Exploratory Design - Gild

Icarii
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

Names and flavor not the focus, just exploring design space. As a kicker variant mechanic, the design space isn't the most unique, but the challenge of blending hybrid and multicolor effects with minimal bleed is certainly there.

Fly Creature 2
Creature - (C)
Gild 2UW (You may cast this card for its gild cost)
Flying.
When you cast ~, if it's gilded, you gain 3 life.
2/3

Charmish Instant
Instant (U)
Gild gguu (You may cast this card for its gild cost)
Choose one. If you gilded this spell, choose both. -
• Target creature gets +0/+3 and gains hexproof until end of turn.
• Draw two cards. Then discard two cards unless you discard a noncreature, nonland card.

Mass Perma Pump X
Sorcery (R)
Gild XGGWW (You may cast this card for its gild cost)
Put X +1/+1 counters on target creature. If you gilded this spell, put X +1/+1 counters on each creature your team controls instead.

Mean Discard Demon 2
Creature - Legendary Demon (M)
Gild 2RRRBBB (You may cast this card for its gild cost)
When you cast ~, discard your hand then draw that many cards. If ~ is gilded,
each player discards their hand, then you draw cards equal to the greatest number of cards a player discarded this way instead.
Flying
6/6

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

Moved to the main section.

I must say that stating it like this is easier to word and understand, but it undercuts the uniqueness and kind of the "point" of the mechanic - you can spell out that the gild cost is both halves of the hybrid part of the cost, but then it just comes off as a nondescript alt cost.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

frogchild
izzet mage
Pronoun: she / her

Post by frogchild » 4 years ago

I like these designs, but I think the way you've currently got it worded is a bit awkward

Maybe Gild (You may cast this card for it's gilded cost by replacing each instance of (R/W) with RW. If so, it becomes gilded)
connesieur of all things red and/or blue

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 years ago

I think the current gilding is fine. The earlier discussion was that actually explaining "replace the hybrid cost with both colors" was confusing, and I think that was right to call out. In a real world set, players and the set's gameplay material would be talking about how the gild cost is based on paying both colors.

Let's also not best around the bush: a mechanic has to be able to stand on more than the impressiveness of its own novelty. If gilding doesn't do much without getting the relationship between the two costs, then it just doesn't do much.

Right now the cards read well and seem pretty fun.

I don't know if it fits the flavor of "gilding" — a name like "supercharged" might convey better, although YMMV on whether that specific name is aesthetically fine — but cards themselves seem fine. (It just clicked that there's a joke there: "make it gold", like a gold card. And that's great. It misses a connection to in-world flavor though, which is what mechanics need — nothing is gilded inside the world itself.)

Icarii

Post by Icarii » 4 years ago

I'm fine with treating Gild as a playtest name. Right now, this is a bottom up set design and the setting/flavor of it all is still undecided. But the design goal of the set right now is simply "Gold/Hybrid Set that supports multiple multiplayer formats."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”