MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 3 years ago

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/24/21 is Knight of Valor.

I know flanking has plenty of problems as a mechanic but how can you not be charmed by that funky double-flanking ability, no matter how out of color it technically is?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 3 years ago

It's not really out of color. Flanking is primary in white and red, secondary in black, and tertiary in blue and green. It is also a mechanic that encourages attacking. The only thing really bad about it from a modern perspective is the "without flanking" rider on the keyword, and that is only because it would be simpler without it. But as I said, not out of color, after all, they printed Cavalry Master. As for the activated ability, that is also not out of color, as white can deal damage to attacking and blocking creatures regardless, and that is just a variation thereof. It's really no different than dealing 1 damage to each creature without flanking blocking it. The end result is the same.

Suq'Ata Flamerider 2R
Creature - Human Knight (C)
Flanking
1R: Suq'Ata Flamerider deals 1 damage to each creature without flanking blocking it. Play this ability only once each turn.
2/2
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/25/21 is Feedback.

What the hell was the logic behind blue getting these cards back in the day? There was also Power Leak and Power Taint and the vaguely similar Relic Bind so the trend wasn't THAT widespread, but at one time this sort of thing was just a Wild Growth/Evil Presence type of stock Aura design.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

There was no rhyme and reason in the early days of MTG, the color pie didn't really start to form until the Mirage Era, and didn't really start to solidify until Invasion, and even then it was still evolving because some colors ended up with to much of it (*cough* Blue *cough), while others got nearly none (green primarily). The color pie is still evolving, but at a much slower pace than in the early days, which is why it takes so much time for White's weaknesses to be addressed.

These days, a card like Feedback would most likely be black or red.

Volatile Essence 2
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant enchantment.
Enchanted enchantment has "At the beginning of your upkeep, this deals 1 damage to you."

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 years ago

from what I've been told, there was a time Green was allowed to do anything destructive as long as it could be wind-flavored, hence Desert Twister and Whirlwind. Maybe Blue was allowed to do basically anything as long as it was vaguely mind-flavored, like our darling Psionic Blast.

time to colorshift something:

Unearthed Discovery 2R
Instant
Draw three cards, then discard two cards unless you discard an artifact card.

SecretInfiltrator
Pronoun: they / them

Post by SecretInfiltrator » 3 years ago

I don't see the problem. Once you accept that blue gets to deal damage, which it did back then, why not give it the ability to damage based on permanents that it cannot remove because it's weak at removal? It is literally a solution suggested these days in red as shown above. Outdated designs are outdated.

Imagine you don't know the modern mecahnical color pie. Why is that card wrong again? These kind of attrition affects belonged to blue because blue was allowed back up cards that could kill an opponent over the course of twenty turns with cards that could keep them alive for twenty turns. Prodigal Sorcerer works on a similar logic. In essence the controlling nature of those decks still feels blue enough - maybe more so than dropping a hexproof flying Leviathan Serpent on turn 8 does. *shrug*

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 2/28/21 is Inga Rune-Eyes.

I like the aspect of wrath hosing here.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/2/21 is Luminous Guardian.

I like the Guardian subtype for some unfathomable reason so I currently use it in my designs.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Inga Rune-Eyes would be even more incredible for wrath hosing if she had flash.

And, incidentally, would be good as a Guardian!

Meletian Pontiff WW
Enchantment Creature — Spirit Guardian (R)
Vigilance
Spells your opponents cast that target creatures you control cost 1 more to cast.
Whenever Meletian Pontiff or another creature you control dies, if it wasn't dealt damage this turn, draw a card.
2/2

(Maybe busted when paired with sacrifice outlets.)

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Sadly, Guardian is no longer a creature type in official MTG design, which makes cards like Ivory Guardians really, really bad. Also, fun fact: Ivory Guardians have been errata'd three times. And none of the Errata cause it to do what it originally did. Giving all guardians +1/+1 as long as an opponent controls a red card. These days it only boosts other creatures named "Ivory Guardians" which makes it a terrible uncommon.

