MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 125
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/4/21 is Courser of Kruphix.

Pretty sure Kruphix is my fave Theros god and this card is one of the less broken variations of this effect.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 years ago

One of the things I like about this card (and about Magic in general) us that everything printed on the card seems like an upside, but it actually has a pretty strong drawback. It takes some skill to spot it, realuza what it is, and develop a plan to work around it (or accept it for what it is).

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/7/21 is Elven Riders.

I always liked the green reverse-reach ability...
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 3 years ago

Just put reverse-reach and reach on a creature and you have virtual flying! That's been an old discussion point and finally after Orchard Spirit WotC retired the ability.

Obviously Orchard Spirit also contains the updated wording referencing reach. Flying is special as a keyword ability that is functionally different if not keyworded.

Well, technically menace also could be printed without keyword and be different due to Odric, Lunarch Marshal et al. But Orchard Spirit would never receive the Oracle-update pre-menace menace creatures received.

Now this references Walls which is obviously a neat little twist. Emphasizes a bit the fact that WotC had to make a call whether to update the ability to refer to defender or keep the Wall. Flavor-wise it makes sense.

I like to group vigilance and defender for a "watchman" flavor, so creatures you wouldn't easily sneak past. In this context it's a fun observation that riders can't run past your least mobile and most mobile creatures.

These Beasts look gnarly. I'm prone to mixing up the nose holes and eye holes. Pretty prominent. Almost eclipsing the fact this is an Elf card. No class either.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/8/21 is Macabre Mockery.

Combination platter multicolor! Did you know: "Macabre" comes from the Jewish Maccabees who fought the Seleucid Empire in the first century BCE, because of the gruesome fates of many of the Maccabee heroes in later popular accounts?

SecretInfiltrator

I like that this takes the creature card from an opponent's graveyard. That way this isn't just a Zombify that's temporary and gets haste from the red, but actually a graveyard-based Threaten if you look at it from the other color. Makes this Chinese Menu card feel a bit more organic.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/9/21 is Giant's Amulet.

This whole cycle - the living weapon variants - is such a nice idea.

SecretInfiltrator

Custom card designers worked on Auras that enter the battlefield attached to tokens long before bestow and living weapon, but Equipment in general is making things much easier.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/14/21 is Kabira Takedown // Kabira Plateau.

Well that's an interesting color pie choice. I'm assuming this is purely experimental for now.

SecretInfiltrator

The kind of experiment that keeps tripping up custom designers forever if they decide against this venue.

After Hornet Sting MaRo mentioned he could see himself putting the card into white, but disagreed on green, so something like this was always possible. Not dealing damage to players probably helps this along.

Food for thought: Would switching around the colors of this and Thundering Sparkmage be an equal exchange with regards to the color pie?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

You know, I'd have to argue that Thundering Sparkmage would be green if it had to not be red, considering green's special relationship to the party mechanic.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/15/21 is Ghostly Pilferer.

Obviously an intentionally pushed rare utility/hoser creature, and one with a lot of what I call moving parts, but at least it's all mechanically cohesive and pretty flavorful.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/16/21 is Roiling Terrain.

Lenticularity!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/17/21 is Forgotten Lore.

I love this card's battle of wills aspect, but uuuugh, Harold McNeill.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

I love Jedi Regrowth :))

Seasonal Return 1gg
Sorcery
Any opponent may have you return a card of their choice from your graveyard to your hand. If no player does, mill 7 cards.
Return target card from your graveyard to your hand.

SecretInfiltrator

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/15/21 is Ghostly Pilferer.
I love the extreme feeling of disquiet the additional pair of hands emerging from the wall inspires in me despite otherwise shoving a fairly mundane humanoid spiritual shape. It's unsettling in a more subtle way than Uninvited Geist // Unimpeded Trespasser and I'm all for it.
void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/17/21 is Forgotten Lore.
I'll always appreciate the art style. All we need is a new less problematic artist reclaiming it for the community. Otherwise I could have seen a Secret Lair dropping for it.

