stronghold enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add B or R.

Picturesque Hamlet
Land (U)
As Picturesque Hamlet enters the battlefield, return a Plains you control to its owner's hand.
T: Add W.
W, T: Create a 0/1 white Peasant creature token.

Royal Court
Land (R)
As Royal Court enters the battlefield, you may reveal a Noble card from your hand. If you don't, Royal Court enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add one mana of any color. Royal Court deals 1 damage to you.
3, T: Target Noble permanent becomes indestructible until end of turn.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Org version:

Royal Court
Land (R)
As Royal Court enters the battlefield, you may reveal a Noble card from your hand. If you don't, Royal Court enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add one mana of any color.
3, T: Target Noble permanent becomes indestructible until end of turn.

Wurm Nest
Land (U)
When Wurm Nest enters the battlefield, return an untapped Forest you control to its owner's hand or sacrifice Wurm Nest.
T: Add 1G. If this mana is spent to cast a Wurm creature, that creature enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Org. Version:

Wurm Nest
Land (U)
When Wurm Nest enters the battlefield, return an untapped Forest you control to its owner's hand.
T: Add 1G. If this mana is spent to cast a Wurm creature, that creature enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter.

As always, comments, criticisms, and critiques are welcome. Are they fair for their rarity? Should I change something? Inquiring minds wants to know. :)
Last edited by Krishnath 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Atraxian
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

I think that the mana cost on infected mire ability is a bit too much.
Using that ability means you are 1 mana behind your opponent every turn you use it and for a tribe as sparse as Leech and only 1 life, it is a feel bad moment.
Not to mention that if you want to use it on multiple lands, you need 1 extra mana each.
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Atraxian wrote:
4 years ago
I think that the mana cost on infected mire ability is a bit too much.
Using that ability means you are 1 mana behind your opponent every turn you use it and for a tribe as sparse as Leech and only 1 life, it is a feel bad moment.
Not to mention that if you want to use it on multiple lands, you need 1 extra mana each.
Yes, but if I do that, it's basically a Swamp with an upside if you are playing leeches. Remember, the mana is *not* restricted to only Leech spells, it only gives you an up side if you use it to pay for a Leech spell. And it is a *common* at that. Now, I might change it so it can filter for black and another color (green being most likely), which would make it better.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Atraxian
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Atraxian » 4 years ago

Missed the common rarity and now I see you were goign for the Unknown Shores template.
Looking at what leeches are already on print filtering for either or in addition to might do the trick. Or add a "gain 1 life" to the life loss.
Angels Enthusiast
Avacyn, Casual Angel Tribal

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 4 years ago

I would have Wurm Nest tap at least for {C} by itself just so playing it doesn't set you back two entire land drops if you currently have no Wurm card available.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Atraxian wrote:
4 years ago
Missed the common rarity and now I see you were goign for the Unknown Shores template.
Looking at what leeches are already on print filtering for either or in addition to might do the trick. Or add a "gain 1 life" to the life loss.
Green it is then.
SecretInfiltrator wrote:
4 years ago
I would have Wurm Nest tap at least for {C} by itself just so playing it doesn't set you back two entire land drops if you currently have no Wurm card available.
It doesn't set you back two land drops, the mana is not restricted, nor do you need to show a wurm for it to come into play untapped. It's just that if you use the mana to cast a wurm creature, it gets the +1/+1 counter. You can still spend the mana on other things. (like for example, a Balduvian Bears)

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

Royal Court and Wurm Nest both look too strong.

Wurm Nest simply as a land that adds multiple mana is a very significant upside that has proven problematic yet not quite broken when it shows up. Other lands like this enter tapped, don't have a conditional upside and are still playable.

Royal Court, ignoring the last ability this is already one of the strongest rainbow lands in print. Look at Mana Confluence and Grand Coliseum. Both are rare rainbow lands that hurt you to get your rainbow. One enters untapped while the other enters tapped and gives you painless colorless mana. Royal Court "can" enter untapped and painlessly gives you rainbow. There is no land that is currently that good. Every other land that comes close restricts the mana made such that you actually can't play the card if you aren't on theme. Then you have the last ability that further rewards you for being on theme. While I don't think this is anywhere close to broken it definitely feels too good.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

user_938036 wrote:
4 years ago
Wurm Nest simply as a land that adds multiple mana is a very significant upside that has proven problematic yet not quite broken when it shows up. Other lands like this enter tapped, don't have a conditional upside and are still playable.
Wurm Nest is only slightly stronger than Jungle Basin, in that it enters untapped and can give a small upside if you use the mana for a Wurm. And I can tell you as someone who played competitively during the Mirage era, the Karoo cycle was not widely played. I could see an argument for it being Rare though.
user_938036 wrote:
4 years ago
Royal Court, ignoring the last ability this is already one of the strongest rainbow lands in print. Look at Mana Confluence and Grand Coliseum. Both are rare rainbow lands that hurt you to get your rainbow. One enters untapped while the other enters tapped and gives you painless colorless mana. Royal Court "can" enter untapped and painlessly gives you rainbow. There is no land that is currently that good. Every other land that comes close restricts the mana made such that you actually can't play the card if you aren't on theme. Then you have the last ability that further rewards you for being on theme. While I don't think this is anywhere close to broken it definitely feels too good.
Yes, I was afraid of that, any suggestions on how to make it slightly less powerful?

user_938036
Answers: 21

Post by user_938036 » 4 years ago

So, I had just assumed you had written out the proper text to function like Karoo and the ravnica lands. Wurm Nest is actually crazy broken because there is no downside to not returning an untapped forest. You don't even need to not control a forest because you can just tap them before playing this. Assuming you add in the sacrifice clause then I would argue its significantly stronger than Jungle Basin because it doesn't enter tapped and has a slight upside. It might not be too strong but it is very strong.

For Royal Court, just make it painful for rainbow, the same as City of Brass and Mana Confluence. That makes the possibility for tapped the off settler for the extra ability. Unrestricted rainbow mana is very powerful so if you don't want to actually restrict it it needs to hurt.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

user_938036 wrote:
4 years ago
So, I had just assumed you had written out the proper text to function like Karoo and the ravnica lands. Wurm Nest is actually crazy broken because there is no downside to not returning an untapped forest. You don't even need to not control a forest because you can just tap them before playing this. Assuming you add in the sacrifice clause then I would argue its significantly stronger than Jungle Basin because it doesn't enter tapped and has a slight upside. It might not be too strong but it is very strong.

For Royal Court, just make it painful for rainbow, the same as City of Brass and Mana Confluence. That makes the possibility for tapped the off settler for the extra ability. Unrestricted rainbow mana is very powerful so if you don't want to actually restrict it it needs to hurt.
D'oh! I forgot the sacrifice clause on Wurm Nest. >.<

Royal Court plinking you for damage if you use the mana does fit the flavor.... with all the backstabbing and such in the typical fantasy royal court.

I'll update them ASAP. Thanks. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”