Just a curious child on an adventure.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 4 years ago

Curious Child W
Creature - Human (Common)
If Curious Child was cast from Exile, it enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter.
1/1
///
Down the Rabbit Hole 2U
Instant - Adventure (Common)
Return target nonland permanent to its owners hand.

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Edit: Reduced the casting cost of "Down the Rabbit Hole" from 2UU to 2U to make card more playable.
As always, comments, critiques, and constructive criticism is welcome (And yes, it is Alice.)
Last edited by Krishnath 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

NUMBERS
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NUMBERS » 4 years ago

Dig the flavor, dig the card!

I wonder if the cost on the Adventure is a little high/high commitment, but I see why it is what it is, especially at common!
[FOB] Fallen Obalt | A custom set of Crime, Clues, and Sacrifice.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

NUMBERS wrote:
4 years ago
Dig the flavor, dig the card!

I wonder if the cost on the Adventure is a little high/high commitment, but I see why it is what it is, especially at common!
Considering it can hit planeswalkers, I don't consider it a little high at all. Compare to other blue bounce spells that can hit planeswalkers (other than the ones designed and printed before planeswalkers was a thing. I am certain Boomerang would have cost more if that was the case back then.)

As with all multimode cards, such as split cards and the like, I upped the cost of the card a smidge compared to nonmultimode cards. You also need to remember that with certain cards, it is possible to reuse the bounce spell over and over, which was something I took into consideration when designing the card. Now, had the card been uncommon, I might have dropped the CC on the blue part to three mana, but at common I felt that was pushing the card to hard.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Cute design! It does look like it is going to suffer from the Kavu Titan problem though - people are going to want to cast the spell half first in almost every situation. Even more that the Titan, because a vanilla 1/1 is so weak. I do understand why you would want it to be a 1/1 (or even a 1/2 / 1/2 though.

Re: costing the spell half - I'm going to point to Into the Roil / Blink of an Eye, Disperse, and Leave in the Dust - two mana is the standard rate, or four if you draw a card. Bumping it to three due to the creature half is probably fine. You do sort of draw a card due to the creature half, but as it is a 2/2 that won't come down until at least turn 5, I don't think it is currently worth a full card.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Mookie wrote:
4 years ago
Re: costing the spell half - I'm going to point to Into the Roil / Blink of an Eye, Disperse, and Leave in the Dust - two mana is the standard rate, or four if you draw a card. Bumping it to three due to the creature half is probably fine. You do sort of draw a card due to the creature half, but as it is a 2/2 that won't come down until at least turn 5, I don't think it is currently worth a full card.
That is an excellent point actually, but a 2/2 for W is pretty hard to beat. Not to mention it works well with cards that allows you to increase the number of +1/+1 counters on it. And that is not even accounting for things that allow you to return creatures you control to your hand easily, which exist in certain formats. I will be reducing the cost of the bounce spell adventure to 2U though. That should make the card considerably more playable in limited formats.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

In a void "Down the Rabbit Hole" sounds like it should involve discarding or milling, as that's usually how a journey into insanity gets represented.

This is a fine card though. Nice effects. Cast-from-exile-matters is a nice mechanic to have on adventure cards, and I like how it ties in with her adventure.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

spacemonaut wrote:
4 years ago
In a void "Down the Rabbit Hole" sounds like it should involve discarding or milling, as that's usually how a journey into insanity gets represented.

This is a fine card though. Nice effects. Cast-from-exile-matters is a nice mechanic to have on adventure cards, and I like how it ties in with her adventure.
Ah, but in the story the card is based on, it's the transition between Alice's world and Wonderland. Thus the bounce spell effect. :)

Cast from Exile matters effects as well as different colored adventures seem like the logical next step for the Adventure mechanic. I am really looking forward to the template appearing on the MSE forums. Much easier for me to keep my card creations straight with that program, because I literally have several thousand. >.<

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

I do like the flavor a lot as a serial numbers filed off version of Alice. The one problem was already covered by [mention]Mookie[/mention] - bouncing something and then paying one mana for a bonus 2/2 is something players would want to do, whereas a 1/1 vanilla that costs any mana at all is unplayable even in Limited. You could make her 1/2 or give her a minorly powerful keyword, or both.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

void_nothing wrote:
4 years ago
I do like the flavor a lot as a serial numbers filed off version of Alice. The one problem was already covered by Mookie - bouncing something and then paying one mana for a bonus 2/2 is something players would want to do, whereas a 1/1 vanilla that costs any mana at all is unplayable even in Limited. You could make her 1/2 or give her a minorly powerful keyword, or both.
I could, but then it wouldn't feel like a common or at least it would be pushed such. I could be argued into giving her vigilance, as I was contemplating that from the start, but ended up going with the +1/+1 counter. Thoughts?

Maestro
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Maestro » 4 years ago

I think a 1/1 Vigilance makes the choice a little more like an actual choice into the kinds of decks where you miiight want a little blocker down early. But you're right; it's common. I think 1/1 Vigilance or 1/2 (with or without Vigilance) solve the "playability-of-the-non-Adventure" issue.

Love the flavor! I designed a Food/Treasure-based commander as a nod to No-Face from Studio Ghibli, and originally he had an Adventure on him called "Spirited Away."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”