MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 2 years ago

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/24/21 is Spitting Hydra.

Yes - once upon a time Hydra was an exclusively red creature type!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/25/21 is Kamahl's Desire.

Stone Cold Steve Austin's Desire
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

If I were a 6/1, I too would desire first strike.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/27/21 is Veteran's Reflexes.

Not one of the better combat tricks ever printed, but easy to put in a custom Core Set.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/28/21 is Willow Priestess.

Homelands deserves some credit for really pioneering tribal as a set theme.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Ah, Willow Priestess!

Too bad it's on the reserved list. Almost feels like a Yu-Gi-Oh card. Great card for Faeries, but frustrating for more modern (hah! In more ways that one) players it's in the wrong color. For Commander, we really need a or legendary Faerie to allow for these random green oldies.

Oh well, there's always Rubinia Soulsinger.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 2 years ago

I love all those vanilla Homelands faeries, even when they're bad the art style is just where I live. this one being able to shove various Cliques into play is an example of a card with lovely trinkety text accidentally becoming useful and I support it <3

(ps. I've been sitting on a sort of community project idea and this is a great opportunity to mention it: I would love to find other amateur illustrators on Nexus and team up to make a set of reserved list proxies! maybe I should start a thread for this. I wouldn't be pushing for "good" art, I mostly work with really primitive polygons myself and wouldn't want to be encouraging any sort of arms race. dunno if that's an interesting idea or not, but after the thread on proxies just about everyone seemed arm-in-arm on the idea of not buying reserved cards.)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

As I've said millions of times. Homelands is not a bad set.

Also, since this is the card creation forum, I present: Gemma, Willow Priestess.

Gemma, Willow Priestess GU
Legendary Creature - Faerie Druid (R)
Hexproof
GU, T: Put target Faerie permanent card from your hand onto the battlefield.
1GU, T: Target creature you control gains hexproof until end of turn.
1/1

And yes, that is an actual character from Homelands.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/29/21 is City of Brass.

The oldest any-color land ever printed is also one of the best. Given the power of the ABU Duals however, maybe that's unsurprising.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 7/30/21 is Verdant Force.

A card I love for many reasons.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 8/4/21 is Soul Net.

Why there was such a fixation on Ivory Cup-alike artifacts in the oldest sets I will never know.

Morpic_Tide

Post by Morpic_Tide » 2 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
2 years ago
Why there was such a fixation on Ivory Cup-alike artifacts in the oldest sets I will never know.
Depresses "draw-go", burn, and "duck-and-cover" decks by messing with lethal breakpoints.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 8/5/21 is Living Hive.

Flavorwise the elementals of Mirrodin fascinate me. You have to assume they were... summoned? created? hired, even? by Karn to speed up the natural processes that would make the growth of Argentum possible.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

Tokenlink is one of my favorite mechanics, but one that doesn't get used very often, since I guess the design space is small. It's even got a recent variant in the form of Quartzwood Crasher. AFR's Wand of Orcus is the first one to translate X damage into more than X power in token form though.

Wilderness Uprising 2GGG
Enchantment (R)
Creatures you control have trample.
Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, put that many 2/2 green Wolf creature tokens onto the battlefield tapped.

Purphoros's Sculptor 2RR
Enchantment Creature — Satyr Shaman
Whenever an aethereal source you control deals damage to a player, create an X/X red Golem artifact creature token, where X is the damage dealt this way. (Enchantments, instants, and sorceries are aethereal.)
3/3
Last edited by spacemonaut 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

I guess one of the issues with tokenlink is that it happening on damage makes it hard to exploit. My go would be...

Wandering Hero 1gw
Creature - Human Bard Warrior (r)
Double Strike
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, Wandering Hero gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
Whenever Wandering Hero deals.combat damage to a player, create that many white 1/1 Human creature tokens.
1/2

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 8/18/21 is Ebony Horse.

What amusing flavor. Catch a ride out of the battle, I suppose.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Fleeing? Unacceptable

Brave Steed 1R
Creature — Horse
Haste
At the beginning of combat on your turn, up to one target creature you control gains haste until end of turn.
Brave Steed can't block.
3/2

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 2 years ago

I don't get the flavor.on this, but hell, horses have been a complicated issue. This and noble steeds weren't even creatures. Then the first actual horses I recall were huge 5/5's.

Fleeing Horse 1w
Creature - Horse (u)
2w: Untap Fleeing Horse and another targrt attacking of blocking creature you control. Remove both creatures from combat. Activate only if Fleeing Horse is attacking or blocking.
3/1

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 8/19/21 is Radiant Scrollwielder.

Secretly the mirror of Pestilent Spirit?

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

a dream setup:

Cymede the Seer 2W
Legendary Creature — Human Cleric
Instant and sorcery spells you control have lifelink.
(something something something)
Partners with Anax the Vengeful
3/3

Anax the Vengeful 2BR
Legendary Creature — Human Warrior
Instant and sorcery spells you control have deathtouch.
Partners with Cymede the Seer
4/4

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
a dream setup:

Cymede the Seer 2W
Legendary Creature — Human Cleric
Instant and sorcery spells you control have lifelink.
Partners with Anax the Vengeful
3/3

Anax the Vengeful 2BR
Legendary Creature — Human Warrior
Instant and sorcery spells you control have deathtouch.
Partners with Cymede the Seer
4/4
Colorwise, WB & BG respectively would be sweet(er) IMO.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Legend wrote:
2 years ago
What draws you to WBG?

I picked RWB for instance because and grant access to the abilities while grants access to instant+sorcery damage sources.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
Legend wrote:
2 years ago
What draws you to WBG?

I picked RWB for instance because and grant access to the abilities while grants access to instant+sorcery damage sources.
W & B have lifelink.

B & G have deathtouch.

R is certainly sensible. I was just thinking R is kind of on the nose and G in its place could lead to novel deck builds. Black, white, and even green have their share of direct damage.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 10/4/21 is Azorius Keyrune.

I do like the idea of the keyrune cycle - the combination of mana rocks and creature-lands is obvious but it works really well.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 10/6/21 is Alirios, Enraptured.

Fun little mechanical encapsulation of a myth. Normally I don't like mythological references that are THIS on-the-nose though.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”