Shrouded Lore was a fun color-shift. That design space has quite a few more options I suppose, the same way Fact or Fiction has sparked a whole genre of card designs.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Random Card of the Day for 2/19/21 is Aqueous Form.

I think this the cheapest permanent unblockability with extra upside ever printed. But did bogles.dek even ever play it? Don't think this made waves.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/20/21 is Giantbaiting.

Fun Ball Lightning variant that's hard to block.

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

Not really that hard, you just put a saproling in it's way and no damage. Would have been a lot more useful if the token had trample.

Taunt the Giants 2
Sorcery (C)
Create a 4/4 red and green Giant creature token with haste and trample. Exile it at your next end step.
Flashback 4RG
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/21/21 is Myr Welder.

Fun use of imprint.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/22/21 is Fin-Clade Fugitives.

I love seeing new Ravnican cards in setting-agnostic sets like core and Commander releases, but aesthetically, I always want cards that specifically depict pairs of creatures to either have even power and toughness values or have some clear difference between the two creatures "explaining" the p/t. In this instance I'm scratching my head which of the Simic freaks here is the 3/2 one and which is the 4/2.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 3 years ago

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
which of the Simic freaks here is the 3/2 one and which is the 4/2.
They are obviously both 3(1/2)/2.

As for the setting agnositc sets, I wish they would focus more on giving cards flavoured after planeswalkers. And I do not mean flavour focusing only on planeswalkers from the set, like Core 20 and Core 21 having many cards flavoured after Chandra and Teferi, respectively. There are many planeswalkers which do not have many cards with quote attribution and it would be nice for Oathbreaker players to have some for their more vorthosy decks. And it makes more sense to me to focus on planeswalkers in setting agnostic products, where cards are from many diffrent planes, then to reserve space for few chosen planeswalkers in plane-dedicated set. Both the people wanting more from their favourite planeswalker would be happy - even a reprint with the new flavour text mentioning or quoting PW is better then nothing - and those people annoyed by too much agency on part of PW during "advanced" sets storylines would be pleased.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

nothing about the Elf Salamander Rogue type combination screams "these people are tough!" power and toughness have become totally flavourless and it irritates me. 2/2s being bears and 3/3s being giants used to be perfectly evocative by itself. I can just stare at a 4/3 Human Scout now and think, ok, that's fine, makes perfect sense. =P

I'd kinda like to see some planeswalker down-time represented in card flavour text! I know the main lot are ultra-serious, goal-driven superheroes who just get into one conflict after another, but ex-antagonists like Kiora whose plots are kinda done still exist and it'd be nice to mention what they're doing on a few cards now and then. I liked Shadows over Innistrad, with its focus on fantasy casework, with Jace and Tamiyo actually paying attention to the setting they're in, and just like down-time in general. If you really wanna flesh out a character then show me what they do between battles, right?

SecretInfiltrator

void_nothing wrote:
3 years ago
In this instance I'm scratching my head which of the Simic freaks here is the 3/2 one and which is the 4/2.
What'a wrong with a 4/1 and a 3/3?

Though in this case obviously only one of them is equipped with a trident that gives +1/+0, so that's a clear giveaway.
Lorn Asbord Schutta wrote:
3 years ago
As for the setting agnositc sets, I wish they would focus more on giving cards flavoured after planeswalkers. There are many planeswalkers which do not have many cards with quote attribution and it would be nice for Oathbreaker players to have some for their more vorthosy decks.
Well, since this specific card has no flavor text, there wouldn't be a quote attribution one way or another. And I'm happy to not see planeswalkers crowding the card names. Would get repetitive really soon. : )
folding_music wrote:
3 years ago
nothing about the Elf Salamander Rogue type combination screams "these people are tough!"
They really should have shown more than two creatures there. ^^

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

folding_music wrote:
3 years ago
I can just stare at a 4/3 Human Scout now and think, ok, that's fine, makes perfect sense. =P
Obviously it is a really experienced scout, able to outmatch (most) bears, and doing a mutual kill on (many) giants.

Very Experienced Scout 2GW
Creature - Human Scout
Protection from bears.
1W, T: Very Experienced Scout fights target Giant creature.
4/3
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”