Guardian of the Gate 3WW
Creature - Giant Soldier (U)
Protection from red.
Other creatures you control with Guardian or Guardians in it's name get +1/+1 as long as an opponent controls a red permanent.
3/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Moonsilver Guardians WW
Creature - Spirit Knight Guardian (U)
Protection from white
Guardians you control get +1/+1 and have "2: This creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn" as long there are three or more other white permanents on the battlefield.
When Moonsilver Guardians leaves the battlefield, each player draws a card.
2/2

Nacre Guardians 2WW
Creature - Elemental Wizard Guardian (U)
This spell can't be countered.
Protection from blue
Guardians you control get +1/+1 and have flying as long there are three or more other blue permanents on the battlefield.
2/4

Scrimshaw Guardians 1WW
Creature - Kor Rogue Guardian (U)
Flash
Protection from black
Guardians you control get +1/+1 and have lifelink as long there are three or more other black permanents on the battlefield.
3/2

Binchōtan Guardians 4WW
Creature - Fox Samurai Guardian (U)
Bushido 3, protection from red
Guardians you control get +1/+1 and have double strike as long there are three or more other red permanents on the battlefield.
3/4

Birch Guardians 3WW
Creature - Elf Cleric Guardian (U)
Vigilance, protection from green
Guardians you control get +1/+1 and have grapple as long there are three or more other green permanents on the battlefield. (A creature with grapple can't be blocked by more than one creature.)
4/3

Diamond Guardians 2WW
Creature - Elephant Warrior Guardian (U)
Trample, protection from multicolored
Guardians you control get +1/+1 and have stalwart as long as there are three or more other multicolored permanents on the battlefield. (A creature with stalwart can be assigned to block an additional time each combat.)
3/3

Bismuth Guardians 1WW
Creature - Human Ally Guardian (U)
Protection from colorless
Guardians you control get +1/+1 and have "2: This creature gains indestructible until end of turn" as long there are three or more other nonland colorless permanents on the battlefield.
When Bismuth Guardians leaves the battlefield, target opponent sacrifices a nonland colorless permanent.
2/3

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

What I don't get is why something that protects trees has protection from green. Protects them from herbivores I guess? 🤷‍♂

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

I was going for "material that can be associated with the protected color that is literally white." :B

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/5/21 is Opportunity?

What is this? A skyship for ants?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/6/21 is Goblin Grenade.

The best non-Thallid thing to come out of FE!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/9/21 is Price of Fame.

Ey, gotta love the bonus Commander utility.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/12/21 is Death's Shadow.

ICONIC. One of my favorite designs ever.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/14/21 is Vigilante Justice.

I want to see more red Humans-matter in Innistrad sets, just because red does have a lot of good Humans that you could really make a nice aggro deck out of.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Vigilante Justice is in a category of cards that's among my favorite: impact effects, like Impact Tremors or Warstorm Surge. What's better than dumping down a bunch of tokens? Annihilating something else at the same time!

Frightening Packlord 1BR
Creature — Demon Beast
Whenever Frightening Packlord or another creature enters the battlefield under your control, target creature an opponent controls gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
Whenever Frightening Packlord attacks, target creature an opponent controls must block this turn if able.
3/3

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/21/21 is Power Struggle.

Yes, I'm as surprised as you that I randomed an Astral card.

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 3 years ago

Nice. I had almost forgotten about Astral cards. It's been so long that the art feels new to me, making me wish Magic art was still like that. I never played the game. Here's a link to the mothership.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2009-02-12
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

SecretInfiltrator

Okay, but I wish it would have been Whimsy, because I want to know what you think this card would do if re-released in the new upcoming fictional digital-only silver-bordered product. Momir Vig, Simic Visionary Avatar/Jhoira of the Ghitu Avatar-like effect tapping into all "fast effects" there ever were? IIRC that included even triggered abilities and activated abilities, basically anything that had been programmed into the game. Power Struggle truly is a tame Astral card by comparison.

EDIT: I found an old re-design I made for Power Struggle. : )

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

The MTGNexus Custom Card Creation Random Card of the Day for 3/23/21 is Tainted Pact.

Ah yes, the fixed Demonic Consultation that takes three reads to figure out if you're seeing it for the first time. This card's now iconic in its own right however.

Morpic_Tide
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Morpic_Tide » 3 years ago

Draw until you draw a repeat? For two mana? I can imagine many potential Commander decks that'd kill for that kind of card advantage. Though mostly stuff like Slivers or Jodah with $600+ mana bases...

SecretInfiltrator

Morpic_Tide wrote:
3 years ago
Draw until you draw a repeat? For two mana? I can imagine many potential Commander decks that'd kill for that kind of card advantage. Though mostly stuff like Slivers or Jodah with $600+ mana bases...
Singleton formats mitigate part of that drawback, but you should read the card again: You only look at the next card if you decide against putting the previous card in your hand, so at best you get a single card and at worst your top two cards were basic Swamps (and you didn't take the first. But with enough nonbasic lands and some snow-covered basic back-up you might be able to actually have a truly Singleton decks with no risk of running into repeats (and getting zero cards).

This card is no Treasure Hunt. It's more about card quality than quantity.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”