Wedge Phoenixes (Abzan/Gravedweller updated P 1)

TurkeySloth
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by TurkeySloth » 4 years ago

Holdovers from MTG Salvation may remember that I posted a cycle of mono-coloured phoenixes there several years back. I turned them into wedge-affiliated cards earlier this year for an arctic-flavored, wedge-themed jaunt. While they're meant to create tokens that resonate with the locality featured in their names, I'd not sure Dwarf is the best token for Mardu's, even if I go with a mountain-based name. Thus, I welcome your feedback and suggestions about these cards.

Gravedweller Phoenix 2bgw
Creature — Zombie Phoenix {M}
Flying
Kicker—Discard a black, green, or white card
When ~ enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, return a face up exiled creature card you own with a converted mana cost equal to the discarded card's converted mana cost to your hand.
Exile two other creatures from your graveyard face up: Return ~ from your graveyard to the battlefield.
5/3
Old versions
Show
Hide
PlaceholderGravedweller Phoenix 2bgw
Creature — Zombie Phoenix {M}
Flying
Kicker—Discard a black, green, or white card
When ~ Phoenix enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, create a number of 1/1 black, green, and white Zombie creature tokens equal to the discarded card's converted mana cost.
bgw: ~ gains indestructible until end of turn.
5/3

Zombie
{B/G/W}
Token Creature — Zombie
1/1
Jeskai Phoenix 2rwu
Creature — Phoenix {M}
Flying
Kicker—Discard a red, white, or blue card
When ~ Phoenix enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, create a number of 1/1 red, white, and blue ??? creature tokens equal to the discarded card's converted mana cost.
rwu: ~ gains indestructible until end of turn.
5/3

???
{R/W/U}
Token Creature — ???
1/1

Mardu Phoenix 2wbr
Creature — Phoenix {M}
Flying
Kicker—Discard a white, black, or red card
When ~ enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, create a number of 1/1 white, black, and red Dwarf creature tokens equal to the discarded card's converted mana cost.
wbr: ~ gains indestructible until end of turn.
5/3

Dwarf
{W/B/R}
Token Creature — Dwarf
1/1

Rimewod Phoenix 2gub
Snow Creature — Treefolk Phoenix {M}
Flying
Kicker—Discard a green, blue, or black card
When ~ enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, create a number of 1/1 green, blue, and black Nymph Dryad Snow creature tokens equal to the discarded card's converted mana cost.
gub: ~ gains indestructible until end of turn.
5/3

Nymph Dryad
{G/U/B}
Token Snow Creature — Nymph Dryad
1/1

Shimmerhaven Phoenix 2urg
Creature — Phoenix {M}
Flying
Kicker—Discard a blue, red, or green card
When Shimmerhaven Phoenix enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, create a number of 1/1 blue, red, and green Faerie creature tokens equal to the discarded card's converted mana cost.
urg: ~ gains indestructible until end of turn.
5/3

Faerie
{U/R/G}
Token Creature — Faerie
1/1
Last edited by TurkeySloth 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING: Do not refute with pre-6th Ed. cards.

I reserve the right to sross-post your feedback on my designs to the Magic Set Editor fora, either in full or summary, to give critiquers there the full picture.

Magic on Uuxta Discord and the relevant info

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 years ago

May I ask why everything is the same on all of these apart from colors?

They also don't really feel like Phoenixes, for a number of reasons. Why token creation? And indestructible, while playing kinda similarly to recursion, is the opposite of the flavor of a Phoenix getting destroyed and then renewed.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

TurkeySloth

While the originals may have had different effects when kicked, I'm fairly sure that would've been the only difference. Rimewood's a direct import of the old green one, which generated the Nymph Dryads to partially capture the phoenix's rebirth cycle. I just copied the token generation to the others to fill them out. I, actually, played with asking about using an ability related to controlling zero/no more of the tokens generated for the rebirth ability during my initial posting but dropped it cause a.) it's a break for Gravedweller/Rimewood and b.) my proposed wording would have been discard bait and led to potentially getting a 5/3 as early as turn 2.

I reserve the right to sross-post your feedback on my designs to the Magic Set Editor fora, either in full or summary, to give critiquers there the full picture.

barbecube
Pronoun: he / him

Post by barbecube » 4 years ago

My suggestion here is to go back to Phoenix identity (fast, lightweight attackers that can recur themselves) and rework these cards within that identity, and beyond that, when you're creating a cycle, don't make the same card and post it five times.
formerly willows

TurkeySloth

barbecube wrote:
4 years ago
My suggestion here is to go back to Phoenix identity (fast, lightweight attackers that can recur themselves) and rework these cards within that identity, and beyond that, when you're creating a cycle, don't make the same card and post it five times.
I think you missed my entire last post.
Me (the relevant bits) wrote:...[T]he originals may have had different effects when kicked... I just copied [Rimewood's] token generation to the others to fill them out...
Thus, they, most likely, weren't meant to be the same card. I just wanted to post the entire cycle.

Evidently, I never got around to posting this original complete cycle on MTGS. I found with phoenixes below, though. I've spoiled them to indicate that I don't want them critiqued here.
Unique Phoenixes
Show
Hide
Icewing Phoenix {5UU}
Snow Creature -- Phoenix
Flying
Kicker—Discard a blue card
When Icewing Phoenix enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, put a freeze counter* on a permanent an opponent controls for each artifact and/or enchantment you control.
{2UU}, Remove all freeze counters* from permanents your opponents control: Return Icewing Phoenix from your graveyard to your hand.
5/5
[*]No accompanying rules due to deprecation.

Poisonfeather Phoenix {1BB}
Creature — Phoenix
Flying, deathtouch
Whenever Poisonfeather Phoenix deals damage to a player, that player gains a poison counter.
~ [enters the battlefield]* with a +1/+1 counter on it.
If ~ would be put into a graveyard from the battlefield, remove a +1/+1 counter from it and return it to [the battlefield]** under its owner's control.
1/1
[*]Originally, "comes into play," for some reason
[**]Originally, "play," for some reason

Rin, Firebound Fushicho {5RR}
Legendary Creature -- Phoenix {M}
Flying
When Rin, Firebound Fushicho enters the battlefield, it deals 3 damage to each opponent. If any amount of this damage is prevented, Rin deals that much damage to you instead.
{5RR}: Return Rin from your graveyard to your hand.
5/5

Thornfeather Phoenix {1BG}
Creature — Phoenix
Flying
Whenever Thornfeather Phoenix blocks or is blocked by a creature, that creature gets -1/-1 until the beginning of the end phase.
If you cast ~ from your hand, it enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it.
When ~ is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, if it had a +1/+1 counter on it, return it to the battlefield.
1/1

Desert Phoenix* {2RW}
Creature — Phoenix
Flying, persist, haste
{RRWW}: Return ~ from your graveyard to your hand.
{RRRWWW}: Return ~ from your exile** to the battlefield.
2/2
[*]Had a red/green duplicate named Oakwood Phoenix
[**]Originally, "...your exiled zone..."

Scorchbrush Phoenix {3RG}
Creature -- Phoenix (M)
Flying
Whenever Scorchbrush Phoenix dies, you may have it deal 4 damage to target creature you control. If you do, return Scorchbrush Phoenix to the battlefield.
4/2

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”